Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photo etch question

Hi everyone, I have been building models for years but my skills continue to improve. I have found many of the tips in the forums to be great. Here is my question, I am building a Revell 68 Corvette roadster and see that there is a photo etch detail kit that I can purchase online. I have not used photo etch parts before so I am wondering if I was to use the photo etch parts would I sand down the plastic details on the car body, I.e., front and rear corvette emblems and the lettering on the hood, or keep the details and lettering and apply the etched part on top. I am just starting to prep the body for primer and thought I should ask the experts on this forum.

Thanks

Scott

Yes, if you're going to use PE in locations whare there's molded-on detail, remove it. Some builders find it necessary (me for one) to drill tiny locating holes in the body for reference before totally obliterating the molded details. You have to be careful to make sure your holes are located correctly and small enough to be covered by the PE, especailly wnen doing script.

i continue to be amazed how the PE manufacturers expect modelers to envision how their parts go together. some come with sketchy instructions, and some of the military stuff i've used does have good information, but i really think they're doing themselves a dis-service by not including complete "how - to" instructions.

what's the worst that could happen; they sell more products?

Joe, I totally agree. I find my self scratching my head at times wondering what to do next. Thank goodness for forums, many of us would be lost without this resource. Scott

Absolutely. I would be totally lost on how to assemble MFH PE wire wheels without Andy Smith's tutorial, (which is hard to find based on a very weak search function on this forum). It would also be good to see PE tutorials on things like windshield wipers and piano hinges. Maybe we need a pinned PE section.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52976

Picture8_zpsefde6fb6.png

Edited by sjordan2