Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making small posters or magazines for dioramas

I'm going to be working on a diorama with my son soon and wanted to know if someone could point me in the right direction for making small magazines or posters. I see some models where guys will have a small model mag somewhere in thier car/truck and countertops in their little shops.

isn't Photoshop a fairly cost prohibitive program for the occasional user?

I didn't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been worth its cost many times over.

I didn't assume the asker was an occasional user.

I read his request as needing solutions so I offered them.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

Guest G Holding

isn't Photoshop a fairly cost prohibitive program for the occasional user?

Of course as it is a professional tool and quality does not come cheap.

I am on my third version,(CS5.5 Extended) and think it is the best photo editor in the world.

You can get a full legal copy if you are a student / teacher for $199.00

Full copy is $699.00. You can also join Adobe Cloud @ $29.95 a month for full access

Photoshop Elements can be had free or cheap...But it is not the full program So see if it is what you need.

For simple resizing use MS word...Paste a image in and rescale as needed.

Howard Cohen wrote a great how to article on this awhile back.

Edited by G Holding

Appreciate the suggestions. I dont have photoshop, but have access through a buddy.

Sounds good Chris,

Check out the Decal (image manipulation) Tutorials I am posting over in the Tips and Tutorials section.

You can find the covers for most any magazine online of any era, and posters of anything and any genre.

CadillacPat

You don't need Photoshop... pretty much any image manipulation programme will do, or just use your printer controls. All you need to do is scale an image. Find a picture of the cover of the magazine you want, and paste it into an A4/Letter document (in Word, even) and size the image to fit the width (most magazines are kind of A4 size -- in the US, they are mostly just a bit shorter). Then print the document, and in the "scaling" box, set it to print at 4% (1/25) actual size. For posters, do the same, but set it to 6% or 8% or 16% depending how large you want the poster to be... Set the print resolution (DPI) as high as you can get away with on the paper you are using... All of these controls should be in the Page Setup or Print dialogue box.

bestest,

M.

I'm extremely 'old school' when it comes to photoreduction; I use the technique laid out in another model mag many moons ago:

DSCN3346_edited-vi.jpg

Using my trusty(dare I say 'vintage?') 35mm camera, tripod and any vertical surface(like my garage door), I shoot pics from 12-15ft to cover 1/24 and 1/25 scales. My local WalMart still does film developing, and they only charge for what you shoot...and I seldom fill a roll with pics, so it's pretty inexpensive. I get my prints done glossy, and matte them as needed with DullCote.

For another version of photoreduction, I've printed pics from the web on photo paper and hopped to my local FedEx/Kinko's and used their color copiers to resize the stuff. I did the license plates(from the NY DMV website) and the other interior PR work in my charity raffle Manx using that method

(macro photo makes the stuff look grainy, but it's nicer in person)

DSCN6055-vi.jpg