Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

After 190+ pages, it is meaningless to say that I admire your perseverance, Chris.  What I do want to say, though, is that as somebody earlier said, I admire the fact that with some of these recent setbacks, you didn't loose it and turn either the body or the tinwork into a Frisbee.  I agree with you that at least this fix doesn't look to be too tough to do.  Hang in there, brother, as you are heading down the home stretch!

Chris, whenever I have moments like yours, I'll come back to this page and read it again.  Your attitude towards everything you've just shared is fantastic.  I'm not sure I would be able to say the same.  For whatever it might be worth, just seeing the interior body tin in black, makes all of the you have AND will put into the build will be the reward itself. That piece looks sweet with some color on it.  tim

After 190+ pages, it is meaningless to say that I admire your perseverance, Chris.  What I do want to say, though, is that as somebody earlier said, I admire the fact that with some of these recent setbacks, you didn't loose it and turn either the body or the tinwork into a Frisbee.  I agree with you that at least this fix doesn't look to be too tough to do.  Hang in there, brother, as you are heading down the home stretch!

My exact thoughts.

It would have went sailing away long ago if it were mine .

Just push thru and forget about it. I am sure the end result will be worth the little bumps along the way

Clayton... Thank you. I think you are right that It just wasn't meant to be to get done in time for the show. Although I am still pushing as hard as I can to get it done. I will keep continuing they way I have been and stay on the course.

Bob... Thank you. I will blame it on the Minons ;)... lol

Scott... Thanks Brother! I have to be honest that the though did cross my mind to send it flying....well actually box it up and shelve it but I know how bad I want to finish this build. The fix won't be all that hard on the tin work and a few of the parts will just need to be sanded and repainted. It just seems that anything I touch lately... I keep having to redo it a time or two. But that Light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Dave... Thanks... You are right that it could of been way worse. I truly believe that if I didn't catch it the rocks on the ground would of done more damage than what happened.

Bob... I am really hoping to have a small update later tonight. I have been working on an item that has been taking me a little longer than expected but will be worth the time once its done and posted.

Tim... Thank you very much. It means a lot. I have been trying to keep a positive attitude although  I have had my moments where I have been bummed out but I know that pushing thru it will all be ok. I am excited to have the tins back in color and hopefully I can get all the rivets installed although I need to order a Buttload of small nuts from either scale hardware or RB Motion to put on the back side of the rivets because most likely on the real car they were actually pan head screws. But I can get the rivets installed and add the nuts later as well.

Bill... Thank you. I did want to make it go sailing but I realized how much time I had in the body to get it where it was and I didn't want to redo all that work...LOL. when it comes down to it all of the set backs and heartaches will be worth the time spend redoing things when it is done because at that time I know that Have done and tried my best on the build. It's no where near perfect but will be good enough for me.

Alright Fellas... its that time for another update on what I have been working on this past week. I know it may not seem like much but it's progress. I have been getting some great work in on the blower belt. I was able to get it painted.... then got the decals on it then the past few days been getting it weathered up. Now I am at the point where it is the best that I will be able to get it. It's not perfect by any means but I am happy with my first weather job on a belt. But First off I have to Give credit and a Big Shout Out and Thank you to my Dear Friend John Teresi for sharing his technique and walking me thru how he weather's his belts. All of the Weathering was done with Folk Art Acrylic Paints that I picked up from Hobby Lobby for like $1.30 a bottle...lol. You can also get them at Michaels. John Thank you again for being willing to help me out by sharing your secrets or should I say your Minions secrets...  ;D and for being a great friend. alright let me get the pics and show the belt to you....

Here is the Belt after I had painted and added the decals:

Opposite side:

Here is the Belt after weathering, clearing and then dull coating:

Then I just have to share some other good news on some parts..... So I reached out to my Dear friend Dave and asked him if he would be willing to make a few parts for me and he didn't mind one bit. I drew the parts up in my CAD system, created a drawing for him and low and behold I received some killer parts. Dave... I can't thank you enough for taking the time to do these for me and helping me with them. Its appreciated more than you will know. I had asked him if he wouldn't mind machining some Fuel Distribution Blocks, my Fire Bottle valve and my distributor base and distributor cap. These things turned out Amazing and I wish I had my own machine to make parts like these. Dave Thank you again.

Here are the parts that Dave made for me. You can see the machined distributor next to the resin one:

Here they are next to a Penny so you can get an idea of the size of them:

Well, we DO have a "Display" Table for unfinished projects, Chris.  

Oh, wait.  You KNOW that!

Sorry.   ^_^  

PS:  Do you want your USUAL same spot on the Display Table?    ;)

Edited by Danno

I don't think this is how it went down at all. I think John sent you one of his minions, probably Kevin because he's the astute one, and he did all of the belt work. I DO believe Dave machined the parts though.

Great progress and I bet it feels good to have something completed and come out looking so good. Congrats on that feat, my friend.

Belt looks great Chris!   the new machined part are very nice!  But man next to a penny they are big!  Compared to the that use a pencil tip!   jk of course! 

cant wait to see the engine with the new Distributor wired and installed next to the belt and killer blower behind it

Bob... Thank you very  much. I can't wait to get some work done on those parts and show the distributor cap to you guys... there is more that goes to what you see which I need to make.

Danno... Thanks for the Reminder. I know all too well about the display table. You should probably put a reserved sign in that spot for me since I have multiple people telling me that I am not going to finish it in time. So looks like you will have some good material to continue to tease me with about when the build will be done. You guys win....

Brad.... No I didn't get to borrow any Minions because John has a whip that he cracks on those guys and keeps them on a tight schedule. The only way I would be able to get a Minion is if I steal one away from him...... Maybe that's what I need to do....  Thank you on the belt. Its not perfect but good enough at this point for me.

Mike... It was great to talk with ya as well. I always enjoy our chats. Thank you. I am as happy as I will be with the belt because I can't make a perfect one.

Clayton... Thank you. I am hoping that I can overcome those tins this weekend. We shall see

Dave... Thanks.... well Dang it... I really need to go buy a #2 pencil and I keep forgetting to.

Randy D... Thank you buddy.... I sure hope you don't mind having some company at the Display only table. Although I may have to be creative like you were at GSL on some sort of Display to make my build half presentable... :lol:

Ahhhh, getting excited now aren't you Chris.  Your weathering skills are fantastic.  Where did you learn to do that so accurately?   And of course, the pieces Dave made,  well,  lets just say they compliment your build in the best of ways.  cheers, tim

• 3 weeks later...