Model Cars Magazine Forum

Richard Petty 1981 Dodge Mirada...the car that never run!

Plasticfanatic

This is my attempt at doing the 1981 NASCAR Dodge Mirada test car build by Petty Enterprisses for King Richard return to Dodge but that Petty rejected after testing at Daytona in practice runs. Even if the car was never raced it was a "Petty car" and to be honest and for some reason I do like the look of the car very much, it will look nicely with other of my R.Petty cars.

This is not a perfect replica but I like how is coming along, hope is of your liking to.

015-vi.jpg

016-vi.jpg

018-vi.jpg

W-409,

That stock Dodge Mirada by Air Trax is truly a beauty and I am going to order one this week to build it as in the picture, replica stock and cant wait to get it in my hands!!

I took the scrachtbuilding way mainly because so many things had to be reworked to a Nascar car that to me it would be a crime cutting up and sanding the Air Trax beautiful body kit....as well as expensive!!! I hope they do a Lincoln Mark V from the late 1970's to.

Let's also remember GARY NELSON built that Magnum. How legal do you think it really was?????? But I also am a big fan of the Petty's. If you've never been to Level Cross, NC and seen the old shop and museum, GO it is well worth the trip!

PS: That Mirada looks great! Keep up the good work!

Little more work in the front and back of the car and also a shoot of the soon to be Petty Magnum which is still in its early stages and still a lot of blending and sanding to the fenders openings which where reduced in radius.

The back tire of the Mirada in the back view picture is loose and is sitting a little outside.

002-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

011-vi.jpg

11-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

Following this through, I learned something. I knew that Junior Johnson put together a Mirada for Darrell Waltrip to test but it didn't go as expected, but I didn't know the Petty's did too. Just think what might have been if the Mirada turned out to be the thing. That #5 Magnum driven by Neil Bonnett won it last race in Phoenix I think. Might be wrong on the track.

Found these

petty_mirada_testing.jpg

AirTraxresin1983DodgeMirada10-vi.jpg

Ahhh....the AirTrax Mirada resin transkit...is a beauty and I am saving my pennys to get one to put it besides my NASCAR version, AirTrax did a SUPERB job on the street version and I cant wait to get mine.

And my friends...the above Daytona test track photo shown is probably the ONLY know photo of the finished and running car in R.Petty/STP livery...none other photos of the car at the Daytona speed trial...b/w,color,press photo,fan photo,etc,etc have come to light that I or other Petty enthusiast know of.

By the way...you're doing a great job and my pointing out these resin bodies is in noway my saying that it's the way to go.

No problem at all my friend, in fact is very good info. for all of the fellow members who would like to build one of these cars, I for one want the Airtrax Mirada very,very much, I have a photo of one in blue metalic paint that looks wonderful and want to do it that way for my street/factory stock version build.

Edited by Plasticfanatic

If anyone have available the Airtrax Dodge Mirada in the USA for sale, please drop me a line, am looking for one. Unfortunately the currency exchange plus shipping make the direct buy to Airttax a little dificult for me these days of hard economic times.

Edited by Plasticfanatic

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have a website where I can get the Air-trax Mirada. I think it is kinda a no brainer that I need one in my collection.

Send an Email to raurata@yahoo.com

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26136

And for inspiration, Dodge Mirada built by Juha Airio on page three in that thread... Those bodies are very nice.