Model Cars Magazine Forum

"big" pickup trucks

Hey guys,

actually I'm interested in fire trucks which are based on pickup trucks. I'm from Germany but living in Canada until next summer. When I'm back in Germany I will build model cars again (I can't do it here) so I want to collect some kits, material etc. so that I can build these trucks when I'm back.

I think of this kind of truck:

truck-rescue1.jpg

So mostly there are used bigger trucks for these vehicles, like Chevy C3500, Ford F350 or Dodge RAM 3500. Are there some model kits of these trucks (I only know the new and a bit expensive Meng F350) or do I have to use die-cast models in 1/24 or 1/25?

And do you know some good websites where I can buy light bars, fire decals and so on? I only know policecarmodels.com with good prices. Maybe you can give me some more tips :)

Thanks and merry christmas to all of you!

Clemens,

Welcome to North America! There are several options when it comes to pickup based fire trucks. Some are brush trucks, rescues, mini pumpers, rapid intervention vehicles(airport fire fighting), etc. It really depends on what you wish to model. Both plastic kits and diecast make good bases for a build. Brush trucks can have pickup style bodies, flatbeds, or compartments as shown in your photo. Many of the other types have compartments as in your photo. In addition to "policecarmodels.com, Don Mills models, mdlbldrmatt135(https://www.shapeways.com/shops/DownRangeProductions1-35th-scale), and SSB Resins have many accessories that you might find helpful. In addition to the board here, the Scale Firehouse is a model forum specifically for the larger scale emergency vehicle modeler. PM me if I can answer any questions for you.

8016-01.jpg

HRIV20.jpg

416-01-1.jpg

BFDM5_01.jpg

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

Over the years, many people have successfully used the rear fire body from the 1/32 Revell Mack Fire Pumper and applied it to a 1/24-1/25 chassis and cab. From the pictures I've seen, it fits perfectly on some of the 90's pickup kits like the AMT Chevrolet C-1500/C-3500, Dodge Ram, and F-150. The Revell Mack kit is currently on sale as it is a re-issue.

Something that could be an issue is what year of truck you're wanting to build. Pretty much anything mid '90s or older will not be an issue, since the basic sheet metal for 1/2 through 1 ton is the same. Once you hit the mid '90s, the manufacturers started using different sheet metal for the heavier trucks. In some cases, it's just the front clip (GM/Dodge), but in others, the entire body of the truck is different (Ford). As far as I know, the Meng F350 is the only late model HD truck kit out there. I have seen a few resin bodies for the 3500 HD Chevrolet, but you still run into issues with an incorrect chassis.

Thanks for your answers. I'm mostly interested in brush trucks, so it seems that I have to use diecast models.

I will do a road trip down the west coast next year so hopefully I will find some hobby shops with a lot of modeling accessories.

• 2 weeks later...