Model Cars Magazine Forum

With the upcoming release of the AMT Peterbilt 352 from Round 2 I wander if Tim or others might have any comments on it,s good and bad points etc. Even though I've built the kit countless times since it's original release it would be good to hear others comments.

As with any old-technology kit, there are some issues with flash and mold parting seams to clean up.

The kit represents a very early "Pacemaker" cab 352 - the cab evolved over its life with the headlamp buckets changing, roof air conditioners changing 3 times, sleeper vents moving rearward and the rear window indents being omitted. Mostly costmetic stuff for modelers.

The kit has some design flaws, more like artistic liberties that the guys 1225 Troy Street took back in '70. The cab tilt hinges are spread too far apart, then should be close to the radiator. The type of exhaust used was an early cab mounted style, but they got the muffler to cab mounts all wrong. The kit has the air horns mounted center on the roof - this was never a factory horn location.

The kit also is missing the weatherstrip at the corner of the windshields. This is an easy fix with a piece of plastic painted to match the kit weather stripping.

Tim

The official year was '70. Unilite 352 was built through 1969 - but that doesn't mean that some '70 titled units weren't built in '69.

Change the headlamp buckets for the external lip and rivets: '71+

Move the sleeper vents rearward: '70+

Remove the sleeper window indents: '70+ (short lived rear panel). Actual windows were larger.

Larger front nameplate: '73 and newer

Rounded top battery box with 2 air tanks under it: '75+

Larger grab handles: '75+

"Easy Entry" (backwards S) grab handle: '75 newer (first seen in '74 ads with original concept in '73 - I'm seen hanging on the truck with the "Easy Entry" steps in the attached photo)

Lower door handles: '76+

Interior changes: Base interior with Classic padding identical to kit - available through all years.

A third defroster vent was added in '73. Curved rather than flat.

Classic II interior in '75 (think Revell of Germany 359 interior).

Cab sizes: 54, 63, 76, 86, 110 (110" debut late '71 for '72).

Pretty much anything was available exhaust and air cleaner configuration wise.

meand352-vi.jpg

Tim

If you look at the 352 in my photo - the air cleaner is more like the size of the one used in the Kenworth K123 kit. AMT shared parts with the 359 kit, that is also why the roof intake is so small. The Revell or even the Ertl metal framed 359 kit air cleaner cap (Eric at P&P has this cast) is more appropriate in size). The truck in the pic was used at the MATS truck show that year ('73). It had the first tubular style chassis exhaust mounts (available in wide or narrow spread, painted or chromed).

Tim

Here's a fleet-spec 352 for the old Spector (see Jerry at ModelTruckin for decals) company. Note the stacked slender Farr dry cell air cleaner, the 2 hole wheels, 73" BBC cab (no baggage door), the space saver thin battery box, since chassis mounted exhaust and the rear windows.

So54047SpectorCOE563-vi.jpg

This 63" 282 (single drive 352) was spec'd for Milne (green and red). Chassis mounted exhaust and air cleaner. Look at the curved pipe of the top of the air cleaner - it looks a lot like the under cab pipe used to connect the air cleaner to the bottom of the cab in the kit. An in-line engine (in white).

So60304TerminalLeasing566-vi.jpg

Here's a nice dashboard pic. Note the color of the metal on the painted surfaces above the dog house. "Peterbilt green" was standard. Available was bronze brown/gold, black, red, medium green and blue painted surfaces with matching padding available on the dash above the dog house.

CMS352lookslikeLigon589-vi.jpg

Here's the same engine that is in the kit, the Detroit Diesel 8v71. This one even has the chrome plated valve covers that the kit has.

Note the "Eiffel Tower" exhaust mounts. The engineer who designed this retired from Peterbilt in '06. You've seen a lot of his designs and group projects over the years.. everything from the 1100 cab, round-door sleepers, Dash of Class, Unibilt sleepers, etc..

8v71chromevalvecov606-vi.jpg

From The Class of '74 brochure.

Note the Air Leaf suspension pictured. If you take the Air Leaf off an AMT T501 Pete 359 you can mount it on the 352's from with some modifications to both frame rails and suspension parts. The Revell of Germany would fit too, but you'd have more work with the spring mounts getting removed from the RoG frame rails.

You gotta love the two Class Ad calender/poster shots with the Class Women and the classic cars!

352classof74-vi.jpg

Tim, thanks for the information. Back then, I could not afford a Peterbuilt, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to them. I painted a 76 model 352 with a wraparound mural w/ the incredibel hulk theme. I'm in the process of locating some of my old sign jobs I lost pictures of. The owner says he still has pics of it, and of a 359 I painted for him.