Model Cars Magazine Forum

Expensive & collectible kits. Do you build or keep?

Build 'em, I really urked a couple of my fellow modelers quite a few years ago. I forget what kit it even was now but it was a higher dollar kit worth $75.00 and one of my friends offered to buy it. I had ideas of customizing it so I did, I've never seen such a look on someones face after I drew a saw accross it and began cutting it up but me I didn't care. I had the itch to hack it up and I did. Models in my eyes are meant to be built... I want to say it was an older Cadillac that I cut up but I forget which one it was....

I intend to build every old/rare kit I have in my stash. Whether or not it actually happens is another thing.

That's just about exactly what I planned to say! I better start building pretty fast if I'm actually going to get it done but I can't figure out what I'd be saving them for if I just saved them.

Edited by mr moto

Build 'em, I really urked a couple of my fellow modelers quite a few years ago. I forget what kit it even was now but it was a higher dollar kit worth $75.00 and one of my friends offered to buy it. I had ideas of customizing it so I did, I've never seen such a look on someones face after I drew a saw accross it and began cutting it up but me I didn't care. I had the itch to hack it up and I did. Models in my eyes are meant to be built... I want to say it was an older Cadillac that I cut up but I forget which one it was....

I got an old star trek Voyager kit and had someone offer me $350 for that.

Build 'em, it's not like there's a real shortage of old kits, they're all collecting dust in people's basements. With the overall "graying" if the hobby all you old farts are eventually going to shuffle off this mortal coil in the next decade or two there will be a glut of these so called rare/hard-to-find kits.

Looking at the fact eBay has 72,000+ models for sale all day, everday since I joined in 1998 makes me believe 95% of every kit ever made is sitting in someone's closet somewhere...

Edited by niteowl7710

Build 'em, it's not like there's a real shortage of old kits, they're all collecting dust in people's basements. With the overall "graying" if the hobby all you old farts are eventually going to shuffle off this mortal coil in the next decade or two there will be a glut of these so called rare/hard-to-find kits.

Looking at the fact eBay has 72,000+ models for sale all day, everday since I joined in 1998 makes me believe 95% of every kit ever made is sitting in someone's closet somewhere...

We cant take them with us, so why miss out on enjoying building that rare kit?

imo it would be a shame if some rare kits would never see daylight as build models , like people said they where made to be build and when a rare kit is build its still a rare model right :) i would build any rare kit ... only if it would be worth serious silly money i would consider not to .. but that would have to be so much money its impossibloe for a kit to become so valuable ...lol