Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sneak peek .... Lindberg Charger Police Package

SteveG

Interesting, I opened the second kit and found it to be very clean. The first has flash on body parts, and some small engine details. Bad mold alignment maybe?

True not insurmountable, just a pain. The older I get the crankier I am. :lol:

G

Edited by AgentG

What manufacturer are these?

Lindberg

Well, Testors did the Originals and Lindberg modified them into Police cars.

BTW: I have only opened 2 out of my 8 and they look perty clean.

Found a LHS that sells them at $20

An On-line Vendor (policecarmodels.com)that also sells them for $20+shipping (cheaper in bulk :lol: )

So for all those LHS selling for $30,

Shame, Shame, Shame, Shame on you...

Lindberg

Well, Testors did the Originals and Lindberg modified them into Police cars.

So for all those LHS selling for $30,

Shame, Shame, Shame, Shame on you...

FWIW the Testors versions were done by Lindberg, it's always been their tooling, they just were just put in a Testors box. If you look at the box you'll see it mentions the kits being produced for Testors by J. Lloyd Inc.

I can get mine for $17 from my vendor, so extreme SHAME on the guy who wants $30. I've opened all 8 of mine and all of them are clean as a whistle. Although I agree the instructions are exceptionally vague and 2-dimensional in several places, it's nothing that test fitting the parts can't fix. One thing I will commend Lindberg on is that in those assemblies where there are multiple parts being attached to a single piece (think the fan belt) not all of the mounting "devices" are pegs and holes, there's some half moons in there, which eliminates the possibility of sticking the wrong part in the wrong place.

• 4 months later...

My only "problem" is the flat wheels covers, all 3 at work have em, and they actually are depressed, concave inward. I've been trying to figure out how I'm gonna begin to make the wheels more realistic, and every solution ends with major wheels surgery, which will be a PITA, but probably not more than a few nights of work. I can scratch build everything else they did not include...I'm actually very happy with the kit, its just too bad its released as a new version, much better looking, takes its place in real life, and alot more departments are gonna end up using them....

Jeff

• 1 year later...

Here is my plan B)

2006_08_charger.jpg

i have this plan too, when i get some later this year. (if any of you guys in US, know a place where they are discounted, im after 4!)

Im on a couple if US cop cars on FB, and lots of images are 2012/13 Chargers, can you guys tell me quick what the main differances are?

I build all my cop cars kerbside as you call them, as i only do engine bay work, if i goto town with every cable and detail etc.

i have this plan too, when i get some later this year. (if any of you guys in US, know a place where they are discounted, im after 4!)

Policecarmodels.com still has them the cheapest I'm aware of - http://www.policecarmodels.com/li1dochpocar.html

Im on a couple if US cop cars on FB, and lots of images are 2012/13 Chargers, can you guys tell me quick what the main differances are?

I build all my cop cars kerbside as you call them, as i only do engine bay work, if i goto town with every cable and detail etc.

The Lindberg kit is a 2006, but will replicate up to a 2008 without any modifications. 2009 & 2010 have a slightly different taillight configuration.

2006 - 2008

7832391586_394c7ec398_b.jpg

2009 -2010

7263444178_35eba151b9_b.jpg

In 2011 (through 2013) the body and interior were changed entirely. There is a diecast version of the new Charger, but I've seen you mention somewhere else you refuse to deal with diecast - which I don't understand whatsoever - but it's your prerogative.

Old body style vs. New

5005216852_1e049836bf_b.jpg

6953195329_416253052f_b.jpg

Policecarmodels.com still has them the cheapest I'm aware of - http://www.policecarmodels.com/li1dochpocar.html

The Lindberg kit is a 2006, but will replicate up to a 2008 without any modifications. 2009 & 2010 have a slightly different taillight configuration.

2006 - 2008

2009 -2010

In 2011 (through 2013) the body and interior were changed entirely. There is a diecast version of the new Charger, but I've seen you mention somewhere else you refuse to deal with diecast - which I don't understand whatsoever - but it's your prerogative.

Old body style vs. New

thanks, i had a small shipment arive over from policecarmodels, some decal sheets and wheels. trouble is shipping is more per kit or about the same, so pretty steep since they stopped surface mail.

I dont do diecast as im a model maker, i dont want a pre built kit, already painted etc. i want to built it from plastic parts, add more detail as i go along, plus die cash have nothng like close to real door and bonnet opening mountings etc. Even if i did like them, the weight means a huge amount to be shipped over, even worse than plastic kits. I might not be a good model maker but i get the fun out of building them, taking my time etc

Im a 90% military model makers, so its why i go for exact detail, making sure things are as close as the real thing

James, what is on the truck lid of the Delmont PD unit?

That's the attachment lug for the optional back-hoe accessory. Car does shared duty with the Parks Department.

I'da thought you'da known dat. :rolleyes:

Bwahahahaha. No actually it's a mobile interrogation office. They can cuff you to the trunk, lock all your possessions into the little "safes" and then beat you senseless with rubber hoses and taser you into unconsciousness. O.K. so maybe that last part is just how the local ACLU office views being handcuffed to the trunk.

I dont do diecast as im a model maker, i dont want a pre built kit, already painted etc. i want to built it from plastic parts, add more detail as i go along, plus die cash have nothng like close to real door and bonnet opening mountings etc. Even if i did like them, the weight means a huge amount to be shipped over, even worse than plastic kits. I might not be a good model maker but i get the fun out of building them, taking my time etc

Well if you want to add detail you take the thing apart! Most modern diecast (especially police cars which are designed for those who customize a lot of cars) are just held together with some screws. I'm not totally sure (as I haven't tried), but you might be able to replace the chassis and engine insert on the '12 Charger diecast with the parts out of the Lindberg kit if you HAD to have all of that detail. In the 1:1 the dirty bits would be nearly identical, but I don't know how close to 1:24 scale the diecast really is...

I get that you want to be the most exact modeler, especially coming from the military side of things, but the diorama your building of the NYPD wreck is using a Lindberg kit that doesn't even replica the correct body style of the real wrecked car let alone the right year. I get the "inspired" by the wreck part, but if you were being IPMS accurate you would have to get one of the Testors Diecast '00 Crown Vics (which incidentally comes as an assembled kit that you have to build) and then go from there... ^_^

Bwahahahaha. No actually it's a mobile interrogation office. They can cuff you to the trunk, lock all your possessions into the little "safes" and then beat you senseless with rubber hoses and taser you into unconsciousness. O.K. so maybe that last part is just how the local ACLU office views being handcuffed to the trunk.

Well if you want to add detail you take the thing apart! Most modern diecast (especially police cars which are designed for those who customize a lot of cars) are just held together with some screws. I'm not totally sure (as I haven't tried), but you might be able to replace the chassis and engine insert on the '12 Charger diecast with the parts out of the Lindberg kit if you HAD to have all of that detail. In the 1:1 the dirty bits would be nearly identical, but I don't know how close to 1:24 scale the diecast really is...

I get that you want to be the most exact modeler, especially coming from the military side of things, but the diorama your building of the NYPD wreck is using a Lindberg kit that doesn't even replica the correct body style of the real wrecked car let alone the right year. I get the "inspired" by the wreck part, but if you were being IPMS accurate you would have to get one of the Testors Diecast '00 Crown Vics (which incidentally comes as an assembled kit that you have to build) and then go from there... ^_^

Yeah i know it was the next gen Crown Vic, i wasnt too bothered about that. the weight of diecast means its just too expensive to get shipped over, even more than plastic kits and thats bad enough. i can get the odd testors one here, but eq$30 or more just not worth it. Its the actual building of the kit i enjoy to a point, which you dont get with diecast

James, I did test fit with a Lindberg chassis to the 2011 diecast charger body, and if I remember, it fits , so you could , kit bash the Lindberg dirty parts with the diecast body, I am sure it would take some work though to make work

Ok smarty pants, what interior do we use eh?

:lol:

G

G

There's an interior in the diecast. It's a reasonably good facsimile of the real car with the exception that it has a floor shifter. Sand that puppy off there and mount the interior bits out of the Lindberg kit. :D

Yeah i know it was the next gen Crown Vic, i wasnt too bothered about that. the weight of diecast means its just too expensive to get shipped over, even more than plastic kits and thats bad enough. i can get the odd testors one here, but eq$30 or more just not worth it. Its the actual building of the kit i enjoy to a point, which you dont get with diecast

I get the weight thing, but the diecast Charger is like $10, the plastic one is $20. I can't believe (but then again I haven't mailed anything over the Atlantic lately) it costs more than the $10 difference. The Lindberg Charger is like 258 parts, it's not exactly the lightest kit out there, it's also in an oddball sized box which doesn't fit easily into the pre-printed mailing boxes we have here in the States.

There's an interior in the diecast. It's a reasonably good facsimile of the real car with the exception that it has a floor shifter. Sand that puppy off there and mount the interior bits out of the Lindberg kit. :D

I get the weight thing, but the diecast Charger is like $10, the plastic one is $20. I can't believe (but then again I haven't mailed anything over the Atlantic lately) it costs more than the $10 difference. The Lindberg Charger is like 258 parts, it's not exactly the lightest kit out there, it's also in an oddball sized box which doesn't fit easily into the pre-printed mailing boxes we have here in the States.

i picked up 1 of 2 Revell Snaptite Impalas fom my LMS earlier yesterday (today your time). seems pretty simple, no radio or mic so will need to scratch those. its the early 2005, and noticed the rear lights differ from the latter, but got some nice images off Google for NYPD.

I might take a chance on a Testors die cast Crown Vic, i guess i will try most things once.

i used to get 10, 20 or more car kits from US ebay sellers, and come surface, 3 months but very cheap postage...never problems with customs (we have to pay 20% tax on toys, plus fee). looking for airmail, anything less than 4 plastic car kits, the shipping is way too much.

G

I think I am going to have to go with James answer, and I wish my pants were smart :lol: :lol:

So, I just did a test fit , and I was a little mistaken when I said you could take the diecast body and put it on the Lindberg chassis, you can, that part I was right about , the part I forgot was the trimming of the chassis, and even on the inside of the diecast body, Its going to take some work

The wheel wells on the chassis will need to be trimmed some, and thats just the start

Edited by martinfan5

• 1 year later...

wow, i cant believe its well over a year since i posted the above comments.

I did manage to get 5 shipped over, all Illonis ones. Completed one, and using a second kit as a test bed for scratch built items im making.

Would love another 5 or 10 even if i can in the future, end of the year as i really do like the kits (apart from the too flat wheels)

wow, i cant believe its well over a year since i posted the above comments.

I did manage to get 5 shipped over, all Illonis ones. Completed one, and using a second kit as a test bed for scratch built items im making.

Would love another 5 or 10 even if i can in the future, end of the year as i really do like the kits (apart from the too flat wheels)

i scratc built my own push bar as used by the NYPD. Just need to work out the best way to cast it for resin copies