Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Version Of Bumblebee And First Wip

sidewaze

Well here goes my first WIP and 3rd build since getting back into the hobby a 1-1/2 years ago. It'll be different than the movie since I'm still honing my skills and rather do a build thats simple and nice than challenging and bad. I want to challenge myself every build or atleast adding a different element or skill and gradually getting better rather than frustrated and quitting or putting off.

post-69-1198121797_thumb.jpg

post-69-1198121859_thumb.jpg

post-69-1198121878_thumb.jpg

scott, i too am doing the bumblebee model based on the amt concept camaro kit. the color i am painting my car is tamiya camel yellow ts-34

header_85034.jpg

as for the decals i am getting a set of decals from keith marks he has ones for the concept car. as for the rear plate, i made up one online at acme.com/licensemaker.

6keg76v.jpg

:(

Looking sweet.

What will be different from the movie? Bumblebee was the stock concept Camaro with a Z-28 paint job.

Actually, Bumblebee was a GTO with a Concept Camaro body. While filming, GM was unwilling to put the Camaro Concept in harms way, or lose the time that filming takes. As far as I know they use the same platform (chassis structure).

Edited by Robert81

scott, i too am doing the bumblebee model based on the amt concept camaro kit. the color i am painting my car is tamiya camel yellow ts-34

header_85034.jpg

as for the decals i am getting a set of decals from keith marks he has ones for the concept car. as for the rear plate, i made up one online at acme.com/licensemaker.

6keg76v.jpg

:lol:

That will be the correct yellow, but the movie car has a metallic pearl appearance to it. so you may want to spray Tamiya Clear Pearl to get the same affect as the 1:1

That will be the correct yellow, but the movie car has a metallic pearl appearance to it. so you may want to spray Tamiya Clear Pearl to get the same affect as the 1:1

true, but then again the 1/1 car had front and rear seats out of a 04-06 GTO. I do have a GTO kit but im putting the seats from that kit into an older model GTO for a project. I am just going to do my car as if GM offered the concept in the movie BB's color scheme :angry:.

Looking sweet.

Actually, Bumblebee was a GTO with a Concept Camaro body. While filming, GM was unwilling to put the Camaro Concept in harms way, or lose the time that filming takes. As far as I know they use the same platform (chassis structure).

Just like with any movie using cars in lead rolls, several are needed for various shots,stunts, and etc. GM was more than happy to offer up the Concept Camaro , especially when Michael Bay was offering up a lead roll for it. The catch was that GM only had three cars available(Two Fiberglass Pushers for shows, and One Steel Driver for Press Releases/Etc), none which could be destroyed, so GM offered up the use of their Fiberglass Body Molds,GTO's for modification, and the Steel car for CGI demensioning. GM also had some of their engineers/assembly plant employees on had to help with the modifications of the GTO's to accept the glass bodies.

Just like with any movie using cars in lead rolls, several are needed for various shots,stunts, and etc. GM was more than happy to offer up the Concept Camaro , especially when Michael Bay was offering up a lead roll for it. The catch was that GM only had three cars available(Two Fiberglass Pushers for shows, and One Steel Driver for Press Releases/Etc), none which could be destroyed, so GM offered up the use of their Fiberglass Body Molds,GTO's for modification, and the Steel car for CGI demensioning. GM also had some of their engineers/assembly plant employees on had to help with the modifications of the GTO's to accept the glass bodies.

From what I've read Saleen did the Camaro. A GTO with fiberglass body panels

Ok have some progress here! Primered the body in white. Painted some parts yellow for highlight and left them grey primer to see the contrast difference between the white and grey also for depth. The rotors where paint testors steel and will be highlighted black and yellow on the calipers. I'm using this build to also learn how to use my airbrush so don't be too critical. Anyway here you go and looking forward to some assembly.

post-69-1198864080_thumb.jpg

post-69-1198864097_thumb.jpg

post-69-1198864115_thumb.jpg

post-69-1198864132_thumb.jpg

Well here are the detailed calipers. Did these up with some brushes I purchased from a real small art/coin/frame supply store getting out of art brushes 1/2 price so I spent 40 bucks. Definately worth it ! Think I just might stock up and rotate usage. So what do you think?

post-69-1198874348_thumb.jpg

From what I've read Saleen did the Camaro. A GTO with fiberglass body panels

You are correct, Saleen was hired by GM, as Per Mann's suggestion, but it was GM that supplied the Camaro Fiberglass panels, and the use of their molds to make other parts if needed.

As Per the link Dave Supplied:

To simplify, the bodies were chopped off the two 5.7-liter, LS1-powered GTOs while box frames of steel were welded up to compensate for the lost structure. Then a team led by Jon Zorn in Saleen's showcar body shop grafted on the GM-supplied fiberglass bodies that had been pulled from the same molds used to build the concept car

GM also had a few of its engineers, and other employees on hand, to help the conversions go more swiftly, and also for other reasons(A Ford Pony Guy was messing with their Pony Concept, they wanted to make sure things stayed where they were supposed to.)..

• 2 weeks later...
Well here is a quick update. I've been occupied with home renovations so have to slip in limited build time when possible. Well here is some assembly.

Everything looks good so far. One of my favorite movie cars!!

Just a heads up, but the right side tires are on backwards...

Another tid bit for ya..... I was at my friend's work and saw that the '06 Caddy STS is also the same platform as the camaro. I walked underneath the car on a hoist and it suddenly looked very familiar. I also forgot to mention that I'm going to build the '77 Bumble Bee Camaro, after I finish a few other cars.