Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heli-Hemi 68 Super Stock Dart...Complete!

Here is one that I started a short time ago. It has been spread all over the workbench as I have been finishing other projects that were also taking up space but I now have the time to devote solely to this one.

I'm using the new Revell 68 Hemi Dart kit with a few changes to update the car to modern day Super Stock standards.

This is the car I'm doing, using the decals available from Slixx.

7142lP-vi.jpg

I started by mocking up the body on the chassis and splicing together a resin tubbed rear chassis section for the larger rear slicks. The front wheels are Pro Track aluminum slot car wheels. I cut away the resin tubs and made new arches with styrene. I also cut the trunk open as it will be hinged to access the trunk detail that will be added.

DSC07197-vi.jpg

DSC07195-vi.jpg

DSC07200-vi.jpg

Next came the decal work. Slixx always makes superb decals and these were no exception. They take a little bit of time to add but the final outcome is well worth it.

DSC07304-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Next came some work on the interior. The roll cage needed to be updated so I started with the basic hoop available in the kit and then added styrene tubing for new sections, including running the cage into the trunk area.

DSC07643-vi.jpg

DSC07645-vi.jpg

The chassis is also being updated to modern standards as the rear leaf springs won't work. These cars all primarily use four link rear suspensions. I added some additional chassis bracing and the start of the four link brackets. This is where I am currently at but with everything else out of the way I can now get some major progress done on this one.

DSC07646-vi.jpg

DSC07647-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Wayne, This another outstanding build !!! Please Keep us posted. I really like the chassis work. What wheels and tires are you using? Thanks for posting. Steve Prideaux

Thanks Steve. The front tires and wheels are unmarked Goodyear Frontrunners from one of the later Top Sportsman kits that came with no sidewall markings and the wheels are machined alumninum pieces from Pro Track, makers of slot car wheels. The rear tires and wheels came from an EBAY purchase and I believe came from a Racing Champions pro stock kit. The tires come with the Goodyear Tampo printed.

Wayne, Derrick ...

Beautiful builds, both!

Any tips for getting those decals down on the Dart?

Thanks for your help.

:blink:

Patience and lots of setting solution. I did each side panel on seperate days so they had plenty of time to set up. As well, I did the hood first and then a day or two later followed up with the hood scoop decal. I wanted it done sooner but knew if I raced to get it done something was going to go wrong.

So here is some progress. I needed a set of modern looking valve coveres for the Hemi so I took a set of Hemi valve covers from a diecast funny car (a little large) and cut them down to size to fit perfectly on the kit based Hemi engine. And added some paint.

DSC07686-vi.jpg

DSC07692-vi.jpg

And then I went about more work on the rear suspension. The four links are done and attached. I still have minor details left to add such as bolt head details along with the springs and wheelie bars but the basic construction for the rear end is done.

DSC07695-vi.jpg

DSC07696-vi.jpg

DSC07697-vi.jpg

DSC07698-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Wayne, I hate to be a nit picker but........the valve covers that you have prepped and painted are incorrect for your build. Those look to be from modern Pro Stock Hemi. The spark plug tubes should be evenly spaced and not siamesed in the center as yours are. The modern Pro Stock Hemi and the 426 based Super Stock Hemi are two totally different animals with no interchangeable parts.

WF

Wayne, I hate to be a nit picker but........the valve covers that you have prepped and painted are incorrect for your build. Those look to be from modern Pro Stock Hemi. The spark plug tubes should be evenly spaced and not siamesed in the center as yours are. The modern Pro Stock Hemi and the 426 based Super Stock Hemi are two totally different animals with no interchangeable parts.

WF

Thanks Walter. I was unaware of the difference. It won't be too difficult to fix and move on.