Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '59 Ford Skyliner

imatt88

The box may say 1/25th but if you measure it out or compare it to other kits it's bigger, closer to 1/24 :huh:

I don't think so. If that were the case, that would make the AMT 59 1/24th scale as well. On top of that, I kitbashed one of these with an AMT '57 and the parts fit perfectly. The only thing 1/24th scale in this kit are the Monogram wheels and tires they put in the Skip's Fiesta issue,

57Retractable02-vi.jpg

Yes, it was issued twice. The one with the "50 Years of Revell" band was actually released by Revell-Germany. They did several SSP-style kits in "original" box art as part of their 50th Anniversary, including the '59 Skyliner. It happened before the US SSP issue at the bottom of your post. Pretty sure the Skip's kit made a earlier SSP appearance too.

I built the Skip's version as a teenager in the late '80s. It was my first 1/25th scale multi-piece body kit..I remember opening the box and wondering where the body was... I still have a scar on my thumb from a X-acto knife cut from that build. It is a kit that builds up quite nicely with care and attention--lots of test fitting needed.

Edited by Rob Hall

If I were building this today (built one back in the early '90's), I would swap out the kit tires and put on something smaller. To my eyes, the tires look GIGANTIC compared to the rest of the car..............at least the "Skips" version did. The wide whitewalls to me simply add to the size. :blink:

Just my 2­¢ worth...........

If I were building this today (built one back in the early '90's), I would swap out the kit tires and put on something smaller. To my eyes, the tires look GIGANTIC compared to the rest of the car..............at least the "Skips" version did. The wide whitewalls to me simply add to the size. :blink:

Just my 2­¢ worth...........

Hmm...I've never compared them, but I wonder if those are 1/24th tires w/ whitewalls in the Skip's version...IIRC, they are like the Monogram ones w/ the plastic white wall inserts (like on the '58 Thunderbird).

Hmm...I've never compared them, but I wonder if those are 1/24th tires w/ whitewalls in the Skip's version...IIRC, they are like the Monogram ones w/ the plastic white wall inserts (like on the '58 Thunderbird).

Yeah Rob, they have to be! To me they look soooo big! I'd sooner spend the money on some nice wide whitewalls from The Modelhaus, or scrounge around in my parts box.

That is an interesting detail, never noticed the size of the tires in particular. The Skip's version is the only version of that kit I've built, though I've in more recent years bought the SSP version (molded in green) and a '70s issue (yellow on the box)..never compared the tires.

If I build another one, I'd probably go for a mild custom look w/ smaller tires w/ wire wheels. I've also long wanted to do a phantom '60 Skyliner by kitbashing the roof w/ the AMT '60 Starliner...

The 1975 reissue had correct skinny rubber tires and stock wheel covers. Before that, the 1959 issue had plastic wheels you had to paint, but the size was okay.

We all agree that Revell raided the 1/24 Monogram parts bin to get wide white walls for Skip's.

I am guessing that the later SSP copies of the original Skyliner kit had correct size wheels? I never bought one.

I have several of these - a couple of built ups and one or two new ones. Having a 1:1 '59 Ford Fairlane 500 hardtop kinds makes any '59 Ford model a must have.

Not to steal anyone's thunder, but if you want a '59 Ford 2 door sedan, Tom Coolidge ( Promolite Models ) sells a resin kit that'll take your breath away! It is without a doubt, the nicest and best detailed kit that I have ever seen for the money. I could not believe the fine detail - I do not think that he missed a thing! It's not the cheapest kit out there you get what you pay for and in this case, you get even more. If you really want quality and lots of extra goodies that came to me as a total surprise, ( police radio, siren, even a police dog!! and more )the model is well worth every cent and more. I was a local hobby shop recently and Moebius kits are over $40.00 after taxes and I'd put Tom's products up against any other manufacturer any day. I do not know why Tom's name doesn't appear more often on these boards because he is on par as a businessman and a person with the very best that are ot there and definitly head and shoulders above the average..

Edited by impcon

I second that about Tom's products! I recently got a 1959-60 GM 2 door sedan roof section from him, and it was very cleanly cast with nary a pinhole! Also, he's a real nice guy as well to deal with--------here's a pic from his Fotki page of one of his '59 Fords built by Paul Hettick.

hettick552-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the RoG SSP 50th Anniversary issue and can try to dig it out and check the tires.

Back in this thread the pic's I posted, I show a restored Turq/White one with OLD Rev

White Stripe US Royal Masters, They are definitely more accurate than the Monogram

Wide-white side insert tires that Rev USA put in the Skip's issues.

Also Notice that RoG's reprint of the Original 59 Box-art Does state FAIRLANE 500 and Not

Galaxie!!

Then see that Rev USA Goofed it again and called it a Galaxie

I too have to agree about Tom Coolidge.

I was looking at buying some of his 59 Buick parts, but he said he no longer made them

I got a Box of parts from him FREE!!!!

Wish I had the $$ I would order that 59 Ford!!!!

I did show I LIKE them!!!!!

There just one thing I don't like about this kit. It's the engine. Not very much detail, and not my choice if I had bought one in 1959. I would order the 292 Y-Block. The Revell kit has a poor excuse for a FE.

Also not a fan of convertibles (even if a retractable), and that's why I went after a original annual AMT for my Galaxie collection.

9489140069_5ffc39fcc9_c.jpg

9489143233_ee406b6492_c.jpg

9491941420_7df5a0ac63_c.jpg

"Also Notice that RoG's reprint of the Original 59 Box-art Does state FAIRLANE 500 and Not

Galaxie!!

Then see that Rev USA Goofed it again and called it a Galaxie"

I own one of these 59 Skyliners and they were Fairlane 500s first and when Ford came out with the Galaxie roof line, the Skyliner got folded into that sub series (after all, it had the roof already.) The Galaxie versions still said Fairlane 500 on the rear as that chrome trim was unique to the retractable and Ford didn't want to go to the expense to retool it.