Model Cars Magazine Forum

HEMI Dart Question.....

Len Geisler

In doing my research for an "as delivered" HEMI Dart, I have decided that this one will be built as an automatic.

Can somebody chime in on the tranmission and rear end combo, I seem to recall that with the Torque Flite, the car had an 8 and 3/4 rear installed and a DANA with the manual trans.

Can anyone confirm this to be accurate? I am trying to make this build as "accurate" as possible.

Thanks in advance....

I'm no Mopar expert, either Len, but I THINK your right. They used the Dana's in the 4 spd cars(My Charger ran a dana) and the 8 in in the automatics. The Dana was used caz it was just a stronger rear, to take the abuse of the 4 spd.. Auto's an 8in in the Hemi caz it wasn't as much of a shock to the drivetrain.;) ;)

THANKS Dave!!! I DIDN'T know that the frame in the new Hemi Dart kit was set up like that! I probably wouldn't have even noticed it until it was too late!(I quit usein instruction sheets years ago!) and probably built it just like the stock frame, wonderin WHY the springs were THERE instead of where I think they should go! Thanks, it's little tips like that, that help!:);)

The thing about the Super Stock springs in the kit. They are not so much of artistic licensing by Revell. I fact that was a normal Mod by the drag racers and a suggestion in the NHRA rule book for Super Stock race cars to make room for bigger slicks. I think that they were doing that by 70 or even possibly 69.

Here is the springs in the stock location of the restored Arlen Vanke SS/B (Stick) Cuda as it was in 68.

2_1260380418IMG56.jpg

Here is the in boarded springs under a ceria early 70s SS/A Dart.

1969_Dart_Rear01.jpg

I believe that this became common practice by 69 when NHRA reclassified the cars to SS/A You will find this set up in just about every real restored to "Original" LO23s. Just makes for a better looking car with big tires. I have been talking to the owner of this car.

Cruzin202008.jpg

This is the car that was Charlie Castaldo's SS/B race car. Charlie is the guy that took all of those famous photos of the ready for delivery LO23s and BO29s sitting out back at Hurst in 68. This car has the inboard spring set up with mini tubs.

On an interesting note. The owner of that car has ordered the model kit and is going to compare the kit to his real car. I will let you all know what his findings are.

So it will not be too "Off" if you use the in board springs.

Hope this helps

Len, Personally, if I was to build an "As Delivered" Automatic LO23. I would not only use just the 8-3/4 rear end with the springs that are attached. I would also just use the 383 engine block and trans. Then just put the Hemi heads and other stuff on the 383. Yes , before the MOPAR purists loose it on me. It works out fine in the Model Car World. When the model is built. No one would be the wiser. I have done it before and looks good. To me it is just easier then cutting off trans missions from blocks. Just IMHO and just a suggestion

68HemiDart0002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...