Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacey David's Rat Roaster by : REVELL

Greg Myers

Watched the Drag-n-wagon episode today. Saw the Revell 48 Ford Woody during the recap, and it looked like box art for the Roaster in the background.

They had the box art at IHOBBY. My best guess based on the conversation with them is late 4th quarter 2012 or 1st quarter 2013. We may know more when the mid-year announcements come out in the few weeks.

Those front tires look exactly like those in the Revell '32 Ford Orange Crate kit.

It will be interesting to see how Revell handles the rear tires, not to mention the Weiand blower and the trunk/rumble seat area.

I wonder what kind of numbers the publicity from this will generate. You don't see a lot of model car stuff on TV, I hope this stirs up some positive sales for the LHSs. I'm still a little upset with Mr. David over all the insulting of the Miata during the Banshee build but his promotion of our hobbie tempers that a bit.

I want one.

Edited by samdiego

• 3 weeks later...

While this kit may have its pro's and cons, I cannot BELIEVE the negativity from you fellas and you haven't even SEEN the kit yet ! I'm beginning to think that model car people are the most negative group of people on the PLANET !For my part, I just want to give kudos to REVELL for giving us a model like this, whether you want to build it 'outta da box' or you're going to buy it for parts....And LAY OFF THE HAIR !....Go to a model show / swap meet, us model car guys hain't got a THING on the rest of the world when it comes to hair styles ( or lack thereof....) 'Z'

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this kit as well. Having followed the buildup of the Rat Roaster from start to finish, plus having some inside information about the build that wasn't aired (like how the exhaust is actually routed), I plan on getting one to build as the car actually is. I'm also planning to get at least 1 more to build with some of the suggestions i made on the Gearz site before the color and engine were officially announced (for those who saw the engine reveal episode, I was the nutcase that suggested a Pontiac! :rolleyes: )

Naw, the party's overflowing towards the front, too. :D All kidding aside, I find Mr. David to be one of the most likable TV personalities of all the "car shows", regardless of his hairstyle.

I've heard that he is likable and fan friendly and yes the "rat roaster" IS a high dollar car. But when you got it, spend it as life is short.

Stacey is one of us, what's goimg on here? I like his show and love this hot rod. I can't wait to get my hands on one and the first will be pretty much box stock and green. Lay off our brother hot rodder and model builder and his hair. ( by the way, I am BALD and I don't care.)

I'm gonna hold off hoping Revell will pan some of Stacey's other projects for kit subjects until it is seen how well this kit does in the marketplace. That being said... I fully expect Revell to sell a ton of these kits, and yes, put me down for a Power Wagon kit. Even if it's stock-only, I've got enough junk in the spares box and a few aftermarket resources to build it as Sgt. Rock. B)

I know I'm up for quite a few Rat Roasters- I can use pretty much everything from the kit besides the Chevy engine for all kinds of projects.

I know it's not out quite out yet but was I the only one to see what must be a test shot or something on Gearz this week? It isn't that far from the original '32 Highboy kit, different interior tub, moon tank out front, big ol' Rat motor w/sprint style headers,windshield frame is different,& of course the fenders, & the "up in the clouds" stance. Can't wait 'til Revell gets the real McCoy to us.

I have little interest in a RR model, but I can see a ton of potential in the seats, wheels and tires, Moon style fuel tank, and motorcycle fenders alone.

I only hope there is a figure of Mr. David included, accurate right down to the Middle Ages helmet hair. :D

Kudos to Revell for producing a specific hot rod, and not another generic rod and/or custom. I think this kit will be a great seller for Revell, and hopefully helps them continue to build upon the success of their annual(?) model contest, too.

well stated. totally agree

• 1 month later...

That's too bad. I'm really curious if it's just a reissue of the highboy roadster street rod with a new engine and box art, or if this is actually a newly tooled kit with unique parts we haven't seen before.

On other forums it was said this was an 'all-new' kit.

I tend to believe it's an all new kit, too, as the trim on the body, the lightening holes around the seats, and the license plate recess would mean irreversibly modifying Revell's existing '32 Ford roadster body shell.