Model Cars Magazine Forum

What paint for Revell '69 Camaro Z/28 RS?

JayC

I think I have pretty much settled on this kit as my foray back into modelling. I'm just wondering, what paint do you think I will need for it? I've pretty much settled on Hugger Orange as the body color. I'm hoping DupliColor has a color similar. I've got an Advance Auto nearby so I can check there sometime. Does anyone know what DupliColor's version might be called? Does DupliColor come in small cans, too? I see a lot of spray cans for it on these forums but not any regular cans. Since I've got an airbrush in shipment, it would be a waste to get spray cans. I'll use DupliColor primer and clear since it will (hopefully) be the color I work with. As far as other colors needed, I'm not sure.

Guest Gramps-xrds

You can use duplicolor. All you have to do is decant it in a paint jar and use the airbrush. The nice thing is you can thin it more if you want and the air brush will give you smaller droplets and less orange peal even in the clear. By adding a little thinner it will degas the paint quicker too. I've done it for yrs.

Edited by Gramps-xrds

Thanks guys. :lol:

What are some other colors you think I will need? I'm thinking a flat black, amber for the turn signals, and silver for the trim and maybe engine. Other than those three, I haven't a clue. I know the instructions and sometimes the boxes will tell you what colors you need, but that is hard to do when you have to order online. ;)

As far as decanting a spray can, I just read one way that it might be possible to do. The idea is to turn the can upside down and spray the air out. Then, punch a hole in the can pour out the remaining liquid. Is that a safe way to do it? I sure don't want to be wearing the paint! I already accidentally blew up a can of engine cleaner in the house some years back. :blink: I wasn't trying to decant it. For some reason it was sitting on the couch. I dropped a pair of scissors on the cushion and they bounced right into the can. I ran the can outside as fast as I could! :lol:

Guest Gramps-xrds
Thanks guys.

As far as decanting a spray can, I just read one way that it might be possible to do. The idea is to turn the can upside down and spray the air out. Then, punch a hole in the can pour out the remaining liquid. Is that a safe way to do it? I sure don't want to be wearing the paint! I already accidentally blew up a can of engine cleaner in the house some years back. :D I wasn't trying to decant it. For some reason it was sitting on the couch. I dropped a pair of scissors on the cushion and they bounced right into the can. I ran the can outside as fast as I could! :lol:

It's not a good idea to punch a hole in a paint can. I have done it when trying to get the last little bit of paint, but you'll not get all the propellant out, so I don't recommend that. What you can do is use a straw inserted in the nozzel after you remove the spray tip or spray it directly in larger jar.

Thanks, Gramps, that is what I will do. I sure don't want another can blowing up! :lol:

I was checking the Hobbylinc site out again. They have the Testors Hugger Orange, but only in a bulk of three. It drives me nuts how they bulk up stuff like that. I don't want three of them, I just want one. I like their site, otherwise, as they have a large selection of just about everything.

Are 1/4 oz. bottles only sold in stores? I can't even find them on Testors' own website. They seem to only want to add 1/2 oz. bottles to my cart. 1/2 oz. is good and all, but I don't want 1/2 oz. bottle for some color I might only need very little of. Hobbylinc only has 1/4 oz. bottles in bulk.

Edited by JayC

Guest Gramps-xrds

The 1/4 oz jars used to be sold by most of the big box stores (wal-mart-kmart and others) but now I couldn't say. I know wally world stopped carrying them but I think they still carry the larger 2oz plasti-kote odds n ends enamel, but I can't guarantee it.

Testors still sells 1/4 ounce jars. I suspect the website just doesn't change quantity. I've seen that with a few places. The standard Pla enamels should arrive in the little square glass jars we all know and love, unless they have a special Internet sale packaging, which is possible, but not likely.

As to three cans of Hugger Orange, as you build, you may need more, but check around, I'm sure somebody is willing to sell you an individual can. If you don't have a hobby dealer within a reasonable drive, it might be best to wait until you have an excuse to head in the general direction of one and run several errands at once.

Charlie Larkin

DO NOT PUNCH A HOLE INTO THE CAN!!! :P

Even after you "gas out" the can if you disturb or shake the can even a little bit, the solvents in the paint can once again cause pressure inside the can! Punch a hole in the can, and you've got yourself one huge mess on your hands, and your face, and your clothes..............

Do as shown in the pics here if you want to decant sprays..........

Get some snow cone cups or funnel cups like the ones they use in dispensers and cut the tip off as shown............

P9143289-vi.jpg

Then tape the cup to an airbrush jar.........

P9143290-vi.jpg

Then spray away inside the can............:D

P9143291-vi.jpg

No muss, no fuss, and much, much, safer! :P

DO NOT PUNCH A HOLE INTO THE CAN!!! :P

Even after you "gas out" the can if you disturb or shake the can even a little bit, the solvents in the paint can once again cause pressure inside the can! Punch a hole in the can, and you've got yourself one huge mess on your hands, and your face, and your clothes..............

Get some snow cone cups or funnel cups like the ones they use in dispensers and cut the tip off as shown............

P9143289-vi.jpg

P9143290-vi.jpg

Then spray away inside the jar............:D

P9143291-vi.jpg

No muss, no fuss, and much, much, safer! :P

• 4 years later...

DO NOT PUNCH A HOLE INTO THE CAN!!! :o

P9143289-vi.jpg

P9143290-vi.jpg

Then spray away inside the jar............ ;)

P9143291-vi.jpg

No muss, no fuss, and much, much, safer! ;)

Thanks for posting this! I've read about a method using a straw to decant paint but this looks easier to do.