Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 ford econoline vango..

If you're wondering " 63 ford econoline van?" Yes you're not crazy, you read it rite. I've been planning and dreaming of building a replica of a 1963 ford econoline van owned by coby gewertz. The build started with a jimmy flinstone resin dodge a100 van and a little red wagon dodge a 100 truck kit, after a lot of cutting modifying and head scratching, I've made a lot of head way with it. Almost every inch of this model has been cut and modified in one way or another and I'm not even close to being done with the body modifications.. I hope you guys enjoy and there will be more to come.

post-10513-0-84796000-1380698494_thumb.j

post-10513-0-94696000-1380698505_thumb.j

post-10513-0-84186300-1380698581_thumb.j

post-10513-0-38626100-1380698595_thumb.j

Well, I have documentation on Chrysler actually measuring a Ford Econoline when they finally retired their "Full size " panel deliveries . Chrysler simply adapted their slant six into a re skinned Ford with a one piece windshield . Go up underneath a 64-70 Dodge A van and see the similarities ...............

I would think a fair to midddlin market could be said for a 61-8 Econoline van. There is already a following on the H A M B over Econolines of this vintage and there are two van message boards devoted to BOTH the Econolines 69-74 and earlier vans of all kinds . Provided I could get something near stock out of it , I'd be interested .................

Hey, when I see a REAL market for Van Parts , I'll happily re start my manufacturing business once again. The day I signed over the papers to a long time customer of mine and relinquished control of my parts business in Dallas was indeed a DARK day for ALL vanners in the Gulf Coast . I'd run into people for several years asking when or if I would return to making parts .

Great project! I always wondered why one of the little 3 never made a model of one of these.

They think it's too small of interest group LOL I'd buy an of the early mid engine kit's in 24th or 25th. I just like Ed love vans grew up in them and with them.I have my darling bride of 35 years because of a van.

Thanks for all the comments. I really love these vans and building this has been a lot of fun so far, there are a few parts I'm not looking forward too figuring out and that's the head light bezels and the windshield. I have tons of pictures to study but if anyone has this model van or knows someone with this style van please feel free to post some photos, I can always use more reference photos.

• 1 month later...

To anyone keeping an eye on this project, it's still very much in the works. I'm hoping to have it done around February or summer 2014 at the latest. A good amount of body work is finished and I hope to have the rest done and in primer by the end of the month. Ive been in contact with the owner of the real van, coby gewertz and he sent me a very cool package of church stickers a shirt and his personal build book of the van that he made for the grand national roadster show , so I can get all the little details rite which sadly I had to send back lol, I could of looked at that book forever. I'll post update pictures very soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

post-10513-0-43184600-1384326418_thumb.j

Edited by ridinframe

Just saw a photoshoot of this on Speedhunters and it is a truly amazing van. Now my desktop background. :)

It's a shame no one makes a resin body of an early Econoline.

Your work so far is great and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the build.

Cheers,

Josh. :)

Edited by LordZycon

Back in the early 70's I picked up a 1964 Ford Econoline Van from Pac Bell with left rear quarter panel damage, I think I paid less than $300 for it.

The strange thing about this van was the drivers side was all panel (no doors/windows) while the pax side and rear had doors/windows...must been a special order for Pac Bell.

My brother Keith and I repaired the quarterpanel, rented a spray gun and painted the thing in my parents garage...try doing that today!

Put in a couple of Pinto high back seats, built a bed along the panel behind the driver, closed off the rear with a counter and a propane stove, insulated/covered with wood paneling, mom made curtains and hung a California State flag hung behind the seats

Power came from a little 200ci six with "3 on the tree" tranny.

Overheating was a constant problem with the mid engine, had an extra core added to the radiator plus a tranny cooler...

Threw in an 8 track stereo, later replaced by a cassette player

In the summer of 1973 drove it to the east coast from California and to Colorado in 1974. I worked for a charter bus company in Colorado Springs both summers, ended up selling to a friend who rolled it in on US 50 between Tahoe and Carson City.

I'll have to dig up/scan and post photos of the van

I would love to build a model of my old van, so'll I'll be following this thread with good memories

thanx