Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Pro-Touring Vette

LOBBS

I've been away from the hobby for awhile but just pulled this project back out. Hopefully finishing this one up after so many years will get me motivated to keep building again.

Revell '69 Vette with the L-88 hood and flares from the '68 racing version. Gunmetal with a black stripe and red hashes all from Tamiya. My tastes have changed over the years and this build originally called for a modified widened version of the Cali Wheels Torq Thrusts but after mocking it up with these Aoshimas I may go that route. Same goes for the motor. I had originally planned an EFI'd Hilborn but I may go with a different EFI setup this time around. Still all-aluminum BBC with a T-56 six speed from the Revell '02 Camaro. Interior will be the same Italian Red as the valve covers and seats.

IMG_6109.JPG

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

Thanks Jonathan, I started this project so long ago the original thread doesn't even show up anymore in a forum search. I guess they cleaned house while I was away.

Edited by LOBBS

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good day around here. One of the major reasons this project has stalled out several times was due to the fact that I wanted to do a full C5/C6 suspension conversion. There was a company that did a chassis conversion for C2/C3 Vettes but they never posted any good up close pics and never responded to any of my emails requesting them. I believe they later went out of business.

Today doing some random internet surfing I turned up a company in Alabama called Street Shop, Inc. Their site is a treasure trove of reference material. I also found a link on the Pro-Touring site where an owner documents a build of their chassis for his '64.

This is exactly the kind of info I was after to get this build going again.

http://www.streetshopinc.com/chassis-packages/c5-and-c6-suspension-for-your-1953-1982-corvette.html

Here's the completed '64 chassis but the C3 is very similar.

6dwh9h.jpg

Edited by LOBBS

Fantastic work. I'm wondering though if the sheer diameter of those wheels will allow you the ground hugging stance most serious pro-tourers have.

I checked the diameter of the Aoshima tires versus some Revell Z06 Vette tires and they're not much different. They are also shorter than the Cali Wheels tires that came with the kit. I'll get them tucked up as tight as possible. I'm also using the headers and sidepipes from the Stars and Stripe kit which will help visually lower the Vette.

Nice color combo with the gray & black.

... and by all means gitter done in time for the Heartland. This years theme is the Vette !

I'll do what I can. I've got to track down a Dana 44 IRS rearend from the newest Revell Viper tooling to do the suspension conversion. It's the closest one in scale to the M50 they are using. Edited by LOBBS