Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the differences between AMT 39/40 Ford Tudor sedan kits?

CEKPETHO BCE

Hello there.

I would like to know the differences between the different AMT 39/40 Ford tudor kits.

These are the kits I'm referring to:

AMT_6522.jpg

AMT_30262.jpg

AMT-38484-2T.jpg

I know the one with red model on the box comes with cragar rims and some racing parts. How about the other 2?

Also, is the chassis with fenders and 39 lights/grill interchangeable with AMT's 40 Ford coupe? I'd love to build a 39 Coupe since it's my favorite Ford ever.

Thanks

Edited by CEKPETHO BCE

There was a variant of the 39/40 Sedan kit that had a different fender unit. It was part of the Diamond in the Rough set, which also included the AMT '53 F100 and the AMT Service Trailer. The 3 fenders on it were made to dented and had rusted out wheel openings. I beleive the remaining running board was bent as well. The other fender and running board were separate, and essentially in "new" condition.

You can swap the fenders to make a '39 Coupe . You have to remove cross bracing over the chassis due to

interference . There is also a niggling little gap to ignore . It is "close enough for Government Work" . If I have to explain , you won't understand . Just like Harley Davidson and Jeep . Tahnx ..

• 3 years later...

There was a variant of the 39/40 Sedan kit that had a different fender unit. It was part of the Diamond in the Rough set, which also included the AMT '53 F100 and the AMT Service Trailer. The 3 fenders on it were made to dented and had rusted out wheel openings. I beleive the remaining running board was bent as well. The other fender and running board were separate, and essentially in "new" condition.

Any chance we can see photos of the Diamond in the Rough version? I'd love to see the difference between that and other '39/'40 Ford Sedan kits. It's interesting that this version was only offere once. I wonder where the tooling is for that kit?

You can swap the fenders to make a '39 Coupe . You have to remove cross bracing over the chassis due to

interference . There is also a niggling little gap to ignore . It is "close enough for Government Work" . If I have to explain , you won't understand . Just like Harley Davidson and Jeep . Tahnx ..

I have found that removing one razor saw blade width at the middle of the back of the fender unit makes that annoying gap disappear. 

Here's a couple of scans of the instructions for the 'Diamond' 40 Ford sedan. The instructions don't mention the custom parts for the sedan,but they are there.The windows are all separate pieces,not one piece like the kit. That's why it tells you what they are. I would like to see 2 of these kits to compare the damage to the fenders. I used to work in a factory that had a plastic molding division,and you can set the press to eject the parts before they are cooled properly. I've been wondering if that's how the 'damage was done. The body and interior are untouched.The front bumper is bent and missing a guard. could be done before plating. That way they didn't have to make new molds!

40a.jpg

40b.jpg

An interesting footnote here:   This kit CANNOT be built as a correct 1939 Ford, as the hood is a 1940 Standard hood, quite different in shapes and contours from the '39 Deluxe Fords.  Also, it comes with only the 1940 Deluxe instrument panel, and the new-for-1940 molded acetate plastic steering wheel.  The last omission is a set of 1939 Ford "wide five" wheels with their two piece hubcaps.

Art

An interesting footnote here:   This kit CANNOT be built as a correct 1939 Ford, as the hood is a 1940 Standard hood, quite different in shapes and contours from the '39 Deluxe Fords.  Also, it comes with only the 1940 Deluxe instrument panel, and the new-for-1940 molded acetate plastic steering wheel.  The last omission is a set of 1939 Ford "wide five" wheels with their two piece hubcaps.

Art

Darn Art, I was hoping you were going to sound in here with more info on the history of this kit. Especially the Diamond in the Rough version.

Scott Aho

So, the best I'm gonna get by combining the 39/40 Fenders, grille and hood with a 40 Coupe is a "1939-ish" Coupe. Better make is a Street Rod then, as mistakes won't matter. (as Much, anyway)

I keep wondering when Round2 will return to the 1940 Ford Kits. The only one they have not put their distinctive "Spin" on is the 39/40 Sedan. I'm in for a whole bunch of them, as the Sedan is my favorite of all the 40's. New Decals, maybe those new narrow slicks from the Mod Rod, and a few restored parts to spice things up. 'IF' it ever happens, it will sell really well.  I am glad to see the '57 and the '49 Ford come back.  I wonder what else is waiting?

AMT's kit may not be able to be built into a true '39, but what other choices are there? I have a kit that I will be building as the "'39". It will not be right, but I like that front end.

My dad use to have a '50 Olds fastback Club Coupe with a '51 Olds front end on it. It was even titled as a'51. The last year for the Olds fastback was 1950. A bodyman had put the '51 front on a wrecked '50 before my dad bought it.

So if anybody questions about in correctness of my '39, I'll just claim it was a '40 that was in a wreck. And the person who owned it like the looks of '39 better. So that's how it was rebuilt. The best of both worlds. The convenience and modern new features of a '40. With the basic looks of a '39.

By the way, I don't know if it's been mentioned. But, with everything wrong with the '39 Ford kit. I've not seen anybody here mention that the taillights are way too high on the rear fenders when building the '39 also. Still I'm going to build mine as the '39.