Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nothing to get excited about, picture-wise, but the 2 front axles are scratch built and represents 2 days work. I haven't figured out a way to get holes in the tie rods so they will mesh with the gears. What would be great are a couple of those zip pulls that spin flywheels on friction racers. I might use the old blower belt trick by attaching a series of plastic rods to a strip of plastic. I'd have to be "scary"accurate to try that.

2007-01-27009.jpg

Messy desk. That's how I work. I know where everything is, so don't touch anything !!!

2007-01-27011.jpg

Steering knuckles w/ axles. Each one has 7 parts.

2007-01-28002.jpg

One up close.

2007-01-28001.jpg

Tandem Twosome.

Man that's a cool project.What have you come up with engine wise? How about butting two slant 6s together for an exotic slant 12 with 6 four barrel carbs, with 2 corvette trans axle out back hooked together tandem style?

It was just an idea, enjoying your build,bigtim.

I've also got an idea for your working steering.

1. Where your tie rod connections are add another one at 90 degrees to them on the inboard side,on all four spindles.

2. Run normal steering tie rod as usual, add two more tie rods connecting the inboard connecting arms on each side. The main tie rod will run left to right, the secondary tie rods will run from front to back.

It might take a little fiddling with the fits and lengths but it should work. I have seen this set-up on some 1-1 vehicles. I hope this helps and sorry for butting in on your build.

Tim, thanx for your input. You may have sent me in a direction I hadn't considered. I'm one of those people who have a hard time imagining what I'm reading and putting it into the 3D world. However, you gave me an idea for cross connected tie rods that might work all four wheels. I'll play with it later today. If it works, I'll give you credit. If it doesn't, well, I'll have to add your name to the 1-800 call center with Luis. :D

I do have to shoot you down on the rear end and motor set up ideas. As mentioned previously, the chassis is curbside. No details, no motor (or motors) and a lot of black paint. ;):P

Never feel like you're butting in Big Tim. As long as it's constructive and positive I welcome all ideas. That's what we're here for really. This is an Imagination Factory. Now clock-in and get to work !! OH !! Everybody gets an extra Graham Cracker with their lunch.

Edited by Batzilla

This steering is kickin' me a new one, but I think I've got it whipped. It's almost ready to put together. I do have to decide on how I'm going to work it from inside the cab. My choices are:

1-Center driver and use steering wheel as per normal, but it's going to have to stand straight up. If I lean it back, I'd need a flexible joint.

2-Driver on left using LARGE, bent stick shifter to steer.

Both are working options, it's a matter of aesthetics.

The wheels pose an issue. They are aftermarket lowrider rims, but I'm calling them Chicken Rims. Why? They have no lips. The tires can slide right off, so I'm putting in bands of strip styrene to stop that from happening. That would be embarrassing at a show:

Judge: "Hey Joe, I thought you said it has 8 tires?" Me: "AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

As you can see, I went with the "blower belt" type strip for the gearing. What a walk in the park to make that. I just cut up a bunch of thin rod, laid it down on some masking tape, sticky side up, rolled the gear over it to line everything up, then super glued a strip over that. When you pull it up, there it is. Minor clean up trim and good to go.

Lastly, broke the interior while doing my "Make it fit you stupid Gorilla" routine. Fixed it and added additional bracing on the interior fender wells. At this rate, the inside's gonna need as much putty as the outside.

If anybody sees Luis, don't tell him I didn't work on his trailer this time around.

2007-01-29001.jpg2007-01-29003.jpg2007-01-29004.jpg2007-01-29002.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

Some good work going on here, but I'm still confused. What's with the BBQ?

There were 3 parts left over when I chopped up the "donor" Deora. Luis "LAone" suggested making a BBQ trailer out of them. So, the nose section will have a grill and the back is for goodie storage. If you go back to the start of the topic you can follow the whole crazy sequence.

nice work and ideas, one question where did you find the plastic gears, pinions?

Jose, that's put out by Stevens International. It's a bag of about 14 different sized gears with varying lengths of metal shaft. Speaking of which, I paid $22.00 at my LHS. They've got another one, but you'd have better luck on the web.

http://www2.stevenshobby.com:5641/

IT WORXXXXXXX !!!!!!!!!!! I ended up with a scissor set up and IT WOOOORRRRXXXX !!!!!

Got the tires lettered. Dullcote tomorrow, finish the rear axle and the chassis will be done.

On to the interior, putty the body (anybody got an extra large spatula?), then start on the hauler portion w/ ramps, etc.

2007-01-30002.jpg2007-01-30001.jpg2007-01-30003.jpg2007-01-30004.jpg2007-01-30007.jpg

Congrats on making the steering work, it looks awesome (&complicated!), can't wait to see her when she's done!

Unfortunately, too complicated. It kept binding up and for the life of me, I can't figure out where. So instead of going back to the drawing board, we're going to call it "poseable steering" and call the chassis, done.

Sorry to compromise, but I've got to move on. I'm happy with it and it was still a challenge. I thought I might have to settle for all four wheels turned in one direction and whip out the super glue.

Besides, summer is coming to an end and I wanna make sure we get to use the grill at Luis' crib.

2007-01-31011.jpg2007-01-31006.jpg2007-01-31004.jpg2007-01-31001.jpg2007-01-31008.jpg

You sure you wern't an engineer for Chrysler in another life time ? Ed Shaver

Ed, they said rack and pinion, I thought they said "Crack and Spin 'em." After that, I went to Ford to design gas tanks for Pintos.

I just love extreme subjects like this. As cool as the transport idea is, I could sure see a party pool back there too.

Mike, did we not learn from Luis' mistake? The very thought of putting a pool under the ramp is outrageous at the least. You would have to hinge the ramp at the "parts housing" and the ramps would need support braces at the ends so all the weight isn't on the hinges. And even if you did manage to get a pool in there, where are you gonna find a Rubber Ducky anymore? HUH, where?

P.S. I build models 'cuz I can't draw for nuthin'.

2007-02-01001.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

I found the rubber ducky!, he's in your pool (probably waiting for the BBQ! LOL!)

Wait 'til he finds out he IS the BBQ. Might be a little on the chewy side.......

Workin' on the interior now. Cut a template for the carpet and modified the seats. I decided the seating required a little upgrade so, instead of buying aftermarket, (sorry you guys), I cut out some new side wings which fit just fine after a little seat grinding. Also, they'll swivel for a reason to be revealed at the end of the last paragraph.

There will be harnesses thanx to Detail Master. I don't know what I'll use for carpet yet, but it will be a dark brown to contrast the 2 tone Rustoleum Textured paints. They aren't labeled by color, just the sample on the cap, but I'll call them Sandstone and Light Earth.

Now, before anybody gets any more whacky ideas, yes, there will be a Widescreen TV mounted on the engine cover. I also plan on doing a headliner treatment. Might even hang the TV from the headliner, who knows? That's the reason for the swiveling action.

See ya' next time.

2007-02-01002.jpg2007-02-01003.jpg2007-02-01005.jpg2007-02-01004.jpg2007-02-01001-1.jpg

Edited by Batzilla