Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford C motor?

I've been told that the motor in the Ford C kit is a 534SD, but I have also heard it is one of the smaller motors. I was wondering if there is anyone familiar with the Ford motors who could verify which motor is in the kit or if there was more than one motor issued since the kit has been released as both a C600 and a C900 tractor.

From what information I've been able to find Ford did not offer the 534SD in a truck smaller than the tandem axle CT900 and the largest motor offered in the C600 was the 361HD. The smallest motor in the C900 was the 401SD so there is not cross over between the two although the C600 and C800 both were available with the 361HD.

After some research it seems like the 534SD which was only offered in the largest of the C series would be an odd choice so I am wondering how accurate my earlier information was. The 361HD seems like a more reasonable guess although the 391 or 401 would be reasonable if the C900 tractor kit came before the C600 kit (I think it was the other way around).

Thanks

I've been told that the motor in the Ford C kit is a 534SD, but I have also heard it is one of the smaller motors. I was wondering if there is anyone familiar with the Ford motors who could verify which motor is in the kit or if there was more than one motor issued since the kit has been released as both a C600 and a C900 tractor.

From what information I've been able to find Ford did not offer the 534SD in a truck smaller than the tandem axle CT900 and the largest motor offered in the C600 was the 361HD. The smallest motor in the C900 was the 401SD so there is not cross over between the two although the C600 and C800 both were available with the 361HD.

After some research it seems like the 534SD which was only offered in the largest of the C series would be an odd choice so I am wondering how accurate my earlier information was. The 361HD seems like a more reasonable guess although the 391 or 401 would be reasonable if the C900 tractor kit came before the C600 kit (I think it was the other way around).

Thanks

The motors in the C600/900 trucks are the gas "Lincoln" motors. Probabaly 430CI or so but maybe down to 366CI.

Guest Anthony Oteri
I've wondered also what the engine in the AMT C trucks, and the AMT Louisville truck kits are... they look big.

The motor in the Louisville is a Caterpillar 3208, naturally aspirated version.

I've wondered also what the engine in the AMT C trucks, and the AMT Louisville truck kits are... they look big.

Hi, The engine that is in the louisville kit is cat 3208 diesel non-turbo. You could put the engine in the C900 tractor since I know Roadway Express used these trucks in the late 80's early 90's. The gas engine in the c900/600 is a true truck motor. Steve

• 3 weeks later...

The engine in the C-600 is of the Super Duty series, sizes included 410,477 and 534 ci. all these engines were available in 2 or 4 barrel carb. versions and shared the same architecture. They were never used in cars and are not Lincoln engines.

Caterpillar 3208 engines offered in 1970 for the L series Ford were 170,200 and 225 H.P. and should be painted Ford blue.

Yes Ford did offer various diesels of their own, the last one being the 6.9 and 7.8 Brazilian built (New Holland) in line six.

Ford of England did supply some Dorsset Diesels in the '60's for the U.S. market, and possibly some other engines originally intended for off shore markets..

The engine in the C-600 is of the Super Duty series, sizes included 410,477 and 534 ci. all these engines were available in 2 or 4 barrel carb. versions and shared the same architecture. They were never used in cars and are not Lincoln engines.

Caterpillar 3208 engines offered in 1970 for the L series Ford were 170,200 and 225 H.P. and should be painted Ford blue.

Yes Ford did offer various diesels of their own, the last one being the 6.9 and 7.8 Brazilian built (New Holland) in line six.

Ford of England did supply some Dorsset Diesels in the '60's for the U.S. market, and possibly some other engines originally intended for off shore markets.

What would be the correct colors for the Super Duty gas engines say Mid to Late '60's?

Duplicolor old Ford blue, Duplicolor engine paints can be found at your local NAPA store. If you prefer, Testors Ford engine blue in a bottle. This color would be correct for most Ford engines from 1966 to about 1973, when the switch to a different shade of blue was made. A gold color on the V8 engines and a red on the six cylinders preceded the blue (except Thunderbird and some H.P. V8's were red), this color would also be correct for the Cat. 3208 when installed in a Ford.

Don't get me started on the greens,grays and black, that is a whole other can of worms!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Sourcrout, I assume like many blocks the exterior is pretty much the same between the 401, 477 and 534? Any ideas for something to use as one of the smaller HD series motors? The 361 seems like it was the most widely available between weight classes.

Also any idea on the color of Ford truck motor for the period 57-66?

Thanks

The S.D. series used the same block for all displacements, as for the F.E. series 352,360,361,390,391,406,427 and 428 are all descendent's of the Y block 272,292 and 312. All F.E. series engines look similar and share the same architecture.

Later engines in the Lima series or 385 series would be the 370,429 and 460, these engines are the big brothers of the Cleveland or 335 series. And heavy duty versions of their passenger car brethren.

Not sure about the 332 HD, I know it was available in the mid and late 50's and was most likely of the Y block family. As I mentioned before these engines should be a gold color until around 1966 except for Thunderbird and possibly other high performance versions. Starting in 1966 all engines were painted Ford blue,(around 1974 Ford changed to a lighter blue) I am reasonably sure that Ford started painting their engines Gray around 1979 with the introduction of the new Mustang.

All current engines are painted black, but only the steel and cast iron parts along with black plastic valve covers. The change to black started in 1992 with the introduction of the Modular series 4.6,5.4 and 6.8, with the passing of the 300 six and 351 at the end of 1996 and the demise of the 302 at the end of 2001 gray was no longer used.

The 6.9 and 7.8 along with the mechanical 7.3 were the last medium duty engines to be painted gray, after that all vendor engines were installed in their respective colors (Cat. yellow, Cummins red/black). I am reasonably sure all class 8 engines, Cummins,Cat. and Detroit etc. excluding the 3208 were installed as delivered from the vendor.

A good reference for Ford trucks is, Ford Trucks Since 1905 by James K. Wagner. Published by Crest Line, ISBN number 0-912612-10-X.

I have attempted to post a picture of a 1988 429 we built for a customers F-800, hope it shows up!!

post-1930-1190557238_thumb.jpg

Thank you, I have a bunch of these C series kits so I'm looking for ways to make them different besides the body build up. I have already planned to swap at least one 3208 from a Louisville but didn't know what other engine options I had. Also was planning on modifying to make them different ages from 57-90, I have the trim changes pretty well documented but don't know that much about the engines.

Thanks for the book recommendation too, its easy to find books on pickups not so easy to find them for larger trucks.

How about a 240/300 six or converting one to a Mack N model?

A Mack N is one I'm considering, I have a post in the 1-1 reference looking for detail photos of a Mack or Mercury.

Not really up on L block Y block etc, any example where I might find something for these other motors in kits? I was wondering if the 428 in the up coming Revell Mach 1 might be useful as a start.

Thanks

• 8 years later...

Lots of good  info, I will add. Because of the long  C series production run '57 thru '90, there were several  different engines installed. The '57 thru '63 era medium heavy's used the Y block ( 272  and 292) and large Y block (302 and 332). The '64 thru '78 era medium heavy's  used the FT block ( 330  361 391). The '79 thru '90 era medium heavy's used the Lima block ( 370 and 429). Ford had a habit of using "truckized" versions of car engines for there medium-heavy duty trucks. However the '58 thru '90 super duty engine family ( 401 477 534) were  "all truck" engines designed from scratch and were only used on extra heavy duty 850 thru 1100 series. So the AMT tilt cab had to be  a C 900. Diesel engines began to be installed in 1962 C series, officially in 1963. First came the Dagenham 330 363, then the Cummins C 160 C 180 both straight sixes, the Caterpillar V8's and Detroit DIesel 8.2 "fuel pincher"  However, Cat V8's were the most popular diesel installation during 1970's thru 1990.   I can add photos of  any of these engines, gas or diesel, is there is interest.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an old post so I have found a lot of info since I posted this, but would definitely welcome photos of the different engines, particularly if they show the accessories used in the Ford C. Never quite sure about things like air filters, radiators and such if swapping an engine from a lighter duty application (like a 6 cyl out of the new Moebius 1969 Ford pick up).

The Cat diesel is another that seems to require some modification when coming over from the L series kit.

Ok correct info here. The AMT c series engine is the 534sd which physicaly is the same as the 401 and 477.The 401,477 and 534 was available in many Ford trucks of all sizes and axle configurations. The engine in AMT's Louisville kits is the Cat 1160 a forerunner to the 3208 they look similar but are not the same engine. As far as smaller gas engines go no fe series engine was put in a Ford truck bigger than a half ton. However the ft series engine (truck version of the fe) were.The ft had lower compression forged steel crank and 4 ring pistons etc for truck use. Some ft's also were put in 1/2 pu's and all 3/4 and 1 ton's. Ft's came in 331 359(U haul only) 361 and 391. The Ford c over the years had dozens of engine options from the 240 straight six gas to the Cummins c160. By the way both AMT's c and Louisville have an allison auto for a transmission.

This is an odd one, a four banger Detroit installed in a C series. Back in the day, there were special order jobs from the factory or conversion packages offered by  truck dealers or repair shops.

IMG_3312.JPG

Your knowledge of the c is excellent. It seems like c's used for fire truck chassis had even stranger engine choices. I have heard of one with a raised cab and a 6v71 detroit.installed