Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I'm really enjoying this build a lot.

Mark, I can completely relate to that. I feel like I build at a snails pace most of the time. It's just every now and then that I can get a good productive run going. I'm just glad I get those days and am able to make some noticeable progress. And hey, you can take a little credit for this build - it was your own C Cab project that made me get off my butt and do this one! Now I've got at least 3 other C Cab projects that need out of my head. Geez, thanks! :D

A little work on the floor tonight. I need to trim the lower footboard back a little bit so the floor will butt up to the cowl as it should, and scribe some plank lines into it. Then I'll have to sort out the exact locations for the pedals, levers, and steering column and make some holes.

FordCCab_Interior_03-vi.jpg

FordCCab_Interior_02-vi.jpg

Oh man, I really like that you are using real wood. There is a product that Micro Mark has called Age It Easy, and when you put it on raw wood it has a really cool affect. I used it on the wood planks in the bed of my 29 Rat Rod. They have a brown and a gray. Here is a link. http://www.micromark.com/Age-It-Easy-Gray-3-1and2-Fl-oz,7567.html You may even be able to find a rail road guy nearby that would let you bum some if you wanted to try it out first, but I can tell you it is cool stuff and will have a lot of uses.

Um, that is assuming you are building this as a worker tho.

Thanks guys.

Mark - I may need something like that for future projects, so thanks for pointing it out. This one will be a worker for sure, but relatively "new." My little backstory for it in my head has it existing in around 1935, so only a handful of years in service.

I wasn't feelin' the red, so I stripped it all off and started over. It'll get some new color tonight, but I figured I'd oblige Henry in his grave with an obligatory "any color as long as it's black" shot. ^_^

FordCCab_Paint_15-vi.jpg

I have to say I like the black better than the red. The wood floor looks awesome too. I've been using a product on my wood in my Carney '23 T called Genuine Furniture Wax by Tres Amigos. It's a furniture store here in town where we bought our living and dining room furniture and they have now closed all of their Phoenix stores and are only in Tucson. I need to take a road trip soon. Maybe something similar can be found in your area?

Thanks, guys.

Brad - It'll be tough to maintain the floor once it's all together, so I think I'm just going to give it a finish coat of satin clear. I'll have to play around with some scraps to see for sure. I'll be using the same wood and stain for the side rails, but the bed will be a lighter toned straight grain stock for a little contrast. My brother smokes cigars and passed along some cedar wraps that come around some of them...paper is almost thicker than this stuff...so there's definitely a lot of wood happening in this one. Only appropriate, though, since in 1:1 the cab would be mostly wood aside from the cowl and material topping off the roof. I've actually tried to add a little "grain" pattern in the sides and back to express this, but I'll be surprised if it shows once the finish is all done.

Dennis - I haven't left it black, that was just the replacement primer coat and I figured I'd post a pic of it like that just for kicks. It does need color to get the right feel, and it is. This time it's blue. Hood is painted, need to reshoot the cowl and cab. Tons of masking again. Haha.

Well, it survived for 2 weeks in Workbench. I guess it'll have to be happy down here in Trucks where only us hardcores dare to venture. :D

She's back in paint. Looks a little darker in the pics than it actually is in the flesh. It's Tamiya Intermediate Blue (Aircraft color), and is a shade or two more sky-toned. But now I have a quandary. I can't decide if I want the aprons black or body color. Opinions welcome.

FordCCab_Paint_16-vi.jpg

FordCCab_Paint_17-vi.jpg

I just like this shot.

FordCCab_Paint_27-vi.jpg

Not being the automotive historian that you are, I can't back it up with certain knowledge but the black apron just looks more period correct.

Nice build all around (as usual).

(Nice Photoshop work with the color change, by the way)

Edited by Shardik

• 2 weeks later...