Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2's 66 Mustang reissue review

oldscool

The explanation I got years ago was the extras were for the promo version AMT did for Ford. The Tail lights at that time had small pins that could be heat sealed inside the body and trap the red lens. They were a bit fragile and easy to break and loose. The headlight was heat sealed too and seems they were dropped or lost easily....that's the story I was told anyway!

Wish they had returned it to 1966 spec 100%....but this is OK.

That explains why one of the headlights has a long pin on the back and the other two don't.

The 66 issue had all three with the pin off the back...it made it easy to install the headlights as a kid!

I never built the original issue, but I built whatever the current issue was in the mid 80s. Can't recall the box art on that one.

wondering why they put an extra taillight and headlight in the sprue....

The extra headlight and taillight are remnants from when the coupe body was used for the promotional model. (The original annual kit was a convertible, and included the hardtop as a separate part with "vinyl roof" detail.) AMT would include extras of some small parts on the plated trees so the parts bins for the workers assembling the promos would fill up faster. They wouldn't have problems running short on headlights or taillights if some were dropped or broken. Many of the kits from the early Seventies (Pinto, Mustang, Monte Carlo) had five stock wheels on the plated tree for the same reason.

The extra headlight and taillight are remnants from when the coupe body was used for the promotional model. (The original annual kit was a convertible, and included the hardtop as a separate part with "vinyl roof" detail.)

My Dad has a built, (what I assume is) original AMT '66 Mustang molded in black plastic with the separate "hardtop" you mention, Mark, so I will take some pics of it next weekend.

I never built the original issue, but I built whatever the current issue was in the mid 80s. Can't recall the box art on that one.

I recently finished an original issue AMT '66 Mustang, built as the convertible version, with the original kit's styled Steel Wheels. Strange that the bvox illustration has the wheel covers included in the current kit on the box art. The original box art is very similar to the new kit.

DSCF2852.jpg

RonHamilton66FordMustangConvertible2.jpg

Guest Johnny

That is pretty odd... :blink:

Also... molded-in stock exhaust system, and headers...

quite a weird mish-mash.

Gotta remember how old this kit really is. That is how it was done back in the olden days. :lol:

I recently finished an original issue AMT '66 Mustang, built as the convertible version, with the original kit's styled Steel Wheels. Strange that the bvox illustration has the wheel covers included in the current kit on the box art. The original box art is very similar to the new kit.

DSCF2852.jpg

RonHamilton66FordMustangConvertible2.jpg

Do you have a pic of the rear?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build, Ron.

Question: is the white insert in the seats a stock option? I saw a really nice '66 K-code convertible in Starmist Blue with the blue Pony interior, that was really sharp. I might build one of these like that, but the blue with the white and blue interior like yours is pretty cool.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 months later...

Nice build, Ron.

Question: is the white insert in the seats a stock option? I saw a really nice '66 K-code convertible in Starmist Blue with the blue Pony interior, that was really sharp. I might build one of these like that, but the blue with the white and blue interior like yours is pretty cool.

Charlie Larkin

Here You Go Charlie. Sorry for the long period if answering your question, as I have not seen this post until now.

1966_00013_04.jpg

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Using the aforementioned Cougar chassis (page 1) I built this movie replica from this kit. I think it was the release with the three sets of tires and a few custom parts.

100_1166.jpg

100_1174.jpg

I believe it did have a pony interior, but the inner door detail was poor and the seats are awful. I ended up replacing them from the parts box.

100_1129.jpg

This was the release I used.

100_0889.jpg

• 2 months later...

The original issue had a unique decal sheet with the Tasca Ford advertising thatwent on the sides for racing sponsorship. The driver's name, Bill Lawton was used on the sides as well. I have this box plus a few unused parts that belonged to my mother's younger brother. I got it from mom when she was cleaning her mother's farmhouse out a few months after her passing. An unusual option I found interesting about this kit was that it included plastic tire caps that could be glued to the tire sides and had spacers for the wheel centers. The car from this kit is long gone, but still has extras that i could use for other '66 Mustang kits to build all variations this one had to offer.