Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which brand of high build primer in a rattle can do you prefer?

Just thought I'd get some opinions. I've got a can of duplicolor high build primer, and it really does *build* like I expect it to. I am not really liking the results I'm getting from it.

whats everyone else using for a high build primer?

I just dont find it cost effective enough to break out the paint guns and use my automotive primer.

I just use Sandable automotive primer. Never tried High Build but just doesn't sound right for model use. High Build for a 1:1 application would be pretty thick at 1/25. Sandable works good for me getting mu bodywork smooth and doesn't hide all the detail as long as it's not put on thick. The main reason for me using it, though, is as a barrier for my use of lacquer paint.

Sometimes I use Duplicolor High build primer on heavily modified body work. I usually mist coat in 3 or 4 consecutive coats. It takes a while waiting in between coats, but you can't tell high build was used. Really important that you shake the can for at least 3 minutes and it should be warmed up. Shake in between coats and clear the nozzle every so often.

I use high-build rattlecan primers from SEM (a "professional" product from the body shop...huge can, dries through pretty quick, and REALLY builds), Duplicolor (takes longer to flash and dry through, with medium build) and Plasticoat (seems to me to dry through faster than the Duplicolor, builds well, sometimes hard to find).

You really only want to use any of these on heavy custom bodywork, where you want to create a block-sandable surface and fill coarse sanding scratches.

They will obliterate fine details like chrome and scripts quickly.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Most of my priming these days is with the cheap Walmart stuff, which dries thin, smooth, and hard. But when I need something a bit thicker, I like Plastikote. I think the stuff is called T-235, or something like that. It wet-sands magnificently, too.

I forgot about SEM, Bill... I used to buy their cans when I did small stuff on my cars... haven't done anything in a while. I need it mostly for my mercury, and for the heavy bodywork I did on my rockford files firebird. But I'll be masking off the fine details on that car. The merc.... well not so much. Going for the led sled look.

J.T.

This subject comes up fairly often. Their was a great post on this thread by Clovis dated June 20th, 2014 (page 16 today) with many responses on this subject. I replied to this post with some thoughts and products that I use, I feel is some great information check it out! My post is Number 10 on this thread.

Cheers jw "RASS"

Edited by jwrass