Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dry-lakes scratchbashed '29 Ford/Ardun: Front 4-link, etc., Jan. 26

Ace-Garageguy

Fitted the chassis w/ rear suspension mocked-up in final location...

Jan42015001_zpsdf2f9d1c.jpg

...to flip it over and verify the stance is still right.

Jan42015004_zpsee202d5c.jpg

Started filling the cockpit opening with styrene strip for a hard tonneau, and filling the rear wheel wells with clean styrene sheet inserts.

Jan42015007_zpsa69b4d25.jpg

Then, because the rear suspension is in the right place, was able to mark and cut the new wheel wells for correct axle and spring clearance.

Jan42015010_zps79f14a7a.jpg

Hokay...the Ardun engine has nice headers, but they won't work for this one. Happy for me, the old AMT double-T-kit Lincoln engine headers have perfect port-spacing, and long megaphones too.

DEC282014Lakester002_zps4ca87737.jpg

The engine is located in the correct position by the rear crossmember under the gearbox. The headers are mocked up, and the frame is marked for position. Then the marks will be transferred to the hood sides for cutting clearance slots. The mockup also lets me make sure the 4-link bars and bracket will clear.

Jan42015015_zpscb952d2f.jpg

I got Lefty to sit in the car while I started mocking up the wind-screen. I'm going to copy the way Monogram did it on their old Kurtis Indy car, so it snaps into place. Nice engineering there, so you can only put a dot of glue on each end to keep it from coming out, and you're done.

JAN112015003_zps58fcafce.jpg

Being an inanimate object, Lefty has infinite patience. He didn't mind sitting in the car while I started building up a helmet-fairing from sheet and strip styrene. (Lefty got his name after a near-tragic bench mishap, during which his right arm was lost. It reappeared as I was cleaning and packing to move, and was re-attached.)

JAN112015005_zps6a2b351f.jpg

While I was in Bondo mode, it seemed like a good time to take the center bellypan, fixture it to a good '29 shell, and begin the final shaping so it will actually fit well. The helmet-fairing is progressing here too.

JAN112015011_zpsb2af6b3e.jpg

For the rear bellypan, I'll be using sections from the unit under Revell's classic Orange Crate kit. I had a painted glooey one, so I'll cut that up instead of a new one.

Jan42015009_zps55c5f3f4.jpg

Here's the rear pan in progress, with the louvered center-rear section cut from another original Ala Kart gluebomb. I actually bought several of them specifically to salvage the louvered bits for this project.

JAN112015012_zps297de1f9.jpg

So...this is pretty much what I had in mind at the beginning, a cross of an old asphalt car and a dry-lakes roadster, and about as slick as you could get without building a belly-tanker or streamliner. There's some tweeking to be done, but this is the look. The only real deviation from this mockup will be to a switch to skinnier front tires, for a little aero-drag reduction.

JAN112015027_zps321cac83.jpg

JAN112015029_zps54d84e9b.jpg

JAN112015030_zps8792bbd8.jpg

This is where the "work" part of the build starts for me, and where I usually flame-out...doing all the less creative final fitting, sanding, detailing, etc. Gonna try to keep her going this time. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy