Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Chevrolet Nova F/Stock *Finished*

W-409

This is great kit...

Sorry, but I didn't actually understand, what you said... "how come you didn't connect the sub frame to the front frame" -that part. It's just because my english, we don't speak it as native language here in Finland. :o

This is great kit...

Sorry, but I didn't actually understand, what you said... "how come you didn't connect the sub frame to the front frame" -that part. It's just because my english, we don't speak it as native language here in Finland. :o

I can't make sense of it either. Obviously the sub frame is where the front suspension attaches to, but wouldn't that be the front frame too?

I think the question is "why aren't sub-frame connectors being shown?" . To explain what that means is the Nova is built as a unibody frame vehicle or simply that it does not have a full frame chassis like a full size car (Impala) from the same era. A common thing to do when building a Nova (or Camaro) from these years was to add sub-frame connectors to strengthen the chassis for drag racing. By using the sub-frame connectors, a racer would essentially have a stronger frame that could withstand the abuse of hard launches during a race without having to build a full tube frame like a modern pro stock race car.

I built that driveshaft loop today. It's made from aluminium, and actually I'm not 100% sure if it is in right place, or not, but I've seen them on that place too... I've installed also the firewall, but I'll post more pictures when I can get the interior finished, it doesn't need much parts anymore.

Oh, pictures are too sharp-it looks much better in person.

P1220238.jpg

P1220240.jpg

Edited by W-409

Thanks guys!

Dale: What car you're going to build? F/Stock is a category inside Stock Eliminator, and this Nova could be A/Stock or something like that too, if it is with bigger engine. So if you build Stock Eliminator car, it can be other that F/Stock too... ;)

Little update coming bit later today.

Niko, the loop should be at the front, i think the NHRA rule is something like no more than 6" behind the u-joint or front yoke. you could just add another one at the front and have both. you want the one by the front so that if the u-joint breaks the loop contains the driveshaft and keeps it from falling down and pole vaulting the car.

All the loops I've seen are at the back.

And Mythbusters proved that you can't pole vault a car if that happens ;):P

Edited by SuperStockAndy

I was just saying that on all the cars I've seen the loop was on the back. I wasn't trying to be rude there either. But, I'll look up the rules.

And I was just joking about the last part, you know.

What cars are you looking under? :rolleyes: Certainly not cars that have to pass a NHRA technical inspection.

As far as the pole vaulting thing goes, back in 1964 at L.I.'s Westhampton dragstrip a Max Wedge car called The Mad Russian broke the front u-joint at speed. The car literally "pole vaulted" into the woods that lined the track. The car was a total wreck and everything was retrieved except the torque converter.

WF

Wow, thanks guys for the information. I'll build another driveshaft loop, I guess there can be two of them?

Dale, that'll be very interesting project! B)

Little update too. Interior is finished, tachometer is from Revell Jukebox Ford, and that needed just a little styrene before painting. Painted it to match Autometer's Pro Comp cauges. Wires are from Detail Master, they are Detail wire, painted with different colors, just like in 1:1. Carburetor got some detailing too.

P1220242.jpg

P1220243.jpg

P1220256.jpg

P1220257.jpg

P1220258.jpg

P1220253.jpg

P1220252.jpg