Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mini Cooper Mk1 998 c.c (Revell)

GeeBee

Finished the flocking last night and left it to dry out overnight, this is the first time I had used the Detail Master's flocking, it's a lot finer than the stuff I have used in the paste, next time I use it I think I will have to use a fine sieve, Looks better in real life as the photo makes the part look a lot bigger than it actually is, also got the seat frames and brackets painted black, another plus point for the Revell version, as the tamiya version does have a frame on the front seats .... also got the dask masked off and painted the satin black parts, now it needs re-masking and the centre part doing in a light grey

2013-03-01131536_zpsf7cd8efa.jpg

2013-03-01125528_zps775c9e65.jpg

2013-02-28165048_zps37b86474.jpg

2013-02-28210849_zps9297b351.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

With the interior parts set aside to dry off, I now started work on the floorpan, before fitting the rear subframe I dry fitted it and found the pins were a slightly tight fit in the holes, not a fault with the kit, but just a little paint on both surfaces getting in the way, the holes were simply cleaned out using a small drill, not to drill the holes out any larger, but just to clean out the paint, but before the parts were fixed together, the fuel & brake lines were picked out using a silver permanent marker, then the rear dampers were fixed to the subframe and the subframe was fixed to the floorpan using 5 minute epoxy and clamped in place.

With that set aside to dry, I now started to build the engine up, a few parts that had been airbrushed needed picking out in a detail colour, but all parts fitted onto the engine without any problem, now the engine can be fitted into the engine bay.

With everything dry it was time to pop the engine into place, now I really should have followed the instructions, as with the radiator in place, there was no way the engine was going in, so the carburettor had to be taken off, so did the radiator, and a small part at the base of the radiator was sliced off, you can't see this once it's all together, but doing it makes it possible to put the radiator over the cooling fan and slide the radiator into place, a few drops of cyano' glue on the engine mount and the engine was pushed into place, next one will be done as per the intructions ....

2013-03-01180336_zps4c645d77.jpg

2013-03-01182705_zpsf1150a04.jpg

2013-03-02160610_zps31fc1d6e.jpg

2013-03-02160621_zps989661dd.jpg

2013-03-02180456_zpscf04e782.jpg

2013-03-02180509_zps7654735d.jpg

Before closing the hobby room for the night, I decided to get a little bit of work done on the interior, so the gear lever, handbrake and seats went in ...

2013-03-02222140_zps070883d3.jpg

2013-03-02222147_zpsf6fabba8.jpg

also painted the wiper motor, which is molded to the bulkhead, also fitted the air filter

2013-03-02221445_zps5a8644b3.jpg

Look's great Geoff , I haven't been able to find one down here yet . So how would you say it is overall compared to the tamiya version , looks a little less detailed in some areas but more detailed in others to me from your pics so far .

Look's great Geoff , I haven't been able to find one down here yet . So how would you say it is overall compared to the tamiya version , looks a little less detailed in some areas but more detailed in others to me from your pics so far .

The Tamiya Mini is my favorite kit of all time, until now !! I have built 6 of the Tamiya versions including one I converted to a more basic Mini with a lot of scratchbuilt parts and the proper 10" non Cooper wheels and front grille, but the Revell version has just got the detail in the kit a lot better, the engine is totally prototypical of the real thing, the interior is much better, mainly because of the front seat frames and the rear seat support in the middle, the dash is a lot easier to paint and detail as the clock binnicle is a seperate part, at the moment I'm enjoying this build and actually look forward to getting in the hobby room ......

So at the moment the Revell Mini has knocked the Tamiya off the top spot .....saying that I still have 7 of the Tamiya Mini's to build.

Looking at the Revell kit, it looks like they will be releasing modified versions of this kit, just look at the floorpan and the rear shelf, there's flashed over holes in the rear shelf, possibly for a roll bar, and under the one seat it looks like seat rails for a racing seat, plus the bodyshell has molding indents for two fuel filler caps, possibly a Cooper S version next ??

Not a lot of progress on this, but I have desided that it will built as a Morris, so I put the deal on the top of the engine and steering wheel, I also put the decal on the dash clocks, however I really wasn't happy with the way the Alclad on the wheels had turned out, looked more like polished aluminium that chrome, so they were stripped using oven cleaner, my best Alclad to date was doing the chrome on the '32 Chrysler, so thinking on how I did it back then, so I did a couple of coats of grey plastic primer, followed by a couple of coats of gloss black Testor's enamel thinned with lacquer thinners, then left to dry out for a day before putting the Alclad on using my Passche F1 set at 15 p.s.i, it's a good job I keep notes on previous builds ....

This time the Alclad turned out just fine ....

2013-03-05213511_zps55de77a3.jpg

2013-03-05213520_zps9cf60390.jpg

2013-03-06134731_zps9a545fef.jpg

2013-03-06132815_zps1a06f816.jpg

Hi,

This one is coming along really nicely Geoff. Looking forward to seeing it for real one of these days.

Great thread with all the detail - keep it going.

Cheers,

Jim

Cheer's Jim, pop round anytime, you know where I am ....

The engine bay looks like it has some more stuff to it then the tamiya version or is that just me?

Main differences that I can see is that the Tamiya has a servo on the rh side, where the Revell one has the heater air ducting. That may well be correct, due to them representing different versions, but my knowledge on specifics like that about Minis is rather limited. The Revell also has a larger airbox, whereas the Tamiya has individual filters., which will also make the engine bays look different. The Revell also includes the crankcase breather system, which is missing from the Tamiya, and of course plug leads.

However, I haven't seen the Revell kit in person, just photos. Geoff - what's your view on the above?

Looking great btw - really looking forward to seeing more!

Edited by Paul H

Main differences that I can see is that the Tamiya has a servo on the rh side, where the Revell one has the heater air ducting. That may well be correct, due to them representing different versions, but my knowledge on specifics like that about Minis is rather limited. The Revell also has a larger airbox, whereas the Tamiya has individual filters., which will also make the engine bays look different. The Revell also includes the crankcase breather system, which is missing from the Tamiya, and of course plug leads.

However, I haven't seen the Revell kit in person, just photos. Geoff - what's your view on the above?

The Tamiya version is the 1275c.c Cooper S and that did have a servo fitted to the brake system, but it also had a fresh air ducting to the heater, which is missing from the Tamiya kit, also the hydraulic clutch master cylinder is also missing from the kit.

Cooper S 1275 engine bay

2013-03-08124213_zps795abdd5.jpg

Cooper 998 Engine bay

2013-03-08123840_zps384c563b.jpg

The Revell version is the 998 c.c Cooper, which the real thing, although still had the 7" discs fitted to the front didn't have a servo fitted to the brake system, so the Revell kit is correct, also, as you have mentioned it does have the fresh air ducting for the heater, it also has the voltage regulator fitted to the inner wing and the clutch master cylinder, and the crackcase breather, inlet manifold and air cleaner is also better than the Tamiya offering, so the Revell has to get my vote for the more detailed and more prototypical kit ....

Today I decided that it was about time that the interior was built up, the cubby boxes were fixed to the side panels, the front door boxes have a couple of locating points for the boxes to fix into, the rear one's don't, but it's a simply job to fix them on, as they follow the shape molded into the side panels, a few drops of 5 minute epoxy along the sides and bottom and clamped into place and left to dry.

2013-03-12150703_zpsd37e6f98.jpg

Once they had dried, the side panels could be fixed to the floorpan, they fix along the front edge, along the bottom of the floorpan and at the rear around the wheel arch trim and a small tab at the side of the rear seat backrest, 5 minute epoxy and a few clamps held all the parts together while the glue dried, once the clamps were removed the seat belts were fixed in, there is a small locating point at the bottom of the seat belt and also at the top of the side panel, a few drops of Cyano' glue at both points and the seat belt was simply put into place, there are some black decals to go over the decals, but looking at my reference material and my memory of the Mini back in the 60's, at least in the U.k, the seat belts fitted at the time would have been a silvery grey material, and not grey, so they were airbrushed with a mix of matt aluminium and grey, the mounting points were picked out using chrome silver fast drying enamel.

2013-03-13181824_zps071ad1c5.jpg

The next small item that needed detailing were the window locks, they were simply picked out with Revell semi gloss black enamel, the only thing to fix into place now was the dashboard, but this still needed finishing off, the clocks were fixed into place, the chrome trim that goes above the dash padding was picked out using chrome BMF, the switch panel was picked out in flat grey and a decal fitted that replicates the heater controls.

2013-03-13200809_zps0dcb1a1e.jpg

2013-03-13202010_zps34a3e689.jpg

2013-03-13203406_zps39cf6f8f.jpg

Got the dash fitted, a simple job, it's fits into tabs located at the top of the side panels, almost didn't need any glue, the fit was that good, also got the BMf applied on the wheel arch trim and sill trim ...

2013-03-14125954_zpsdf2541be.jpg

2013-03-14130003_zps8973eec3.jpg

2013-03-14172651_zps9fce12b6.jpg

2013-03-14213154_zpsf07cc156.jpg

2013-03-14213226_zps34463ca3.jpg

2013-03-14213416_zps3768b738.jpg

Great work on what looks to be a great kit. A heads up to any American modelers who might be interested, this will be released as a Revell US kit in a couple months, so don't go crazy tracking one down unless you just gotta have it right now. But judging by the quality of Geoff's I think there might be a few folks who might want one sooner rather than later...

Looking great - can't wait to see the final result!

The Tamiya version is the 1275c.c Cooper S and that did have a servo fitted to the brake system, but it also had a fresh air ducting to the heater, which is missing from the Tamiya kit, also the hydraulic clutch master cylinder is also missing from the kit.

The Revell version is the 998 c.c Cooper, which the real thing, although still had the 7" discs fitted to the front didn't have a servo fitted to the brake system, so the Revell kit is correct, also, as you have mentioned it does have the fresh air ducting for the heater, it also has the voltage regulator fitted to the inner wing and the clutch master cylinder, and the crackcase breather, inlet manifold and air cleaner is also better than the Tamiya offering, so the Revell has to get my vote for the more detailed and more prototypical kit ....

Excellent - cheers for the info! Btw, are those pics from the relevant 'Original' book? They're a great series - I have the one for my '61 Sprite (which will one day see the road again...) & several other ones as reference info for a few of model kits that I'll build one day.

I could have sworn that the Tamiya Morris that I built a while back has both brake & clutch master cylinders. The inlet was imho a decent representation of the atrociously poor flowing log manifold used by BMC, so from, what you say, it sounds like the Revell engine is really well detailed (due to the small size, and larger than life photos, I'm finding it difficult to truly judge what it is like).

Quick question though - what things (if any) do you feel that the Tamiya does better? As a result of your build, I'm very tempted to get one of the Revell kits even though I have several Tamiyas, even though I'm trying not to buy any more kits until I've built the ones that I already have!

Edited by Paul H

Btw, are those pics from the relevant 'Original' book? They're a great series,I could have sworn that the Tamiya Morris that I built a while back has both brake & clutch master cylinders.

There are indeed from the Original book, I have 4 of them, Mini Cooper, Jag' MK2, VW Beetle and MGB, there great books, I bought them before the age of the internet ...

The master cylinder was a typo' I should have said, "Clutch Slave Cylinder", as your right, the Tamiya kit does indeed have the brake and clutch master cylinders in the kit

Quick question though - what things (if any) do you feel that the Tamiya does better? As a result of your build, I'm very tempted to get one of the Revell kits even though I have several Tamiyas, even though I'm trying not to buy any more kits until I've built the ones that I already have!

Good question, and I'm not sure if there is anything that the Tamiya kit offers over the newer Revell offering, apart from being a Cooper S, I suppose if I was being a rivet counter, I would say the Tamiya version has more prototypical front and rear brake hubs and discs, but there really not seen once the model is put together, the Revell version is a little bit more sturdy in that direction, the hubs are slightly out of scale, but will hold the wheels a lot better once there glued on.

I have a further 7 Tamiya Mini kits to build, plus a further 2 of the Revell one's, you may have worked out that I like Mini's .....

really been coming along nicely and i am very impressed with that interior detail work! that dashboard instrument pod looks great!

based on your experience so far and your further insights into the subject, i am going to order one of these revell kits too! looks as good or better than the tamiya in almost all ways.

thanks again!