Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford Woody

Psychographic

I haven't posted anything in a while. I can't stay focused on any builds, I get them pretty much mocked into shape, then get bored and move on. This isn't fair to anyone following any of the builds, so that is why I've been absent.

This build is for an all ford contest, so I have a goal to finish it and will!

On to the build. A Revell Monogram 48 Ford Woody.

If you know me or are familiar with my work, nothing stays stock, so let the cutting begin. Two doors too many.

P9130411_zps501acf11.jpg

P9130412_zpsf757c7a3.jpg

P9130413_zps6cb1a425.jpg

Throw some wheels and tires on it for a look see. Even though it has a bit of a cartoony look, I like it. Note the body is just taped together at this point.

P9130417_zpsd52eee10.jpg

As much as I did like the catoon look, I felt it needed to come back to "scale", so out came the razorsaw again.

P9130418_zps47a06fe3.jpg

P9130419_zps2827cccf.jpg

Now it's proportions are somewhat back to balanced, it takes a quick second to realize how short is is,

P9130420_zps1ac74722.jpg

Time to start cementing the pieces back together. The first obstacle was lining the front of the newly extended door to the back. There are 3 rows of wood trim that no longer line up. I wound up lining up the bottom of the top "rail" as a starting point. The grooves lined up but the top didn't, a simply bit a sanding cured that. Next was the middle and bottom rails. I cut the back of the middle one out completely (it's under the tape). and cut through the top of the bottom rail the almost the entire length. I tapered a piece of .030 to uses as a filler on the bottom rail.

P9140421_zpsbda28f93.jpg

With just a little filing, the back of the center rail is lined up and cemented in place. Everything lines up now.

P9140424_zps4543d28a.jpg

The body cemented back together.

P9140427_zpscf97cb27.jpg

P9140428_zpseb971b5e.jpg

Shortening up the interior and headliner.

The notch in the floor is to allow the seats to move back and match the longer doors.

P9140423_zpse995f11a.jpg

P9140426_zps3936bf3c.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Thanks for the comments everyone.

With the body back in one piece, it just seemed too sturdy. So lets weaken up by cutting the doors and tailgate/window out.

P9150437_zps1601b4a9.jpg

As the stock frame was too long, and shortening it to fit would destroy that beautiful X support it has, I decided to make my own frame.

I traced the profile of the stock frame onto some .040 sheet, then redrew it with the appropriate amount missing.

P9220464.jpg

Checking it against the body.

P9220465.jpg

I then cemented the rail to more .040 and cut it out, the process was repeated for the other rail.

Some 1/16" rod was used to space the frame out .

P9220474.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I'm using the rear from a Mongram 94 Mustang.

Before cementing the rear together I hollowed out the axle tubes enough for a 1/16" rod to go through the inside ends, then after the cement dried, I cut out the center housing. This needed to be done to get the pinion angle correct.

The pieces ready for assembly along with a new crossmember for the rear to mount to..

P9300530.jpg

You can see in this pic that I'm starting to narrow the rear just enough to tuck the tires. Again cut, drill and pin. The left side is done.

PA010537.jpg

The rear in place. You can also see the additions to the frame for the notches along with new beefier rear crossmembers..

PA010542.jpg

It's starting to look like something!

P9300533.jpg

P9300535.jpg