Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford Woody

Psychographic

Looking great! I like the look of this body after little cutting, just like someone said on the first page, it looks like Morris Wagon or something. And that's not a bad thing! I always enjoy watching your work, and I will be watching this one for sure.

Bought the Wagon Rod while back too, nice Air Suspension and Four Links, good looking body too. But that's all, luckily I managed to sell the engine, wheels and modern interior parts. I'm building Gasser from it right now. B)

I wanted an unusual engine for this build and decided to go with an Offy. I found an old Monogram Midget on ebay for a couple of bucks, and to be safe I got one of the Revell Midget kits as i didn't have much faith in the Monogram version. With my love for dirt racing, I just couldn't ruin the Revell kit by stealing the engine, so I decided to see what I could do with the mess from the Monogram kit.

It took a little work, but I think I've got something decent looking. I found pics of a model of the Offy online, I hope I interpreted them correctly. I've got a few more pieces to make yet. I mated the Offy to the 94 Mustang tranny.

PA120634.jpg

PA120635.jpg

PA120636.jpg

PA120638.jpg

PA110630.jpg

PA110628.jpg

Making the header. For now it will be just the primary tubes. I'll wait on the collector for when the body and frame are further along. The exhaust is going to exit out the front fender.

PA120639.jpg

PA120640.jpg

PA120642.jpg

Now to find some stacks for the injectors.

The driveshaft has been shortened and we're getting closer to a rolling chassis.

PA120648.jpg

PA120649.jpg

Some more work on the engine. I added a fuel rail and electronic injectors to make the engine more streetable. I also made the curved stacks that lead to a finned aircleaner, I still need to make an element for it. I also think I've got things close enough to take a stab at running the header through the fender.

The intake/aircleaner.

PA130655.jpg

PA130654.jpg

The fender cutout.

PA130656.jpg

Some engine bay shots. I think the engine fits well and is definitely different than your average V8.

PA130662.jpg

PA130664.jpg

PA130665.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

The engine and transmission are painted and assembled. Other than a little touch up, throttle and clutch linkage they are done. I think it's a pretty cool looking engine.

The block is an aluminum silver, then I added some satin black to the same silver for the transmission color and all of the bolts on the block. I gave the tranny a black wash, but left the engine bare, the sheen from the silver gives all the detail needed. I had to fight the urge to do all the accessories in red for contrast, instead I did them all in Alclad. the only color is the red of the magneto and the turquoise of the wires.

If you notice, I did find a way to mount an alternator. It looks like the drive for the mag comes around from the side of the block, I added a housing that would hold two gears, one from the mag and one on the alternator. It might not be realistic , but it makes sense to me that it would work.

PA140676.jpg

PA140678.jpg

PA150683.jpg

Is that header painted? If so, what did you use? That looks better than kit chrome... heck, it looks real to me. There is alot of cool things going with this build. Ive got it favorited as I will be using your suspension work as inspiration in future builds. Nice work, bro!

looks like solder.....

nice work!

bryan