Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Community Build

Chuck Most

Well, work on the Matador has begun! It will be a hardcore, pro-tourer! In true mid '70's up AMC tradition, it will employ parts from some of the other 'Big Four' manufacturers. First off... a '98 Corvette chassis....

AMC001-vi.jpg

AMC002-vi.jpg

I had to stretch the Vette chassis 9 scale inches to match the Matador's wheelbase, and it will need to be widened and have some length added to the rear overhang, but the wheelbase is now right-on, and since the Vette already has an up-to-date 4-wheel independent front suspension and disc brakes, won't need to try and adapt those to a stock chassis. From here we'll fill in the blanks. I will be retaining the rear transaxle, but the engine will be from Chrysler- in this case, a Viper V-10, with the chassis reworked a bit to fit the Dodge mill. See? Using parts from the other American manufacturers, just as AMC itself did for many years. B)

And THATS my plan B for this one!

Thanks for the clarification, Chuck, well, here we go . . . Doctor Cranky has been quiet (but busy) lately.

Why? Because he decided not to build just one 41 Willys--he opted to build 2 instead . . . Yes, he loves this kit that much!

I call these "Rat Runner" and you'll see why in a little bit . . . I wanted to build two street rods that would combine the new engineering of frame, wheels, and engine and contrast it to a couple of well . . . you know me . . . RATS!

So far I have built and detailed the rolling chassis . . .

003-vi.jpg

007-vi.jpg

I have to tone down the brightness of those wide whites . . . with a little road-weary bug juice!

008-vi.jpg

What I love about this kit (and you don't get this very often, even with Revell kits) is that is fits together nicely. You don't have to glue the main three components of this kit: chassis, interior, and body, and it will go together and fit and look just perfect.

It really is on my top 3 best kits ever list. Up there too is the AMT 1950 Chevy Pick Up.

Hey Chuck - I'm already there! Check out my reply from the 10/12: I'm in with a '76 Pacer that I originally built in late 1975 for my Mom. I'm doing a complete restoration on it, for her AND this CBP. Originally built as a metallic blue Pacer X, it will now be a bare-bones bright red base model with dog dish hubcaps, 3-on-the-tree and a tan bench seat interior, replicating the car she actually owned for a decade before giving it to me. It'll be about ad different from Jeff's model as possible and still be a Pacer! (I'm looking forward to seeing a Pro Street Pacer! :D )

Hey Chuck - I'm already there! Check out my reply from the 10/12: I'm in with a '76 Pacer that I originally built in late 1975 for my Mom. I'm doing a complete restoration on it, for her AND this CBP. Originally built as a metallic blue Pacer X, it will now be a bare-bones bright red base model with dog dish hubcaps, 3-on-the-tree and a tan bench seat interior, replicating the car she actually owned for a decade before giving it to me. It'll be about ad different from Jeff's model as possible and still be a Pacer! (I'm looking forward to seeing a Pro Street Pacer! :D )

Oh, I know, just didn't see a pic! :lol:

I'm actually thinking of picking up one of those terrible Lindberg Gremlin kits just for fun.

RMR kit or Spec Cast model? Either way, soooooooo stoked!

Did a test-fit of the 'Vette chassis, Viper engine (with modified Vette bellhousing), and Matador body- It's either going to be fully sculpted, street-rod style underhood or have a couple fully plumbed turbos- looks like there is going to be a LOT of dead space under the hood, even with a giant V-10 stuffed in there.