Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1/24 '77 4x4 GMC Truck

tooltas

Thank you, Gerry. The plow consists of a few more pieces than I expected, and looks like a great starting point for a fully detailed unit.

Just don't follow the painting instructions in the kit! They are incorrect on a few pieces if you truly want to match what they should be. I did notice that this snowplow closely resembles a Western type although it is not referenced as such, probably to avoid the licensing fees.

This is a much nicer kit than I anticipated and will definitely be building more than the 3 I already have! Santa are you listening????

if it is i don't know these trucks very well then

It's not you, it is (was) Monogram. I have no idea why they added this fuel injection unit when they had a perfectly simplistic, traditional carb and manifold setup in the Chevy stepside kits.

BTW, I saw some (what looked like) nice in scale chain at Michael's today, which would probably look good with the plow. It was in the bead aisle, so it should be easy to find.

Roger-

Casey mentioned in his post above that chain from Michaels would be correct, just make sure you keep it close to scale. There could also be some chain available in the train section at a LHS, although I am not 100% sure.

The wheels in the kit are indeed 8 lug and they should be 6 lug. The older Monogram '76 Chevy Stepside kit has the factory ralley wheels with the correct lug pattern. There was someone on here making resin copies but their name escapes me at this moment, maybe someone will remember? I plan on using the factory ralley wheels or plain steel wheels on my builds.

The painting instructions for the plow components isn't 100% accurate either. The undercarriage, trip springs and plow frame should be black instead of red. The plow motor and blade should be the only parts painted red.

Hopefully I will get some better weather for painting as I am itching to get this kit built!

just picked this kit up today. this is the first kit of this model i have ever seen so im not familiar with its predecessors. all in all im pretty happy with it...has lots of possibilities. there are a few things that could have been done different. for starters, the intake should have been a standard small block with a carb; the firewall has no detail, so a master should atleast been added; and the door panels are smooth with a bump out for the armrest. other then those things im pretty stoked about this kit. will probably pick another one up in the future.

Back when this kit was orig made (80's), a way to know the weight carrying capacity of the truck was to look and count the lug nuts. 8 was the sign of a 3/4 ton truck or even a heavier 1 ton, the 3/4 would be either a 20 (chevy) or a 2500 (gmc). And the "3/4 ton" was missleading too, as the vehicles also had an HD (heavy duty) cousin still badged the same that would carry even more. All the 8 lugs means is it is a heavier more capable truck-something I would want when pushing snow. 6 lugs was a 1/2 ton, softer ride, but less heft for work. (Sorry, I am a truck person, if you want a soft ride and are not worried about what a truck will do, then you need to be in a car.)

Albert,

Revell did not have a long bed truck already tooled up so that is why they went with the short bed 1/2 ton. I agree that any serious plowing would be done in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck due to the beefier chassis and running gear but we will take what we can get! I do remember seeing a lot of these shortbed, 1/2 ton pickups doing driveways as they were easier to navigate with, much like Jeeps, Blazers, Broncos & Scouts.

If you can find the Monogram pickup this truck was based off, it has the correct six lug wheels.

But then again, this kit does have an incorrectly tooled rear axle, which is more like the full floating 14 bolt in appearace than the 12 bolt that a 1/2 ton should have. It's not uncommon to see 3/4 or 1 ton axles swapped into 1/2 ton shortbeds used for plowing.