Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher 1907 FIAT 1/8th

Pocherphile

Monday, back to work........blah, blah, blah..........but whats this, today was a good day as Mondays go. Short workday, another Hudson Miniature to add to the collection.......a Mercer........happy, happy, joy, joy. And then if that was not good enough, a small packet from my friend in FLA...........2.0mm Brass Squarehead bolts....you know, not the type we use now, but the kind as used way back in tha day. Now work can progress on the frame.

Rick B)

Worked on the radiator some, the radiator was worked over with a file and sand paper to sharpen the shape, bolts installed and the front/rear liquid glued. Then the fun part, one of the areas that always looks bad is the brass strap that goes across the shell of the radiator. This part is about 1/8 too long, and careful file work on each end, then careful shaping of the brass strap and more work w/the file to square and true up the brass part. After several of these under the belt, I have developed a way to get the strap to fit flush and tight all the way across the shell. Careful file work, attach one end of the strap w/a screw used to hold the completed radiator to the frame, then with tiny drops of CA, work the strap across the shell until you get to the other end. Results should be a tight flush fit or at best as tight as you can get. It helps to rough the inside of the brass strap so the CA has a chance for a better bite/hold.

Also look close and you can see where I added square head brass bolts to the part of the frame that is the mount for the radiator. These came from Scale Hardware.com

Will head to the rear and work on the petrol tank and tie the frame together. Remember, all this get painted in a single color and makes for a quick assemble of the frame.

Rick B)

After I paint the frame, the face of the radiator will be blacked out and the photo-etch stone shield will be attached to the front of the radiator.

post-13366-0-06254300-1396826471_thumb.j

post-13366-0-50603500-1396826482_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile

Brass strap looks great. Good to see you back on this. You will be done lightyears before I will..

But I'm watchin'..

Well, considering the parts count of your project compared to the Fiat is about 3 times the parts, and your build is way more complex.

And lets not forget to take into account I build @ a snails pace............ :mellow: . You might beat me to the finish line, one never knows.

It is getting about time for me and the boys to hit the fields and smoke some clay pigeons w/12 ga.'s......... :D

I have a good start and will go pretty fast once I start painting and was thinking this might be the next 1/8th project for me. This is the 4th one of these I have had and have learned much about the construction pitfalls of this kit..........this one will go into the cabnet.

Takes a good year to turn one of these bad boys out.

post-13366-0-75583000-1396913669_thumb.j

Beautiful Rick. Amazing how similar to my RR frame-which came 25 years later. Means the Rolls was using archaic technology??

How long is the whole frame?

Jeeze-even your anvil is polished... :blink:

Almost 19 inch's long, 4 1/2 inch's wide @ widest point of frame. anvil came that way, and if you build Pocher kits, is a good tool to have when working metal. I believe this to be the smallest/shortest of the Pocher kits and is the easiest to build. But remember, it is a Pocher, that means you will work the parts for assembly.

Edited by Pocherphile

"...anvil came that way, and if you build Pocher kits, is a good tool to have..."

So you can drop it on the model in a rage when you're totally fed-up ???? :lol:

:o lets hope not........................ :( not that I have not done something akin to this in the past, you know the plastic slam test against the wall.............!

Yes...it's called 'Destructive Testing'. :(

Destructive testing of your wallet and your head as you stand there pounding it against the wall because you just obliterated a $200.00 kit that is long OOP............does the mfg Protar ring a bell w/anyone! <_<

Rick

Looking at that frame- this is incentive for a Locomobile as well in 1/8. I have been collecting for a bigger version

I have looked @ the frame w/the FIAT and also the ITALA, and guess what..........they are almost identical. So I see no reason that a FIAT frame could be used. I would love to see this done w/a Locomobile in 1/8th scale and Frank you tha man to do it. I have as I stated already, got put together the parts for the 1/16th scale build.

Rick B)

• 8 months later...