Model Cars Magazine Forum

06' Mustang - Heavy Conversion

Enzoenvy1

Ok, so here goes another one that I have been wanting to do for a long time. I hated the new Mustangs when they came out, but now it is one of my favorite cars period. I really think Ford got it right and the after market makes them even better. I love the Roush/Shelby/Cevini’s, all of the after market companies different approaches. But, I want to build my own in the way I would want it. So, I snagged the Revell kit and was off.

Build1001-1.jpg

Here is what it looks like box stock and dry-fitted.

Build1002-1.jpg

Build1003-1.jpg

Build1004-1.jpg

Build1005-1.jpg

Build1007-1.jpg

First off, I needed a hood that meant business. So, I decided after a few drawings that I wanted a massive hood scoop. I almost did cowl induction, but this was the desired approach.

Build1008-1.jpg

Build1009-1.jpg

Build1010-1.jpg

Build1011.jpg

Build1012.jpg

Then I wanted to shave the door handles and fill in the rear side windows. I like the ideas of Shelby’s GT 500’s from long ago. I filled them and will later add scoops.

Build1014.jpg

Build1015.jpg

So I completed the hood and I think it looks serious! LOL Then I decided long and hard on what I wanted the body to be like. I have always liked wide body Mustangs, so I needed to try my own attempt. I extended the flares with Styrene and then used small pieces to fill the curve. I like doing this better than just putty as this is stronger.

Build1008-2.jpg

I also added a skirt extension to later add the width to the body.

Build1009-2.jpg

Build1011-1.jpg

Build1012-1.jpg

Build1013-1.jpg

I then filled in the third brake light and the bumper. This is a street machine, but I want a showroom build.

Build1010-2.jpg

I am going to use the second wing pictured and modify the sides of it.

Build1007-2.jpg

Here are the laughable stock wheels and tires. I am definitely not using these. In fact, I might throw them away as I can never see myself using them.

Build1014-1.jpg

So, here are my options. Please tell me what rims you like the best.

Build1001-2.jpg

Build1002-2.jpg

Build1003-2.jpg

Build1004-2.jpg

Build1005-2.jpg

Build1006-1.jpg

I like 1, 2, and 6 as what I want. But, I need opinions please.

So, this is the start of a killer Mustang that I would like in real life. Hopefully you all like it.

Jon

For Fun - I am up to around 50 un built kits now, ###### this hobby is so addictive.

Build6012-1.jpg

lookin good i really like the fender flares.i think the 1st set of wheels look the best. how long have u had all those unbuilt models? cant believe u havent built the SLR Mclaren

Well, the SLR is going to be another undertaking. I have this problem with buying everything possible for every model I own. I can not ever seem to do an OOB build. That one is going to take some time. I have like 4 others that will be before it. Well, maybe I should do the SLR, who knows.

Well, the SLR is going to be another undertaking. I have this problem with buying everything possible for every model I own. I can not ever seem to do an OOB build. That one is going to take some time. I have like 4 others that will be before it. Well, maybe I should do the SLR, who knows.

i feel your pain. on just about every model i do i have to put in a different engine, a set of wheels, new exhaust, brakes, interiors , something to make it different. after i get my Enzo done im going to change a ford gt into something like a special ferrari. im putting a f430 v8 in it with a supercharger, some body mods wheels, stuff to make it look sortof like a ferrari. im calling it the ferrari 438s.

and i think u should do the SLR. besides corvettes, the SLR is my favorite car

I prefer the Advans. I have lately taken quite the liking to the Advans. Next would be the multi spoke chrome #3. Again, depends on the body color. I would just repaint the Advans to match the color, but like I said, I like Advans :)

Here are the laughable stock wheels and tires. I am definitely not using these. In fact, I might throw them away as I can never see myself using them.

Build1014-1.jpg

So, here are my options. Please tell me what rims you like the best.

Build1001-2.jpg

Build1002-2.jpg

Build1003-2.jpg

Build1004-2.jpg

Build1005-2.jpg

Build1006-1.jpg

I like 1, 2, and 6 as what I want. But, I need opinions please.

So, this is the start of a killer Mustang that I would like in real life. Hopefully you all like it.

Jon

For Fun - I am up to around 50 un built kits now, ###### this hobby is so addictive.

Build6012-1.jpg

I'll take the stock wheels off your hands. Just let me know how much you need to ship them!!

I'll take the stock wheels off your hands. Just let me know how much you need to ship them!!

Hey Kully, great work so far. I like #4 as the wheel option, but the offset is not wide enough. I think #1 will give you the correct aggresive look that you are looking for. Because you fender flares are so wide you need a wheel that has a fat outer lip to give the illusion of having really wide tires.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Crawley, and I suffer from modeler's ADD

Hey Kully, great work so far. I like #4 as the wheel option, but the offset is not wide enough. I think #1 will give you the correct aggresive look that you are looking for. Because you fender flares are so wide you need a wheel that has a fat outer lip to give the illusion of having really wide tires.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Crawley, and I suffer from modeler's ADD

Kully?! I am confused.

Rim choice #1 comes with an additional lip and that was my first choice as well. I will be extending the axle and front hubs to fit it better, but I do indeed think a deep lip is needed.

Thanks for looking all of you!

Man, that Stang is BAD!!!! The color will influence your rim choice, but for now I like the first ones. Good job on the widebody and the BOSS hood. It reminds me of a Mustang I built in the video game "Need For Speed Most Wanted"! Check out the threads of my '07 Trans Am and my '06-9 Charger.

The Stang indeed does look good! Most of the wheels are fine, what is wrong is the size of the TIRE! It needs more meat in my opinion. I would look for something that will really fill those wheel wells and give this puppy some agressive muscle! Not those wimpy rubber band tires... leave those for the tuners...

:rolleyes:

I agree that you need both higher profile tires and a lip in the wheels. I also think you you should run one of the first three wheels because they would have the least unsprung weight. Unsprung weight effects acceleration, braking and cornering more than sprung weight. For all those that have not studied vehicle dinamics, unsprung weight is the wheels, brakes, suspension, and anything else that dosen't move with body.

• 1 month later...

Well after all of the Jeep frustrations and no desire to finish the CS, I decided that I needed to further modify this model. Now that finals are over, I have some time. I can honestly say that this is a lot of modding for the wheels to fit and the body work. But hey, isn't that the point?!?!?!

After looking around at other options to make my body kit I decided that the styrene chunk approach was completely wrong. I would have so many surface irregularities that it would not work. So I broke out all 200 pieces of styrene and then taped off the fenders to prevent putty from ruining the curves.

001jpg.jpg

003jpg.jpg

004jpg.jpg

After reading an article in a certain magazine they recommended how to lower this kit by simply cutting out links in the rear coils. So I tried that and found that the axle housing hit the floor pan. I also had to figure out the width of the axles as the new wheels are a lot deeper to the hub and a lot wider overall. So I used the Revell hubs glued onto the axles and then shaved them.

010jpg.jpg

The brakes were no way suitable for a real machine like this. I laughed at them and immediately thought of improvements. I have about 18 pairs of brakes from Ferrari's so that was obvious. I also had left over PE discs for the F430 so ti was a match.

011jpg.jpg

012jpg.jpg

I had to lower the front suspension by cutting 2 mm off of the frame supports for the front independent arms. Together the front and rear lowered the car a lot. This was my goal as I wanted it on its wheels by the end of the day.

Now to the body. Here is where I am today.

002jpg.jpg

003jpg-1.jpg

005jpg-1.jpg

I wanted a completely unique front end that I have not seen yet on the web or any Mustang. So I cut out the stock front airdam and the ran a strip of styrene around the lip to add a smooth contour. I then added a thick lip to the undertray that goes all the way back to the wheel housings. this was then sanded to match the contours of the hood and bumper. I am loving it.

Front brakes.

006jpg.jpg

Engine painted OOB with weathering.

008jpg.jpg

009jpg.jpg

Rear axle with rotors finally added. Just to get these wheels to fit was a major chore, major.

010jpg-1.jpg