Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Galaxie 500 reissue : I added Factory Reference Material

migace

Doh!! is right, I really need to stop asking dumb question , it makes me appear, well dumb :( , hey! while you are lowering price's at Danno's model mart, lower the price on that "other police car" ;):DB)

I will. I'll mark it down from $50 to $49.95 ... just for you. Or, you can get two for $100! :D

A couple of questions about this kit:

Did this kit have separate pieces for it's rear suspension, (separate axle, leaf springs, shocks, etc.), or is the entire rear suspension molded directly into the main chassis piece?

Does it use a steel-wire front axle that passes thru a hole in the engine block?

Thanks!

A couple of questions about this kit:

Did this kit have separate pieces for it's rear suspension, (separate axle, leaf springs, shocks, etc.), or is the entire rear suspension molded directly into the main chassis piece?

Does it use a steel-wire front axle that passes thru a hole in the engine block?

Thanks!

Separate rear suspension- but the axle is molded to the trailing arms and exhaust. It does have a steel wire axle in front, which passes through the block- but the thing is the kit comes with the wrong engine- it's a Boss 429. If you have a Model King '71 T-Bird, the engine from that kit will fit or you can glue the hood shut and use the T-Bird's engine block off plate and make it a 'coaster'.

Are the 429 in the '69 XL and the Police Interceptor different?

I remember that the Cobra Jet was wrong, but I've never seen exactly what differences are, aside from perhaps the air cleaner? I thought they were mostly internal?

Let's see...1970, so a 302/351W would also be appropriate as I remember?

Ford powerplants from this era are nothing short of mind-boggling!

Charlie Larkin

Here is some info on the different levels of 429 goodness available from Ford. Sean Stacey is casting the 429CJ from Revells 70 Torino kit so you could update the kit to a more modern engine mold.

429 CJ/SCJ Blocks

The Four Types of 429s

(Thanks to Dan Davis)

First was the base 429, known as the Thunder Jet (TJ). It came in T-birds and full size Fords in the late 60's and early 70's. Typically 360 horsepower. By far and away the most common -- they made 100,000+ of these. Can be ID'd be block casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE, D1VE among others and head casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE among others.

Then there was the 429 Cobra Jet (CJ). It was built only in 1970-71. It was only installed in mid-size (1970-71) and pony cars (1971 only). 370 HP (likely underrated), thick strong blocks and massive ports int he heads. ID'd by D0VE-A and D1VE-AA casting numbers on the block and D0OE-R on the heads. No other numbers are CJ. Not too common, maybe a total production of 15,000.

The 429 SCJ was a stronger version on the CJ. The difference was forged pistons, solid lifter cam and four bolt mains*. The rest of the info is the same. Even less common with a production of maybe 3,000.

The baddest of them all is the Boss 429. It was rated at 375HP (grossly underrated). It came in special Mustangs (and 2 Cougars) in 1969-70. It had four bolt mains, aluminum hemi-style heads and looked like no other engine. ID by casting number on the block of C9AE. The heads ID themselves. Very rare and very expensive as only about 1,200 were made.

(* Correct for 429 SCJ Torino. On 71 429 SCJ Mustang, both 2 and 4 bolt mains were possible - JB)

Nice guide, Brian, and thank you for that, but I'm now seeing I might not have asked the question properly.

1. Which engine is supplied in the Police Interceptor?

2. Can the kit engine be modified to be correct without having to resort to raiding another kit? If not, the promo slug from the T-Bird is sounding real good right now.

Charlie Larkin

I am glad this kit is being reissued. I don't have any of the earlier issues and wasn't going to pay the crazy prices for one. I'll have to buy several to hedge against the future rise in this kits price.

Edited by 2000-cvpi

The Police Interceptor has the Boss 429. Which was, of course, only ever offered in the Mustang. Depending on how extensive your parts stash is, you could find some 385-series top end parts and use them on the kit block, or go with one of the engines suggested above. Anything from a base 302 to the standard (non-Boss) 429 would be appropriate. The 240 I-6 was still the base engine in 1970, so you could get one of those from Kitchen Table Resin if you wanted to make yours a true base model stripper.

Actually, they're useing a 460 block to repro the Boss 429. Soooo, I'd guess you could put the standard 460 OHV heads on the 429 block, and you'd be good ta go. Use regular ol 427/8 or 9 Ford heads, on the block. It should pass for a stock block.

I still have one of these from the HH reissue. It's always near the bench but I can never decide what color to paint it. I do know I'll be sticking a 302 in there, though, and saving the 429 for something else.

I know they leave a lot to be desired in the detail department, but I love these old style tools. They look great on the shelf.

Actually, they're useing a 460 block to repro the Boss 429. Soooo, I'd guess you could put the standard 460 OHV heads on the 429 block, and you'd be good ta go. Use regular ol 427/8 or 9 Ford heads, on the block. It should pass for a stock block.

The blocks are the same- the 429 and 460 use the same block (385 series). DO NOT use 428 heads- those are FE items, and it'll just look odd. B)

wohoo.. hoping they will be at Hobby Lobby and Hobby Town USA, since I am too poor to go to any shows lately... and i could really use "more" of this... I LOOOOOVE 4 doors and Wagons!!

561200_459568524067626_1411242556_n.jpg

I think 2 are built, and 1 was built, but I stripped the paint for a rebuild (think that is the Hobby Heaven one.)

yes.. I know it's dusty.

GEDC1462-vi.jpg

NYPD2-vi.jpg

this is the one that has had the body stripped... guess that leaves me only 2 left to build.. glad they are coming out again!<LOL>

ARK1B-vi.jpg

Here is some police interceptor specific info. It seems the kit should have a 428 in it for 70, the 429/460 PI motor didn't start until 71.

• From somewhere in the 1960's and up to/including the 1970 model year, the FoMoCo PI engines were FE's, typically the 428PI (which is of the FE Family, not to be confused with the 429PI, which is of the 385 Series Family).
  • In 1971, the 429PI debuted. It was basically a 429SCJ engine with D0OE-R heads, 4-bolt D0VE-A block and forged flat top pistons, etc. The SCJ intake may have had the spreadbore carb pad, though (I'm not sure)
  • In 1972, the dedicated 429PI engine was released. This engine had the 4-bolt D0VE-A block, D2OE-AB Police Interceptor heads, flat top forged pistons, and an SCJ-style intake with a spreadbore carb pad.
  • 1973 brought the 460PI. (Maybe there were still some 429PI's?) It had TRW "D"-shaped dish pistons and (I think) the D2OE-AB PI heads. Not sure what it had for a block and intake.
  • 1974 was the 460PI. Here is where I don't know what's going on. Somewhere around this time or perhaps in 1975, they went to the D3VE-A2A passenger car head.

Here is some more:

There were 2 versions of the 460 for police use. People get these confused and thus the bad wrap on these motors.

There is the 460 Police motor (basically a reg 460)

and the 460 Police Interceptor motor. (performance goodies)

Both sound the same but are differant. main differance is that the Interceptor uses an in-tank electric pump and alot of head work. (casting #'s wont disclose anything)

Forget whatever the books say. Ford did a number on these motors.. seems like every year they changed something.

You honestly dont know what you have till you take it apart.

I have a 77 460 Police Interceptor. From what i read it is just a basic 460.

When I went to rebuild it the shop called me and said it has huge valves (2.19/1.76), High performance cam and huge ports on the heads. Compression was low at around 8.5-9 to 1.

Motor was built to pass air freely.

Once rebuilt and installed in my truck, I was pulling off 14 sec 1/4 mile times, on street tires, with the 460 Police Interceptor.

my head #'s were D3VE a2a. and not even close to stock heads with the same casting number.

Thanx to a guy I met on Ebay with a 1976 Interceptor, Ive since learned alot.

Take it apart and youll find out if its a Interceptor or just a reg police.

these motors with the 3-1 gears topped out at 130+ mph.

More:

The 429 PI's would generally be a 1972 engine with an intake manifold identical to a 429 CJ except it had an odd spreadbore pattern for a ford carb that was not a quadrajet. The heads are D2OE-AB and have ports halway between CJ and standard size, with 2.19" and 1.725" valves. They also have guide plates, hardened pushrods, and CJ style rockers. The pistons are forged TRW flat tops with a large eyebrow. Basically same pistons and rods as a SCJ. The exhaust manifolds are similar to CJ/SCJ but with D2 part numbers. They have aluminum finned valve covers similar to a CJ/SCJ. The blocks could be 2 bolt or 4 bolt main with a part number of D0VE or D1VE. Just judging from what I've seen your chances are about 50/50 of getting a 4 bolt. You don't know until you pull the pan. The oil pan is also similar to CJ/SCJ being slightly deeper and baffled. They also came with an oil cooler adapter similar to that of a 71 429 SCJ mustang.

The good 460 PI's were in 73-74. They didn't have as much good stuff but still pretty nice. Pretty much all of the same information applies that I mentioned on the 429 but they had steel valve covers and a small port intake instead of the CJ sized intake. Also the pistons were TRW forged on the 460 but they had a very slight dish similar to the JE dished pistons.

Edited by Fat Brian

:huh::blink: Fords is confusin' critters....

So, let's see if I'm following this. A police car would most likely be running a 428 still? I remember seeing 429s listed in the '71 brochure, I find it interesting they would have used the 428 still for police use, but whatever.

I think I'm just going to drop a Windsor block in this and call it done. Any suggestions for a nice, close-to-correct 302/351?

Charlie Larkin