Model Cars Magazine Forum

Window trim when the line between the glass and the trim is not defined

This is the most difficult part of a build for me. Painting (or using a marker on) the window trim. I'm working on the new Revell Ferrari 458 and the trim on the windows is going to be very difficult. I've recently been using a marker to do the trim, but on these windows the trim is not raised at all. There is no defining line between the trim and the glass. There is a small texture to the trim area, but nothing that I can run my marker on. Even when I have window masks, its difficult for me, since I do not have an airbrush. This build is going really well and I don't want to screw it up now. Any suggestions from anyone who has done this kit or worked with similar trim. Any help is much appreciated.

You could try this: Use Tamiya tape (the thin kind that goes around corners) and tape right along the inner edge of the trim on the inside of the glass (you'll be covering up the part of the glass that will NOT be painted). Depending on the shape of the glass, you might need to use separate pieces of tape if there are sharp bends or corners. Once you have taped all around the trim, fill in the rest of the glass with either masking tape or frosted cellophane tape or whatever you want to use. Also cover the outside of the glass with masking tape to keep any paint off that side.

Then spray a light mist coat of flat black on the exposed trim area and let dry. You don't need an airbrush, a spray can works just fine. Another two or three mist coats should give you enough coverage. You want to keep the coats very light so the paint won't run under your tape edge.

The problem with Alex's method (cover the glass with tape and then use an X-acto to cut along the trim edge) is that it works best when there is some sort of raised (or indented) line for the blade to follow. The question here was regarding a case where there is no definite edge for the blade to follow. In that case, when using Alex's method you better have a super steady hand and a lot of luck... because one slip, or being off in your cutting, will ruin the glass... because the knife cut will be in the glass.

By using my method, no X-acto is needed. You define the area to be painted with the edge of the tape... and if you mess up, all you have to do is remove the tape and do it again. There's no danger of messing up the glass.

Also you could use the two side tape that comes in some of the PE sets, This is very thin stuff and I have collected it for a project and it will be a true rubber time seal. You lay it out on the inside of the window along the body and then put your window in place and this will fourm down into the rubber like a true window does and will be between the body post or top window frame and the window.