Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Roadrunner in 1978 Tapestry Red Sunfire

MAGNUM4342

It's Easter weekend and i'm taking a minute for me. This one hasn't been on the shelf, I just got it yesterday. It's a $16 buck free shipping find and I snapped it up. It will have the 440 6ix-Pack and some of the graphics from the decal sheet. A red and black interior and mild engine detailing. I'm not getting crazy here, just want a slump buster and this is the kit to do it. It's been a while since I had a minute to build one for me and I don't intend to go that long again. So without further ado...

IMG_3042_zps321bc111.jpg

IMG_3044_zpsa64f0209.jpg

IMG_3046_zps3468b5b6.jpg

IMG_3048_zpsf8d3cb65.jpg

IMG_3050_zps818084f9.jpg

Gotta go paint the engine now.

Chrysler code RR7. I got it mixed for me at my local paint store.

Conundrum time. I ususally get stuck on what color to paint a car for some time. This one was easy but now I find myself consternatin 'bout what graphics to use and contrasting color? I feel like the Riddler at the end of Batman Forever..."Questions too many questions...too many choices..." I paraphrased a little but the insanity's the same. ^_^

Edited by MAGNUM4342

What colors are on the decal sheet Kevin? Black and white are always good choices on red, but white depends on how well printed the decals are, you don't want pink! Great color choice too, I need to find me some of that, along with some DY3 for my '72 Charger replica!

The decal sheet has the black hood stripe, red-orange-yellow spear stripes with matching hood spears and the suggested application is thus...

IMG_0001_zps61746e44.jpg

The Plymouth decal is white. My problem is I can't find a way to place the color spears I like. I also have hood and trunk stripes from a 442 kit I like, but I think black doesn't look right on a car this dark red. I think what I might do, is mask the hood and cowl panel to match the black stripe on the sheet but spay it white. That will go with the Plymouth decals i'm using and I think will contrast nicely with the red. I just don't want to go high school ride and get crazy with graphics, but I want the car to have it's own look. I also have a couple of these to use too if I can find them!

IMG_00065-Copy-Copy_zpsae8eb698.jpg

Edited by MAGNUM4342

A little more sanding and the engine will have me right where it wants me.

IMG_3055_zps8a9aeda8.jpg

I also decided if I was going to paint a custom color i'd most likely have a friend with a rack so...

IMG_3053_zps9c927777.jpg

IMG_3054_zps35cdbd0f.jpg

Have to go with the full chassis paint job. I'm just loving this color more and more on this car. Spraycan gave out on the tunnel.

IMG_3056_zps78e16eb1.jpg

The issue I was having earlier with the hood seems to have sorted itself out.

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Personally, I'd skip the stripes in the supplied decal sheet and do something either created with white decal paper or leave it untouched. It's nice and clean without all the extra graphics.

That's a great color. I remember that shade on a lot of F-bodies.

Charlie Larkin

I like it! That paint will look great in an outdoor shot!

The top two are outdoor shots but it was a little overcast so...

IMG_3060_zpsa5e8886b.jpg

Focus on the color! Here's what happens when you use cheap primer. :angry: Guess I can bust out that trademark now. :rolleyes:

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Aaah man what a bummer, If im honnest i dont think its the cheapnes of the primer. But the primer whas not drie yet. That mostley causes the cracking if im correct.

You are actually correct. I only waited a day. I did squeeze out just a touch more paint and get the cracks filled in. Hopefully a wet sand will even everything out and I can continue. I got the engine painted blue and some of the suspension components started. Now if I can just find my fresh batteries i'll get more pics up! :lol: