Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 69 Camaro ProMod 7/22/14 motor painted

Romell R

Hey fellas vacation time is over and its time to get started on another build. Actually I got started on this one a couple weeks ago I never stoped building once the daytona was done.

I'll be fabricating a Reher-Morrison 5.3 nitrous motor from brass and aluminum.

As a side note I will be using parts from my buddy Jim Littken of http://www.micronitro.net/ And from Charlie Of http://www.protechmodelparts.com/ and any other source that will make the job easyer.

Anyway Sassy and I invite you to come along on another journey as we endevour to build a better model.

sassy says Hello......
donedealbuttoned001.jpg

Ok I started with some brass stock and drew my pattern out for the motor block ends, which were then cut out....
donedealbuttoned002.jpg

donedealbuttoned003.jpg

its a good thing I cut out four because my first set cam out loped-sided, sorry I didnt get alot of pics but heres where the engine block is as of now.....
donedealbuttoned004.jpg

donedealbuttoned005.jpg

Oh and before I forget heres what I built a couple weeks ago. The guys at the DSC have already seen it.
donedealbuttoned007.jpg

donedealbuttoned006.jpg

Notice my special jig (which is still under construction) it will help me to pump out the chassis for RR Speed. Hope you enjoyed see ya real soon.

Edited by Romell R

Off to another stellar build I see! Will be following along with eager anticipation. So far great job on the block and chassis. Good luck in the new venture, if I every jump to 1:16, I will definitely be contacting you about some of your creations. Again Good Job!

The Daytona was out of this world!!! I can't wait to see how spectacular build this is going to be! Frame looks very good so far, and I like that engine too. Amazing job, can't believe that you built whole engine block from sheet metal. Amazing scratchbuilding as always, Romell. I will be watching this one for sure, and I hope this gives ideas on my Pro Mod build, which is still in my head waiting for everything. :lol:

Very cool looking Rom..... On that Block do you have closer pics to better see if one cylinder bank sets back further on one side? From the pictures I have looked it for this specific 5.3bore it looks like the passengers side sits back.

This is where I struggled with mine, where you almost need to build it out of solid styrene. Then drill out each cylinder and insert aluminum or brass cylinder walls. I am still thinking of redoing mine this way so I can get the block to turn out better for the valley to insert push rods and lifters.

Either way I am tuned in and waiting with baited breath on your updates. :D

Very cool looking Rom..... On that Block do you have closer pics to better see if one cylinder bank sets back further on one side? From the pictures I have looked it for this specific 5.3bore it looks like the passengers side sits back.

This is where I struggled with mine, where you almost need to build it out of solid styrene. Then drill out each cylinder and insert aluminum or brass cylinder walls. I am still thinking of redoing mine this way so I can get the block to turn out better for the valley to insert push rods and lifters.

Either way I am tuned in and waiting with baited breath on your updates. :D

Bart which 5.3 are you building? Im building the Reher-Morrison Raptor I have the specs book from them thats where im getting my info from.

I put together the heads for the motor to took about 5 hours and I still have to add the springs and rockers. Hope you enjoy

I started whit this and I cut two sides off to make an "L" shaped piece of stock

heads003.jpg

I made this from the "L" shaped stock ....

heads002.jpg

Then I used this.......

heads004.jpg

And ended up with this....Exhaust ports.....

heads005.jpg

still a lil ruff

heads006.jpg

Not quit there but almost done....

heads007.jpg

Cya real soon..... B)

Kewl, just one question, why the cyclenders? I mean your gonna cover them with heads, seems to be more work then need'd, looks kewl anyway....

Im building this as a kit that will later be cast in resin and sold , the kit will include rods, pistons, heads, crank, tunnel ram intake, oil pan, and a few other goodies. B)

Bottom are attaching points to the side are plugs.

Thanks Robert, that makes perfect since now that you say that. Now I feel stupid... :wacko::)

Rom doing brass work sure isn't easy so I have to give you props for taking it on, because I know it is outside of my current modelling skills. I have the utmost respect for you doing what you are doing on this build to test your skills. Based on that pic, do you have plans to go back and fill in those holes and drill them in their proper place?

Thanks Robert, that makes perfect since now that you say that. Now I feel stupid... :wacko::)

Rom doing brass work sure isn't easy so I have to give you props for taking it on, because I know it is outside of my current modelling skills. I have the utmost respect for you doing what you are doing on this build to test your skills. Based on that pic, do you have plans to go back and fill in those holes and drill them in their proper place?

Hey Bart thats a ruff pic i still have plenty of work to do on the heads and I have already filled the holes for redrilling. once the basic shape is finished i will go back and smooth it all out. Thanks for your confidence in my abilitys all of this is still new ground for me so I learn as i go. :)