Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter '63 Nova Convertible - kit issues???

Pontiac Ed

Does anyone recollect any issues with the Trumpeter '63 Nova convertible kit? I seem to remember someone mentioning an issue with the rear of the interior not closing off the front of the trunk. Am I right? Any other issues? I found a screaming deal on this kit and the '60 Bonneville hardtop and I just couldn't help myself.

If the Nova is really bad I could try my hand a a weathered parts car and steal the 6 cylinder engine for my AMT '63 Nova wagon.

Thanks in advance,

Pontiac Ed

I have the Nova convertible and the coupe............while I have yet to build either, the only flaw I see in the convertible body is the windshield frame is a bit too tall compared to the 1:1. The coupe's windshield and roof are spot on, so I don't know how they missed that. I can't comment on the interior though...............

It's an easy fix, and if you got a deal on the kits----that's great! :D

The '60 Bonneville hardtop..................Welllllllll------that's another story! ;)

I have the Nova convertible and the coupe............while I have yet to build either, the only flaw I see in the convertible body is the windshield frame is a bit too tall compared to the 1:1. The coupe's windshield and roof are spot on, so I don't know how they missed that. I can't comment on the interior though...............

It's an easy fix, and if you got a deal on the kits----that's great! :D

The '60 Bonneville hardtop..................Welllllllll------that's another story! ;)

The Nova HT is great; but the roof does have one inaccuracy. The drip rail molding is dead flat, where it should have a gentle arc to it. Nothing major, and oddly enough it's exactly the same inaccuracy as the AMT annual '62-65 Nova HT's. The Nova CV windshield looks way off to me, and the tonneau cover is rather tall. The '60 Pontiac...well, it's been beaten to death. And deservedly so ;)

Does anyone recollect any issues with the Trumpeter '63 Nova convertible kit? I seem to remember someone mentioning an issue with the rear of the interior not closing off the front of the trunk. Am I right? Any other issues? I found a screaming deal on this kit and the '60 Bonneville hardtop and I just couldn't help myself.

If the Nova is really bad I could try my hand a a weathered parts car and steal the 6 cylinder engine for my AMT '63 Nova wagon.

Thanks in advance,

Pontiac Ed

Here are some constructions pictures of my Box Stock Build of the Trumpeter 63 Nova cvt. What I remember most is that the rear bumber sat too low (I moved mine up). Be careful with the amount of paint in the chrone areas because they will make attaching the chrome imposible. Also there are several sink marks that need cleaning up.

http://public.fotki.com/retabeth/trumpeter_63_nova/

The Nova HT is great; but the roof does have one inaccuracy. The drip rail molding is dead flat, where it should have a gentle arc to it.

That's right! I have 1:1 pics of the coupe and yes, it does have a slight arc where you mentioned Bob. The top cover on the 'vert wouldn't be too hard to shave down a bit as looking at the kit's piece.............. it is too tall. ;)

But the buidups I've seen are pretty impressive....................I wish it came with an uptop though to save me some work! :D

I built the convt box stock a few years ago. Your right about the gap, between the top of the rear seat and the convt. boot and on the seat sides, down to the armrest's. It's about a 1/16 in. gap, easily fixed, although I didn't fix mine. The windshield is also a little tall, mine has a driver figure so it kind of takes away that effect. I never researched my build, so I don't know if the interior is accurate. I remember something about the dash being........... inaccurate? or something. For some reason I replaced the trim that follows the beltline down to the rear bumper, I can't recall why though. The hood gave me the most trouble, it's so thin where the underhood bracing goes that the lacquer(Duplicolor, primer,paint and clear) I used attacked the plastic and heaved a nice big X into the top surface of the hood. I redid this twice with the same results. When I do find(cheap) and build the hardtop, I'll use a better sealer, or milder paint to avoid this problem. A few problems, although I don't remember any assy. problems, and it looks ok on my shelf. I'd build it since you already have it. Hope I've been helpful.