Model Cars Magazine Forum

I needed some distraction, and these parts kept trying to gravitate toward each other anyway. So, I started to oblige them a little.

FordCCab_Mock_01-vi.jpg

FordCCab_Mock_02-vi.jpg

FordCCab_Mock_03-vi.jpg

Obviously, this is just a mock-up. It wants to be a little longer than stock wheelbase, so I'm sorting out just how much longer. So far, everything is from a Lil' John '27 T and '31 Model A kits. The Model A wires were a bear to clean up...I should have just ordered the Replica's and Miniatures ones and been done with it. lol. Ah well. I'm through that part and it was probably the worst of it on this one. :D

Thanks guys. I haven't felt too well this week but I have been picking away at this. Chassis parts are all cleaned up and the base black is on. I did a "farmer stretch" on the frame by removing the rear cross members and "welding" in the back half of a second frame, moved back to give the extra length I was looking for. The cab is all roughed in. Just needs a floor and final cleanup now and it's ready for the details. Time to get on the engine so I can get the chassis all glued up for good. This won't be a field find but it won't be showroom fresh, either...so making it dirty should be fun. :D

FordCCab_Mock_08-vi.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate it. Making the cab didn't take very long at all but I sure spent a lot of time staring at the thing trying to sort the dimensions out in my head. lol. I had to get past the urge to relieve the cramped interior space before I could let myself see it.

My avatar is an IMP cyclecar. That's the only image I have ever seen of one with a delivery body, and I fell in love with it immediately. When I finally get around to building that, it'll be my modeling thesis...since it will have to be pretty much entirely scratchbuilt. Not sure if I'll do it in 1/16 or 1/8 scale, but it'll be one or the other. Fortunately, the delivery is just a rebody from what I can tell, and there's plenty of reference material available for the regular body style version. Here's the full pic and a decent summary page link. If you ever find yourself needing to get totally and completely engrossed in a thread for several hours, go to the hamb and do a search for cyclecar. Some of them are so freaking cool they kill me. Off the charts on the hot rod juju scale. :P

Imp-Cyclecar-Factory.jpg

http://www.american-automobiles.com/Cycle-Cars/Imp-Cyclecar.html

Thanks, Randy. Yeah, Glenn...that thing is slick as snot, ain't it? One thing that I can't get over is how low the driver sits. These are big for cyclecars, but that makes it look a lot larger than it is.

I got in a rush and painted when I shouldn't have. It was really humid today. I knew better, but then again I usually do and keep going anyway. :D Gun started spitting on me during the last once-over. Not that big of a deal because I planned to use a brush for the final coat as a nod to how it would have been done in the 30's, but it'd have been nice to not need another round of sanding. Ah well. Fenders and aprons up next, while the barn red dries enough to mess with.

FordCCab_Paint_05-vi.jpg

FordCCab_Paint_09-vi.jpg

FordCCab_Paint_11-vi.jpg

FordCCab_Paint_12-vi.jpg

Edited by Gluhead