Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best 512 TR?

Tamiya also makes a 512, though I've only built the Monogram convert. Having some fit issues getting the body to sit down on the chassis. Most noticable on the sides. But heres the Tamiya offering (box anyhow)

post-9517-2101_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scuderia

I've built the Monogram (Revell) Testrossa Spyder and had fit problems, haven't built the coupe but assume some of the same fit problems would be there. I've built a number of the Fujimi Ferrari kits and they are nicely detailed, go together well although many are curbsides.

The Tamiya Testa Rossa is a curbside.

Weird, the one I've got isn't. It's a full detail, shares the engine and suspension with the Mythos kit. It's actually really nicely detailed.

However, the 512 BB kit I've got IS pretty much a curbside. You can tell it was originally set up to be motorized.

Edited by Deathgoblin

Testarossa, 512TR, and 512BB are all different cars (512BB is 20 years earlier and much different car - 512TR is an evolution of the Testarossa) and each have been by several manufacturers. There's a lot of confusion on this thread.

Tamiya never made a 512TR, only a regular Testarossa. It's a full detail kit.

Monogram's 512TR is basically their Testarossa with a new body, interior is basically still the same.

Tamiya never made a motorized 512BB, that's probably a Marui or Otaki kit.

I wish I had more first-hand info to share, but I've only built the Monogram Testarossa years ago. Most 512TR's I've seen built are the Revell/Monogram, but it seems like most reviewers give the edge to the Fujimi or Rosso kits.

I've got the Rosso and the Revell 512 TR in my stach and after carefull examination I think I prefer the Rosso.

Although it does not have a complete engine, just a simplified one.

The body has a lower, more sportscar-like stance. It is less bulky than the Revellogram offering.

I do not know who's got the dimensions more right but I'm guessing Rosso.

The 512 TR has a more rounded appearance than the Testarossa and I feel Rosso captured that better.

Rosso's mainly has seperate vents, which saves a lot of time masking, the wheels definately look better, so do the tires.

I'm not aware of any fitment issues withe the Rosso 512 TR but I haven't built it yet, Revellograms however has a bad reputation and as mentioned before, it's really a Testarossa withe a 512 TR body on it.

On the plus side: Revell has reissued theirs in a very appealing new box, unfortunately it is not a new tooling but easily available...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

While the underpinnings look very familiar (Fujimi) the Rosso body much better resembles the 1:1 in its nuances (specifically the engine cover & front and rear valences). Plus, the engine cover insert and taillight grilles are separate pieces (not so on Fujimi's) making for much easier painting.

I have all three TR kits (Rosso, Fujimi & Monogram) and, IMHO, Rosso is clearly the best. That said, I do think they reverse-engineered the Fujimi kit and then improved the body.

I have a Rosso 512TR and a Fujimi 512TR in my stash. They are the same kits in different boxes! I also have a Tamiya Testarossa and it has always been my intention to mix parts to build a full detail 512TR someday.