Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '32 Ford Sedan

Dang it, Bob! I was all set to do mine as a highboy 'til I saw that pic! Why'd you have to go and mess me up like that? :lol:

What's funny is that I had walked right past it, glancing at it a bit but not too closely, something else caught my eye further up the lane, as I was walking back towards the '32 I realized "hey, that's the Revell Tudor kit that was just announced!!!" (this was in July) so I took the photo and then looked at the car more closely. That's when I realized how sweet it was, it's as nice a street rod as you'll ever see, but done in a very subtle/non-flashy color combo. I'm glad it wasn't bright red, or a candy color, or pseudo-rat-rod. Up until seeing this car, I wasn't particularly wild about the new kit, I've already got the chopped Hoving 3 window and the highboy to build, but dang it...I saw this and I HAVE to build it!! So don't blame it on me, blame it on the guy who built the 1:1 :P

I recieved 3 a couple of days ago. Kinda disappointed, cowl lights, stock tailights, but no stock grille shell badge or stock rad. cap, and why don't they start chroming the intake manifolds. The wires are just full of plating on the outside of the spokes, no wholes, I think they could have been designed with the cross of the spokes alittle closer to the center of the spokes. And just one more, the stock taillight lenses are clear not in red like the generic taillights. And the tires keep getting bigger for the fronts, I started using these 20+ yrs ago on the 1/24 scale early hot rod type cars, they got it right on the 32 hyby., very small in frt., tall in back, big and littles, not kinda big and kinda small. Just my opinion.

Hey, y'all quit yer belly achin!! I haven't got mine yet as no one around here has had it in stock yet. I even had to special order it from the LHS. I may just break down and order one from tower as the special order at the LHS might be two weeks out still :P

My ONLY gripe is the flathead is hooked up to a modern auto. It isn't much of a complaint, so it probably doesn't matter to about 85% of the buyers of the kit. It would have been nice to have a vintage manual on the casting but that would have required a bit more tooling just to do the driveshaft. The chassis on this one is already modernized so I am asking for too much there. It's just one of the sacrifices they made that we have to deal with.

About that tranny....alot of rodders use C4's behind flatheads....as a matter of fact, that's what our own modeler/journalist Drew Hierwater has in his 1/1 scale Track Roadster, IIRC>

R-M had to put in a new driveshaft for the Flathead/C4 anyway so that was not a factor in the decision to use the C4.

I realize some of you would have preferred a more "true to form" vintage speed version but given that tRM chose to retain the 5.0L version (100% correct decision in my form), they then choose to make the Flathead alternative a "modern" build rather that a "restored 1950;'s build". and stocked the parts needed for that.

Besides, there are very nice Flatheads with traditional tranny's in Revell's '40 Ford and '48 Ford kits, they should be easily swappable into this kit.

Just my view....TIM

I picked one of these up today..sweet kit.. and I'm a casual hot rod fan, more into '60s-70s subjects... I'll probably have to get two of these, want to do them w/ the wire wheels and flathead. TThe steelies w/ hubcaps and whitewalls in the '31 Tudor kit might look good also. The 302 I have uses for with some '70s Mustangs, and the 5-spoke mags definitely will work w/ '60s muscle cars.

One interesting factoid about this kit and the 30 Ford Woody (picked one up today also) is that they box art has the older style, multi-color Revell logo--so they've gone back to this instead of the simplified, all blue logo I've seen on other recent (last year or so) kits?

Edited by Rob Hall

...One interesting factoid about this kit and the 30 Ford Woody (picked one up today also) is that they box art has the older style, multi-color Revell logo--so they've gone back to this instead of the simplified, all blue logo I've seen on other recent (last year or so) kits?

Yezindeed, Rob. They actually instituted that change with the AAR 'Cuda reissue, which might have been scheduled originally to come out after the '55 Chevy hardtop - that was the last kit with the blue logo.

• 1 year later...
These are the same tires that were in the two earlier Deuce kits that had options to built as fendered rod _ the 3-window and the Speedwagon _ albeit without the Goodyear lettering, and, they are close to perfect, size-wise, for a fendered rod.

The Goodyear Blue Streak tires, sans lettering, correct? Great, if so. :D These are a great wheel and tire combo!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...
On 11/30/2007 at 11:18 PM, dub said:

MORE PICS PLEASE!!!

Pics here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1587/revell-ford-sedan-street-rod

Though it's been 13+ years since this kit debuted, I think it was in Revell's lineup for a few years, so they can still be found for a reasonable cost. Really a great overall kit with a good mix of both vintage-style and modern parts, with plenty of raw material to form the basis for any type of '32 Ford Sedan you want to build. Hopefully current Revell sees fit to reissue this one within the next few years.

2v2a2vNbMx6bzhT.jpg

2v2a2vMPNx6bzhT.jpg

2v2a2vMLjx6bzhT.jpg

Edited by Casey

I’d like it if they brought back the roadster version - I wish I’d stashed more of those away when they were cheap and readily available!

A new body would be cool too - although I’m not sure what they could do next that would sell in decent enough numbers....

I'm partial to Phaetons myself. 

(Touring Cars, aka Tubs)

I think that a Fordor Sedan or a nice Touring would be good sellers. They have grown in popularity in the 1 to 1 world.

My honest feeling about the '32 kits is this, however. Unless there was another body tooled at the same time as the Sedan and 5 Window Coupe, I think that the '32 Ford kits are over with.  We may see them released again in the future, possibly even with some engine or parts swapping (ala the Model A kits, changing engines), but otherwise what you have now is all you are ever going to have. Revell/Blitz is not going to invest a penny in what is now a 25(?) year old tool. They'll run it again, as it is easy money, but I doubt they will do anything more with it. It's sad really, that such a wonderful and ground breaking kit will be left this way, but so far, I've seen not the smallest particle of evidence that Blitz has any clue what they bought. They would have been just as happy buying an Auto Parts Chain, a Women's Clothing store chain, or a Perfumery.  All that matters to them (and all VC groups is money). Now, obviously, somebody there had to have noticed the Revell Bankruptcy, and known enough about model kits, to interest corporate in the opportunity to invest and make some money. But I'd bet a years salary that anyone who approached them with several millions in cash, would walk away owning Revell.

It's all about ROI. In their world, Everything is for sale.

33 minutes ago, alexis said:

My honest feeling about the '32 kits is this, however. Unless there was another body tooled at the same time as the Sedan and 5 Window Coupe, I think that the '32 Ford kits are over with.  We may see them released again in the future, possibly even with some engine or parts swapping (ala the Model A kits, changing engines), but otherwise what you have now is all you are ever going to have. Revell/Blitz is not going to invest a penny in what is now a 25(?) year old tool. They'll run it again, as it is easy money, but I doubt they will do anything more with it. 

I dunno. The strategic plan of Revell was to invest in new tooling for timeless vehicles we’d build over and over. The 32s were the start of this, and the Model As were the follow up.  

There were definitely more Model As planned.. there are clues in the kits including the full detail in the fixed lid trunk. I used the excellent batteries and fuel tanks in other builds where they’d be on display.

And there was always the opportunity to add more to the 32s, maybe more difficult now with changes in personnel and loss of company files.  But in today’s market.. especially with recent announcements by all the model companies, I’ve learned never say never!  We may be happily surprised 

Well, Tom, I hope you are correct. They are some of my favorite kits, too. But, Revell is a very different animal now than it was. Everything "new" that we have seen on the market, was designed and tooled by the Team at Pre-Bankruptcy Revell. All Blitz has done is utilize existing resources. Nothing "really new" has come from Revell.

I will be very curious to see if Blitz puts any of "Their Own" money into Research & Design of new tooling, or simply sells Revell off to the highest bidder, before having to invest any capital in developing new products. My bet is that there will be a sale pending in the not too distant future.

Like you though, I sincerely want to be proven wrong.

Edited by alexis
Grammar

The VC guys bought assets of a bankruptcy. Hobbico screwed up with owing too much. 
Yes, Blitz spent money to make money. They have other assets in hobby biz. The tools are useless if you don’t run plastic thru them, or sell stuff off that doesn’t make money, is out of date. Which is exactly what they’re doing. 
They have arguably some of the best molds in the business. 69 Camaro, Deuces, Chargers, A’s, snap stuff. The company does business in EU, US, Poland, China. New contracts with everyone. 
Amazing how people expect it to work simply. It doesn’t. It took Round 2 awhile, and they have great Sci-FI stuff. 
VC isn’t evil. It puts money and people to work. Makes products. Sells products. Then makes money. Investing for return. Try it. 

Put me down for B400, roadster/regular pickup,  and a phaeton. 

Edited by keyser

Dang, I showed up to this revived thread hoping Casey had info of a rerelease of the Sedan. Dang it.

I'm not writing off Blitz' management of the Revell USA brand just yet. But watching Revell AG release all new kits (Jaguar, and others) and not seeing anything that wasn't already under development under Hobbico from Revell USA. But I'm not giving up hope yet. it's a new year with new potential.