Model Cars Magazine Forum

Studebaker Pick Up

Scale-Master

Well, Mark - I asked Dave Young to contact you about your mistake, but he demurred. Therefore, I must uphold the honor of StudeFolk everywhere by calling you out.

Mark, you're a good modeler - no doubt. Maybe even great! But you've made an egregious error in your automotive history by thinking that Studebaker and AMC were the same company. They were not!

Not only that, but there was quite a geographical difference between the two companies. Studebaker was based in South Bend, Indiana - and AMC was located in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

What you have done is akin to referring to an El Camino as a Ranchero, and no bowtie guy like you would let that pass - would you?

Without meaning to, you have offended a large number of StudeFolk - and to rectify your error (and get back in our good graces), we ask for an apology, and request that you repaint the offending abomination in Studebaker colors and logos.

We await your reply at the forum of the Studebaker Drivers Club, in the following thread.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?80541-When-a-Champ-Truck-Isn-t-A-Studebaker-Any-More

Thank you!

- Chris Pile, Wichita, KS

KS Manager, Studebaker Drivers Club

Edited by Studemax

I appreciate the info Chris, and I know Dave would not want to be caught in the middle of something like this, albeit so trivial (to me).

However, I never thought or stated AMC and Studebaker were of the same family nor made an attempt to connect the two companies as you suggest despite the paint job and graphics on this fictional frivolous custom.

I can understand your assumption, but the reality is this was done for a friend who sent me the Hot Wheels casting and asked me to adapt the R/W/B scheme from the Matador to the this casting. The scheme visually works to my eye. And while it might have been more appropriate on a Jeep Honcho, I'd put it on a Chevy or Ford or Toyota pick up had that been what was sent for repainting.

I have done several "incorrect" cars this way.

I have a Sunoco Celica in the works too, that is just as wrong since the Celica is equated more so to the Mustang than Camaro don't you think?

As far as geographical difference, South Bend and Kenosha are about equal distances from where I am, so I consider it a moot point. (Insert smiley face emoticon)

Sorry, but I will not rectify this apparent affront to the StudeFolk by repainting this one as it technically does not belongs to me.

I apologize if any of them feel slighted, and if you'd like me to make a proper Stude, I'll be glad to take another stab at it and even work with you on the design. Dave can give you my email.

And provided to me after the fact is this stretch of a connection:

From the Studebaker Wikipedia article, occurring after the section about shutting down plant operations, and dealerships closing or adopting other brands:

"Studebaker's General Products Division, which built vehicles to fulfill defense contracts, was acquired by Kaiser Industries, which built military and postal vehicles in South Bend. In 1970, American Motors (AMC) purchased the division, which still exists today as AM General."

Well,

I'm a StudeFolk. Have been all my life and certainly during my ownership of a 1:1 '53 Champion.

I gotta say, I loves the Studes, but I wasn't offended.

Chris is correct that AMC in the 60's was different than Studebaker in the 60's. But Mark's right that over the years acquisitions made strange bedfellows.

The bigger point, I think, is that model building is a personal hobby or craft with plenty of room for all points of view: Factory Stock, Historically Accurate, Concept, Fun, Phantom, the inadvertent faux pas, and even the occasional Sacrilegious.

Remember the Chrysler stock cars in the 50's that were sponsored by Mercury outboard motors? With that big billboard-sized "MERCURY" plastered on the side of that Chrysler, it caused all kinds of confusion. Talk about potential of offending honor!

I've seen Mustangs with Chevy engines, Ford hot rods with Pontiac engines, Studebakers with Chrysler engines. Not a crime in the bunch.

Relax, Chris, and enjoy the hobby and the forum. There's lots of fun to be had here. In a lot of different forms.

Thank you for your swift and informative reply, Mark! I was unaware that this custom was for a client. That certainly alleviates you of any intent to mislead, or simple gap in automotive knowledge.

I do hope you understand my posting was tongue in cheek - if a little on the strong side. Since Dave was loathe to serve as a go-between, I felt I must make my point here on your turf. After all, we StudeFolk are a small, but proud bunch. We often feel misunderstood, and flinch at the many misconceptions about our beloved marque that often crop up whenever car-minded folks meet.

I do invite you to post on the SDC Forum to feature any past or future models of a Studebaker nature. We will enjoy it to the full, especially those who collect Studebaker toys! Drive on, sir! I hope the next time you see a Studebaker on the road or at a car show, you'll grin and salute South Bend's finest.