Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I checked and Brighthouse doesn't carry the channel. Since I'm kinda, sorta stuck in the '60s with music and tye died shirts, it would have been a natural for me.

I'm surprised- Florida seems like a natural market for MeTV, RTV, Cozi, and a the other retro-channels.

Charlie Larkin

We have ME TV in Philly! I only noticed it on Channel 2 recently, but have taped random shows of different old series. I've enjoyed watching old episodes of the Twilight Zone, Adam 12 and The FBI. I've DVRed them so I can watch them quickly without dealing with commercials.

You have to laugh at how simple shows were back then. On an Adam 12 episode I watched this week, a couple of 'bad boys' (who looked like the Brady Bunch boys) went from skipping school to pitch pennies, to robbing a liquor store and shooting the owner within a half hour episode. Of course the same two cops were there from busting the kids chops for pitching pennies in an alley, all the way through the ending shoot out where they had to shoot and kill poor "Benjie".

Aside from the corny story lines, it's fun to watch them drive that '68 Plymouth patrol car and all the cars they pass in LA. Interesting street scenes for sure.

We have ME TV in Philly! I only noticed it on Channel 2 recently, but have taped random shows of different old series. I've enjoyed watching old episodes of the Twilight Zone, Adam 12 and The FBI. I've DVRed them so I can watch them quickly without dealing with commercials.

You have to laugh at how simple shows were back then. On an Adam 12 episode I watched this week, a couple of 'bad boys' (who looked like the Brady Bunch boys) went from skipping school to pitch pennies, to robbing a liquor store and shooting the owner within a half hour episode. Of course the same two cops were there from busting the kids chops for pitching pennies in an alley, all the way through the ending shoot out where they had to shoot and kill poor "Benjie".

Aside from the corny story lines, it's fun to watch them drive that '68 Plymouth patrol car and all the cars they pass in LA. Interesting street scenes for sure.

Your affiliate is running The FBI? That was supposed to be a pretty decent show.

I watch Adam-12, Emergency!, Dragnet, Perry Mason, Mod Squad, the Sunday cop shows, and the occasional comedy.

Charlie Larkin

Your affiliate is running The FBI? That was supposed to be a pretty decent show.

I watch Adam-12, Emergency!, Dragnet, Perry Mason, Mod Squad, the Sunday cop shows, and the occasional comedy.

Charlie Larkin

You are right, it was Dragnet that I saw! Just named the wrong old Quinn Martin show with brand new Fords!

You are right, it was Dragnet that I saw! Just named the wrong old Quinn Martin show with brand new Fords!

Dragnet wasn't a Quinn Martin production, it was produced by Jack Webb's own production company, Mk. VII Limited. ;)

Mk. VII also did Adam 12 and Emergency, I think.

Was Dragnet always Mark VII Limited? I seem to remember seeing an early, early black and white episode of Dragnet from what looked to be the 50's that also had Jack Webb in it, but was before Harry Morgan played his partner.

Dragnet started as a radio show. Then it became a TV series in the early '50s (the B/W episode you're probably remembering), and yes, that was pre-Harry Morgan. The TV series was revived in the late '60s, this time shot in color and with Harry Morgan playing Bill Gannon. Not sure about the radio show, but all iterations of Dragnet on TV were produced by Jack Webb's Mark VII.

Set your DVR, Joe. Dragnet is on METV tonight at 11:30... right after Perry Mason. ;)

Harry, when I was on vacation, in east Tennessee I watched starsky and hutch and the old moving on episodes but here at home I have not found it..

The early early Dragnets carried over from the radio show. Ben Alexander was the voice of Detective Frank Smith, Sgt. Joe Friday's partner. Mr Alexander was born in 1911 and passed away in '69 leaving the path open for Harry Morgan in the later series.

Jack-Webb-and-Ben-Alexander-in-the-1950s

Now that's how real detectives dressed.

Cheap suit, expensive hat and a guilty look

G

Edited by Agent G

Ben Alexander was the voice of Detective Frank Smith, Sgt. Joe Friday's partner. Mr Alexander was born in 1911 and passed away in '69 leaving the path open for Harry Morgan in the later series.

Just the facts, ma'am... When the Dragnet series was revived in 1967, Jack Webb wanted Ben Alexander to rejoin him on the show as his partner, but Alexander had just signed on with another network to star in another TV series. That's what opened the door for Harry Morgan, as Alexander was very much still alive when the "new" Dragnet TV series began.

Da-da-da-da.

da-da-da-da-daaaaaaaaaaaaa....

Dragnet was long before my time, but I did see the '80s movie version w/ Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks. Harry Morgan had a supporting role.

Nothing like the original. I remember my dad watching and I use to watch Perry Mason reruns with him when I was a teenager. I remember him watching Ironsides when it was a new show...

I would have guessed you was older then that Harry... :rolleyes:

Nah, in my early '40s.

As far as reruns, I don't watch a lot of tv and generally only watch shows that are current or recent...I can't really get into old shows from before my lifetime, esp. those in black & white. There are a few '60s shows I've seen that I like, though..Star Trek, The Prisoner, Danger Man, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits (and some of those are B&W)..

As far what irked me today--the haboob that is hitting now...yuck..wind, dust, sand..