Model Cars Magazine Forum

Murphy's Law Model A

TheRX7Project

I call it such because of all the little things that went wrong during the build.
Revell's '31 Model A Sedan kit (regrets), with a 232ci Studebaker V8.

ARod4_zps51fe7af5.jpg

ARod1_zps923301f4.jpg

ARod5_zpsfd639bd8.jpg

ARod3_zps0fdc9cb5.jpg

ARod2_zps6db2d4ce.jpg

Let me start off by saying this model was a LOT of firsts for me. My first time ever using lacquer paint, didn't come out as smooth as I'd like, but I'll be trying it again. My first time ever with BMF and I can see my seams but practice makes perfect. My first time ever using a wired distributor also, was sort of a PITA! Not sure I'll be doing that again. My first time scratchbuilding headers and I think they came out OK. Honestly the whole thing was more of a project than I was anticipating- and probably a bit above my skill level.

Color is Model Master GM Dark Cherry Pearl (rattle can) with 2 coats of Model Master clear. Rear axle and misc silver pieces painted with Krylon Metallic Matte Aluminum- highly reccommended!

Comments, criticisms, tips and tricks all welcome.

A few observations that hit me right off... missing radiator cap, and headers with 3 tubes. What am I not getting here? Are the two center cylinders siamesed somehow, like a flathead?

Yeah I know about the radiator cap- but yes, actually the Studebaker 232 has siamesed exhausts on the two center cylinders.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I found a picture of a Studebaker 232 in a Model A: http://www.google.com/search?q=Studebaker+232&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=58xuUefxNOWwygGQqoCoBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=925#imgrc=EE8bWBw_LLg6kM%3A%3B3Bqc5VYrqWe-sM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi12.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fa238%252Ftrestles126%252FDSC_0157_edited-1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.jalopyjournal.com%252Fforum%252Fshowthread.php%253Fp%253D4643430%3B1024%3B680

Edited by TheRX7Project

that kit is a big dud for revell :blink:

Yeah I ran into quite a few fitment and otherwise issues. Oddly enough the Studebaker engine fit like it was meant to be there, The front suspension wishbone even mounted up to the mouting point on the transmission. I got the kit off the discount rack at the hobby shop, so I don't feel like I "lost" anything on it. It tested every bit of my modelling skill, in some places it won, in others I prevailed.

EDIT: also wanted to note, I put the radiator cap on ;)

EDIT AGAIN: Thanks for the compliments, comments and critiquing!

Edited by TheRX7Project

Think this is an excellent build... anything that gets you out of your comfort zone and still ends up looking decent is a huge success in my opinion. Great work!

Exactly. I've always liked what can be done with all of the Revell Model A kits...with a little patience. Nice bunch of firsts, interesting and unusual engine choice.

Question: Are those the kit tires? I recognize the wheels.