Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dale Earnhardt's Daytona winner

ismaelg

Hello,

This will be interesting. I've always admired the work of David Thibodeau, Erick Gerena and other NASCAR builders. But I've never done one, not even back in the day I followed it. I was (am) a big Dale fan. When tragedy struck Feb 18 2001 I stopped following NASCAR with a screeching halt.

Local forum (Scalebuilder.com) member Danny (3men2s) came with the idea of a friendly NASCAR buildoff. I don't know how he convinced me but now I'm in this mess and it is all his fault :P You can see his Bill Elliot Thunderbird post in this forum section as well.

I'm NOT going to even attemp get to those guys level. I don't have the subject knowledge, expertise nor the desire to do so. The '33 left me not burned, but a bit overheated.

DSCF7944b-vi.jpg

DSCF7957-vi.jpg

Gentlemen! Start your engines! :)

DSCF8826-vi.jpg

The engine in the kit is not correct for this car. But at this point, I'm not going to bother.

Not much to see but it's a start....

Thanks,

I'm having a hard time finding good reference for this car. I thought it was going to be easier, given that this is one of Dale Earnhardt's most popular rides.

Anyway, in the meantime, Rusty Trusty attacked again and opened the trunk and the roof flaps...

DSCF7963-vi.jpg

DSCF8781-vi.jpg

Thanks,

That looks pretty good Izzy, talk about not taking it to their level, I have a few nascar kits and I would never think of opening the roof and trunk.

I thought about having David building me a Marines car but I dont have the money to pay him to do it to his level of building.

Good job on the car.

how is the motor not correct for the kit?

If I'm not mistaken, (NASCAR experts please jump in) the engine in the kit represents the previous generation engine. By this time RCR was already using the SB2 engine. I believe the valve covers and the intake manifold are slightly different.

BUT: Don't take my word for it. I'm not an expert in this.

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
:lol: me quede con las ganas....

I'm really really sorry. But the lack of good reference was a major turn down for me.

I even considered selling it with the aftermarket decals and all, but I'll hang to it for a while. Who knows....

Thanks,