Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge

Fletch

After sending a couple emails. I take it that this more of an invite build-off.

Where are you sending the emails to Charles? I have not gotten a single email that has not been responded to. Gmail forwards to my phone and I get notified anytime a new email arrives.

Either PM me here with your email address or send me an email to dcfletcher17@gmail.com and we'll get it taken care of.

Dave

Mathias;

If you haven't found a '62 grille, I have a '62 falcon that I can clean up and try to produce a resin copy of. That's one of the resons I got the falcon so I could do a 62 Ranchero. Let me know and I will dig it out and see how close it is to Jairus' artwork?

JT

Hi JT,

Ordered one from the Modelhaus, so I should be okay. We'll see when it gets here.

I do need help with obtaining the hood scoop & that funky outside rear-view mirror, looks like it's off of a British car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mathias

After sending a couple emails. I take it that this more of an invite build-off.

Charles sent you a PM last evening with my contact information. There are still a couple of envelopes remaining. Let me know if you're still interested.

Thanks

Dave

Fletch:

Is there a list showing when and where these were published? I'd like to read Jairus's comments to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Mike

Mike, I do not have a list of when the drawings were published, some of them have never been published at all. Jairus himself would be your best source for that information.

But, remember that the idea is to build the best replica of what you can see. If you can't see it let your imagination lead the way. For the email part of the Challenge the entry will be judged on how well you were able to replicate the actual artwork, not the things that you can't see.

Dave

Edited by Fletch

Hey Fletch-

I'm still waiting to hear back from my buddy on which one he selected from the list you sent. Unfortunately he has to go to his son's home to use the computer and answer E-mails. I sure hope that he doesn't pick one that has already been selected. I'll let you know which one ASAP.

Sorry to hear that this has become quite a chore for you. I'm sure the rest of theguys are like me. Fully appreciative of what you are doing. Thanks again.

Later-

Hey Fletch-

I'm still waiting to hear back from my buddy on which one he selected from the list you sent. Unfortunately he has to go to his son's home to use the computer and answer E-mails. I sure hope that he doesn't pick one that has already been selected. I'll let you know which one ASAP.

Sorry to hear that this has become quite a chore for you. I'm sure the rest of theguys are like me. Fully appreciative of what you are doing. Thanks again.

Later-

Not a problem Tom, the ones on that list haven't been given out at all, so we're good there. And yes the Challenge has taken on a life of it's own, it has turned out to be a lot more popular then Jairus or I had ever thought it would be. Honestly, I thought that if there were 20 interested I would consider it a success, now we're right around 50 that are entered or have expressed an interest in the Challenge and it continues to grow. Jairus and I have discussed adding additional Artwork to the Challenge. Depending on the continued interest we just may do that. However, don't assume that being there is a chance of extending the number of entry possibilities that you can wait. You may find yourself on the other side of a deadline with all the possibilities exhausted.

We're a little easier to deal with then the IRS, but we have our limits. :lol:

Edited by Fletch

Not a problem Tom, the ones on that list haven't been given out at all, so we're good there. And yes the Challenge has taken on a life of it's own, it has turned out to be a lot more popular then Jairus or I had ever thought it would be. Honestly, I thought that if there were 20 interested I would consider it a success, now we're right around 50 that are entered or have expressed an interest in the Challenge and it continues to grow. Jairus and I have discussed adding additional Artwork to the Challenge. Depending on the continued interest we just may do that. However, don't assume that being there is a chance of extending the number of entry possibilities that you can wait. You may find yourself on the other side of a deadline with all the possibilities exhausted.

We're a little easier to deal with then the IRS, but we have our limits. B)

i do get a model next year seeing as how i will be an legacy then :lol:

right :)

Eeelco - I haven't forgotten you, I just haven't had a chance to look yet. This "life" and "job" thing keeps getting in the way...:blink:

that happened to me once or twice...today

thanks for taking the effort

i cant wait to see it

got anything in mind youd want in return ?

i happen to have a primo johan cuda shell with only the front end missing ;)

let me know :lol:

We are at 50 Entries, as I noted earlier neither Jairus or myself ever imagined that we would have this much interest. 50 was to be the cut-off however with the fact that interest has yet to subside we will be looking through additional artwork to allow others into the Challenge.

Tonight at the setup for the 40th Annual Bob Paeth Portland Classic Model Car Contest a SABA member brought in a photo of his nearly completed Challenge build. Wow, was all I could say, imagine he's almost completed with his first build (he ask for another) and I'm not even close to getting started on my Challenge build.

So, where is everyone at when it comes to the progress of their Challenge build? Let's see what you've got going on.

Dave

So, where is everyone at when it comes to the progress of their Challenge build? Let's see what you've got going on.

Dave

when from this

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNzAtMjAxMDA0MTAtMTIyM.jpg

to this

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNzItMjAxMDA0MTAtMTQzM.jpg

trying to get to this

challenge34coupe.jpg

im also in the proces of gathering parts, all that i need is a set of headers and hopefully by the end of the week ill have a deal worked out for the firewall

havent made a whole lot pf progress past the chop, i started assembling the engine and i found a set of tires that fit the wheel (kit tires werewider in the back then the front)

all in all i have made a start but im in no hurry seeing as how we have a year to complete this

Still doing a bit of tweaking on the doors as the "gap" between cabs wasn't acceptable to my taste. I got a problem solver and so far it looks like all is a go! So I'll be doin' a ton more work today. ;) So glad to see so much enthusiasm over this challenge myself. A bunch of great modellers here and I enjoy reading and commenting on everyone's work. Keep up the great work guys! Let's see more of the "Progress shots!" B)

Fletch-

Nothing here to show yet, but I am going to the hobby shop tomorrow to get the Tamiya 66 Beetle kit. I have the air intake from a motorized F1 kit that I picked up years ago at a thrift store. I plan to use the engine and whales tail from a Fujimi 85 Porsche 911 that I have on hand. I also have the wheels that Jairus sent to me. Sunday I leave to go to work out of town for a week and I will be taking everything with me. Should have a bit of progress to show once I get back.

I look forward to seeing everyone's progress soon.

Later-

Sounds like every one is on track, I haven't even touched any of what I need for the build. But, I have an excuse I've been at the Portland Roadster Show. Today had a chance to chat with Gene Winfield about his '35 Ford Shop Truck and got some insight for the upcoming build. Then this evening got to spend some time with Jimmy Shine talking about model building. Best Roadster show in the past decade.

Dave

Sounds like every one is on track, I haven't even touched any of what I need for the build. But, I have an excuse I've been at the Portland Roadster Show. Today had a chance to chat with Gene Winfield about his '35 Ford Shop Truck and got some insight for the upcoming build. Then this evening got to spend some time with Jimmy Shine talking about model building. Best Roadster show in the past decade.

Dave

Sorry I missed this one, the ones I went to in the late 90's were really not all that great...

Sorry I missed this one, the ones I went to in the late 90's were really not all that great...

You are correct James, back in the late '90s we were in a constant battle with a show that had no other reason to be other then to create conflict with the PRS. It was a ongoing battle to see which show would survive, both shows suffered greatly because of the situation. The other show pulled the plug last year not only killing the Portland Rod & Custom show but also the Seattle Roadster show in the process. Now the Portland Roadster Show is the only game in the NW, and it shows it with the list of celebrities at this years event. We have Chip Foose, Gene Winfield, Jimmy Shine, Candy Clark from American Graffiti and the new Wolfman. The car count is up as well as the quality of the cars. This year we have two AMBR winners and two Riddler winners on the floor along with some of the most outrageous local cars I've seen in a very long time.

I'll get photos of both the main floor and model contest up tonight as getting through setup and the first day were kinds nuts.

Dave

You are correct James, back in the late '90s we were in a constant battle with a show that had no other reason to be other then to create conflict with the PRS. It was a ongoing battle to see which show would survive, both shows suffered greatly because of the situation. The other show pulled the plug last year not only killing the Portland Rod & Custom show but also the Seattle Roadster show in the process. Now the Portland Roadster Show is the only game in the NW, and it shows it with the list of celebrities at this years event. We have Chip Foose, Gene Winfield, Jimmy Shine, Candy Clark from American Graffiti and the new Wolfman. The car count is up as well as the quality of the cars. This year we have two AMBR winners and two Riddler winners on the floor along with some of the most outrageous local cars I've seen in a very long time.

I'll get photos of both the main floor and model contest up tonight as getting through setup and the first day were kinds nuts.

Dave

TOTALLY JEALOUS!!!! What a great time....hurry up with the pics!!cool.gifcool.gif

Portland Roadster Show - Sounds great, Fletch...can't wait for pictures!

-Got my '60 Chev on hold at the LHS. Will pick it up Tues evening when I go there. Have a set of wheels coming in the mail (Thanks, Ken!). :)

Edited by Tony T