Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Bel Air Super Stock Drag Car Hayden Proffitt's Car

Reeves Racing

This is a mostly box stock build of the AMT 62 Bel Air kit. I added plumbing, carb linkage and wiring to the engine compartment and used Slixx decals.

The paint is DupliColor Victory Red on the body and MM Italian Red on the interior. The decals on the seats are home made. I also added some brake backing plates to the wheels

I think some pictures taken outside would look better but we are having rainy skys this weekend. This is one my best models I have ever built.

Alas, the perfect model AWAYS eludes me... I screwed up the rear license plate decal... :)

DSC04612.jpg

DSC04599.jpg

DSC04600.jpg

DSC04601.jpg

DSC04609.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

Wasn't '62 the year of the 427-W "Mystery Motor" , or was that '63 (O/SS or T/SS class) ?

It was in '63 Chevrolets. Here's quote from Wikipedia:

"A special 427 cubic inches (7.00 L) version of the 409 engine was used in the 1963 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe ordered under Chevrolet Regular Production Option (RPO) Z11. This was a special package created for drag racers, including aluminum engine and body parts and a cowl-induction air intake system, along with the 427 engine. The aluminum body parts were fabricated in Flint, MI at the facility now known as GM Flint Metal Center. Unlike the later second generation 427, it was based on the W-series 409 engine, but with a longer 3.65 in (93 mm) stroke. A high-rise two piece aluminum intake manifold and dual Carter AFB carbs fed a 13.5:1 compression ratio to produce an under-rated 430 hp (320 kW) and 435 lb·ft (590 N·m). 50 RPO Z11 cars were produced at the Flint plant. GM Documents exist that show 50 Z11 engines were built at the GM Tonawanda engine plant for auto production, and 20 partial engines were made for replacement/over the counter use. No evidence from GM has been found that show 57 cars were built."

Really nice build, great to see old Super Stockers being built. This Hayden Proffitt car is looking really good- in 1:1 too. You did great job, painting looks good and very sharp build overall.

Thanks guys, this is most effort I ever put into engine detail that didn't look like I globbed it up with glue.

I filed down the mold seam on the radiator (it looked worse in the tight pictures than in life) and painted the tank semi gloss for some contrast.

I forgot to mention I used PE plug wire holder/separators too.

She's so fine. :lol:

The stance is just right - slightly nose up.

I got one of these in the queue (Dyno Don version). Anything to look out for?

Not really, it is one of AMT's finest offerings. This was the Strickler version with Slixx decals.

I wish the front end was a little more detailed but over all I think this is a great kit,

Here are the out side pictures

DSC04632.jpg

DSC04622.jpg

DSC04625.jpg

DSC04623.jpg

DSC04629.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

It looks much better out in the sun Mitch! Very nice looking Impala. Is this the stance out of the box or did you modify the front end? Looks just right either way. B)

It looks much better out in the sun Mitch! Very nice looking Impala. Is this the stance out of the box or did you modify the front end? Looks just right either way. B)

The drag race versions of this kit have the raised spindles. It's might be a tad too high but it gives it the right flavor. The only mods I made where to add some detail pieces. The drag version comes with the headers, slicks, and parts to do a 409 or a Z11 427. It's a pretty good kit.

I saw a restored version of this car back in 09 at a Rod Run and Nostalgia Drags here in Kansas. Hayden even took it down the strip for a pass for grins. He was a lot easier on it than I'm sure he was back in the day... :)

post-4953-0-33210900-1328539920_thumb.jp

Edited by Reeves Racing

That is a nice looking build. Yes, I e of AMT's gems. Very nice work on the paint, decals, and engine details. Stance is great too.

An interesting note - I think the z11s had aluminum front clips? On some photos you can see the inner fenderwells are rippled where the thin aluminum was formed into the well shape - I have some of 62s in the queue and thought of trying to replicate that with thin aluminum sheet.

Thanks for building and posting a nice, clean model.

It looks perfect to my eyes! Does it really need a license plate? It looks like it might have got damaged unloading from the trailer. lol The radiator does look better I will admit. Now I see a seem on the master cylinder but, I wouldn't worry about it. Nice over all job I would be proud of.

• 2 months later...