Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I got this one because I'm currently working on the racing version of the Cosmo that ran the 84-hour Marathon de Route at the Nurburgring in 1968. That's right, EIGHTY-FOUR hours!  "Achtung, Pierre, I see your wimpy little French race and raise you 60 hours!"  Two Cosmos ran. One finished fourth, behind a couple of Porsches and an Alfa, IIRC.  The other broke its left rear axle after 82 hours.  This was the very first race for the Wankel engine and the Cosmo, so that was quite an achievement.

Mike, I sure hope you will post the race version in the Under Glass section, when you are done. The Cosmo is a beautiful looking car which rivals the Toyota 2000 of that time period.

Not actually HERE yet. But I did manage to snag a couple of old annuals this weekend.

An original issue 1961 Ford Sunliner with the up top. As well as an original issue 1961 Impala convertible.

Both appeared to be pretty decent and will go in the stash for a later date. I have another 61 Ford builder,,but this one was much more complete then mine.

61Ford.jpg

61Impala.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Not actually HERE yet. But I did manage to snag a couple of old annuals this weekend.

An original issue 1961 Ford Sunliner with the up top. As well as an original issue 1961 Impala convertible.

Both appeared to be pretty decent and will go in the stash for a later date. I have another 61 Ford builder,,but this one was much more complete then mine.

61Ford.jpg

61Impala.jpg

COOL 61 Chevy....love the older stuff.   A friend sent me a Revell 57 Ford Del Rio wagon kit for my birthday.

New desk lamp arrived today. Now I can work- and see... what I am working on. 

Love mine. If you forget and leave it on, or it's in sunlight, its not going to cook your work or your house. No annoying buzz from bulb either, and head lots lighter so you can position easier. 

Very nice!  Hows the detail?

Detail is amazing for a 40yr old kit. Lots of bolt head details on the interior/exterior parts. For the age the decals look really good. The only real issues I see so far are the glass on mine is abit scratched as it wasn't wrapped separately and the tires, better than the MPC version still are decent but they're Firestone's and the #1 and #2 car from Shelby ran on Goodyears. I'll likely buy some more of the Goodyear blue streaks from Indycals.

David

Mike, I sure hope you will post the race version in the Under Glass section, when you are done. The Cosmo is a beautiful looking car which rivals the Toyota 2000 of that time period.

Thanks!  I plan to do that, Working on it.  The body's painted and I was about to start decaling when...

I found several online build reviews of the Cosmo racing kit, including one by Chuck Most.  All 3 mentioned pretty serious decal problems - ripping, sticking to the paper, etc. 

Decided to test that with the "extra" decals at the bottom of the sheet - the kit name etc.  I applied these to an old kit body. Sure enough, they didn't want to come off the paper, even after a lengthy soak in warm water.  And ripped when they finally did come off. 

Part of the problem may just be age - this decal sheet is dated "6.1994." So before I leap into it any more and ruin anything, I'm going to scan/copy the decals and print them out so I have a back-up sheet.

Detail is amazing for a 40yr old kit. Lots of bolt head details on the interior/exterior parts. For the age the decals look really good. The only real issues I see so far are the glass on mine is abit scratched as it wasn't wrapped separately and the tires, better than the MPC version still are decent but they're Firestone's and the #1 and #2 car from Shelby ran on Goodyears. I'll likely buy some more of the Goodyear blue streaks from Indycals.

David

Nice!  thnx!

Got a bunch more styrene, sheet and rod, some more PE instrument faces, bezels and panels, some carb and injector linkage, and a fret of MCG #2238 photo-etched saw blades. These are in addition to the PE blades I got a while back, and so far, I'm impressed.

A conventional 32-TPI razor saw is only about .014" thick, but these new ones are only .007". They're designed to fit in X-acto handles, and I've been able to tackle a job of scribing I'd put off for a couple of years because I wasn't satisfied with the tools I had. 

If you hack a lot of stuff up like I do, these PE blades are tough to beat.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Got a bunch more styrene, sheet and rod, some more PE instrument faces, bezels and panels, some carb and injector linkage, and a fret of MCG #2238 photo-etched saw blades. These are in addition to the PE blades I got a while back, and so far, I'm impressed.

A conventional 32-TPI razor saw is only about .014" thick, but these new ones are only .007". They're designed to fit in X-acto handles, and I've been able to tackle a job of scribing I'd put off for a couple of years because I wasn't satisfied with the tools I had. 

If you hack a lot of stuff up like I do, these PE blades are tough to beat.

Bill. are those PE blades pretty sturdy ? I have been putting off getting any because I thought they may be flimsy.

Bill. are those PE blades pretty sturdy ? I have been putting off getting any because I thought they may be flimsy.

I've been using the Tamiya PE blades for a while; you do have to be careful not to put too much pressure on them because they will bend (although they can be straightened pretty well). To me they're indispensible for fine work; I've removed well-glued windshields without damaging the trim.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...