Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Front Engine Dragster Project - Finished

Mooneyzs

Hello All,

I haven't been able to work much on anything lately due to working 220 hours the past 3 weeks with work. I was finally able to take a little time tonight to work a little on my models and decided to get the decals on this project. Now I am ready for final clearing of the body and if I am lucky I will be clearing it next weekend.....keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for looking.

PlasticModels3741-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris..........Beautiful.......absolutely stunning.

Thank you John! I didn't want to overdue it with decals but I needed just enough to bring it all together. I can't wait to get the last coats of clear and the final color sanding and rubbing it out. She will sure shine after that.

:blink:<_<

Chris, to say that looks stunning, would be a most under rated thing of all to say......................IT'S ABSOLUTELY JAW-DROPPING STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS !!....

Now, get in and finish it....:) .......Please. ;) Great work mate, and yes....very clean.

Greg...Thanks for the kind words. It's much appreciated. I just hope that I don't have to work next weekend so I can get this bad boy cleared. You don't know how bad I want to get this build completed as well as work on my funny car. I have had that itch so bad lately of wanting to work on my models. It sucks I haven't been able to in the past month cause of work :lol: anyway hoping things will slow down and go back to normal.

Mr. Core....Thanks, I had some dust in the clear where a few of the decals were going so I decided to try something different. I color sanded the whole model with 2000 grit paper to give a nice and smooth finish before apply the decals. Then I will go back and shoot another 3 or 4 coats of clear on it and it will get color sanded again and then polished out. This is the first time that I have laid decals down on clear that has been color sanded.

I agree x100. What a beautiful build, finishing this one off is right around the corner and what a sight it will be (already is). Awesome man...just awesome!! Those rims set it off also, nothing but sweet. Great job Chris, my "Hats-off" to ya!!

Hey guys thanks again for all the comments. I am excited to make some more progress on this build. I am hoping to possibly get the photo-etch front rims built this week but this thing called work keeps getting in the way :lol: Then it seems like it is a bunch of minor things to complete but needless to say, it is geting very close to being done. I also have and Idea for the parachute that I hope turns out good, which I may have to tinker with this week when I get a chance as well.

Dan.... not sure if I will be able to make it out since I have been working crazy hours. Maybe I could swing by and say hi for a few if I have time.

Hey guys thanks again for all the comments. I am excited to make some more progress on this build. I am hoping to possibly get the photo-etch front rims built this week but this thing called work keeps getting in the way :lol: Then it seems like it is a bunch of minor things to complete but needless to say, it is geting very close to being done. I also have and Idea for the parachute that I hope turns out good, which I may have to tinker with this week when I get a chance as well.

Dan.... not sure if I will be able to make it out since I have been working crazy hours. Maybe I could swing by and say hi for a few if I have time.

Cherish the work while you've got it, Chris. Not everyone does.

If you get a chance to swing by ... it's at Dale's house ... we kick it off at 4pm Saturday afternoon and go until 6pm Sunday!

24 hours right? No, our math is screwy. It's 24 hours of building frenzy plus two 1-hour time-outs for chow = 26 hours elapsed.

We'll be watching the Indy, the Coca-Cola 600, the Grand Prix, Desert Car Kings, Car Warriors, and a bunch of racing and car-ogling videos plus some GSL seminars on DVD.

It's a pure hoot.

:P

After spending a couple hours this morning laying the final clear down on this build. I decided to go with 4 coats of clear since I will be color sanding and rubbing it out. Here are a couple of pics. Paint is still drying and probably be able to touch later tonight since I mixd it a little hot. Thanks for looking....

PlasticModels3781-vi.jpg

PlasticModels3791-vi.jpg

PlasticModels3901-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 2 months later...

Ok so in the mist of working on the Funny Car build I have taken a quick break to do a little work on this Front Engine Dragster. Yesterday I was able to start color sanding and polishing the body. I only got 3 pieces done so far and hoping to get the rest done possibly tonight so I can jump back to the funny car. Here are a few pics of this color sanded. Once I have all of the pieces color sanded I will then polish them out. Thanks for looking.....

Here is the body again, the front 3 pieces have been color sanded. I started out with 3200 Grit paper and worked my way up to 12000 grit.

PlasticModels3931-vi.jpg

Here is my LMG polishing kit that I am using on it. I will end up either using Mothers or Meguiars polish to finish them off.

PlasticModels3941-vi.jpg

Here is kind of an up close view, this is with out any polish on the part that I am holding. The piece off to the right was only sanded with 3200 and 3600. will hit it with the rest of the grit of papers.

PlasticModels3951-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

See this is why I cant get any work done on my own car , im too busy drooling all over this build 019-Drooling-SuperEmoticonscom.gif . Chris your skillz blow my socks off as a matter of fact im leaving cause my feet are starting to get cold.LOL! :lol: Keep up the outstanding work Bro!

Edited by Aftashox

Romell... No need to leave man. I am trying to catch up to you my friend :lol: .... gotta get a few of these builds completed before NNL's. I know I have some time but wanna have these completed for it.

Thanks Tyrone!!....

Little bit later I know I will be color sanding some more on these parts and hopefully have them ready for some polish in the next few days.

• 2 months later...

Wow.......pour down some bleach and hit the pedal !!!

"Very nice", "bitchin'", "wicked pissah", "friggin awesome", "kooool daddio"...........whatever area of the country you're in, those all apply here !!!!

Excellent build, of a great kit.

One thing I have added to my own 1/16th, and 1/25th FED's.........RB Motion rod ends, with jam nuts, and stainless tubing for radius rods. Very nice workmanship on his rod ends. They come in various sizes for different scales and applications. I cut my own stainless .050 tubing to the right length, and the .042 rod ends slide right in. Makes for an extremely convincing radius rod and drag link set up. His kits come with short lengths of tubing, for use with rear 4 link set ups on door slammers. They arent cheap, but they are definitely worth it. www.rbmotion.com

With the excellent work you've got here, Im not sure I would mess around any further, though !!!

Just a stunning, stunning build. Very inspiring.