Model Cars Magazine Forum

A tale of 3 '69 Camaro's

Nick Winter

A friend and I got talking on another forum (he runs two shows in the Hamilton Ontario area) before we knew it we had a build going with a few other guys we know who attend the shows, Tony offered a group display at his Heritagecon7 show at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, so before I knew it I had 3 camaro's. I'll post some progress here as well as the Facebook page we've got.

I have an original '69 Coupe from AMT, the newer RC2 reissue of the 80's MPC Camaro, and a Revell '69 missing some stuff when I got it.

GEDC4054.jpg

002-vi.jpg

GEDC3653.jpg

GEDC4055.jpg

GEDC4056.jpg

as you may be able to tell, I'm mixing the original body with the revell running gear and interior and vice versa.

More to come

So the MPC.....................let me start by saying it's not an MPC, it's the same kit AMT (while under RC2) has reissued about 3 or 4 times and this was the last reissue before the Round2 Take over, and it is showing the constant reissues, Oy vey. But I'll do what I can, it's mostly going to be out of the box with some minor changes and detailing.

Sink Marks....................... after a run through the Bondo.

GEDC4078.jpg

GEDC4075.jpg

Modified headrests due to Extreme sink marks. better, still need work.

GEDC4069.jpg

GEDC4079.jpg

After Primer

GEDC4080.jpg

Wheels & tires for this one.

GEDC4096.jpg

You'll not I've chose the following options for this one:

P06 Wheel Trim Rings

VE3 Bumper; special front, matches body color

ZL2 Hood; special ducted

And I have Chose a Dover White with Red interior and Top.

Not exactly sure what you're saying there Nick but that convertible is definitly the old MPC kit.

It may have been reissued a few times with AMT labeling [i haven't kept track of that one] but it's definitly vintage MPC.

Steve, AMT did the Originals, thats what I'm saying so this later MPC effort holds no water in my shop, and when you really examin the original AMT and this one side by side, you see the vast differences.

The one Abell82 is refering to is not the same as the Revell kit, before they merged together Monogram made a 69 Camaro...

Good lookin Camaro's you got going...

As for it's proportions...

It's still better then an MPC kit any day.

100_0423.jpg

MVC-024F.jpg

Yeah, the kit has issues, and CAN NOT be built stock. It's also 1/24th and not 1/25th scale.

Any how I'll be watching with interest to see what happens to that AMT(original) kit!

Edited by Abell82

As for it's proportions...

It's still better then an MPC kit any day.

Yeah, the kit has issues, and CAN NOT be built stock. It's also 1/24th and not 1/25th scale.

Any how I'll be watching with interest to see what happens to that AMT(original) kit!

The AMT Annual is perfectly proportioned from what I can tell I printed a few photo's of 1:1's and matched them up side by side, I still have some bodywork to do on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm back working on the AMT/Revell Kitbash, and getting it ready for paint, found a can of Butternut Yellow I had and will be using it, got the extra hood from the MPC to fit this kit because the kit hood was a write off, got the body almost ready for paint, still a little to do.

GEDC4436.jpg

GEDC4437.jpg

GEDC4438.jpg

GEDC4439.jpg

GEDC4440.jpg

GEDC4441.jpg

GEDC4442.jpg

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I have said before Nick but it is worth repeating- the improvement in your skills is noticeable as your paint jobs and detailing have come a LONG way since some of those first builds you posted! Nice job on the Camaros, I have several that I need to finish and today would be a good day to do that!