Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drag Radials?!

• 5 months later...

Sorry, no they are not. I know its been a really long time and I wish I had better news, but I do not. This is on indefinite hold for now. I know Ma's resin is/was working on some of his own, so perhaps check with Alan as he does offer the best tires in the biz.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, thanks for the kind words Mike! I think your work is just as good :)

Here's the 1st shot out of the mold:

100_2117-vi.jpg

I tried to get as close as I could to the middle "PRO D.O.T." tire:

100_2119-vi.jpg

100_2118-vi.jpg

Size is 275-60x15, 10" tread, 28" dia in scale. Stencils will be included with each order. I will also be making the tire on the right in the 2nd photo. These will be available as soon as I get the stencils in. Any other sizes that might be popular??

Thanks for looking :)

I have a real hard time visualizing the size of scale stuff. Is it possible to post a pic next to tires that come in your typical muscle car kit, say a Mustang, Camaro, or otherwise?

I would also think this tire would be quite useful for 18 and 19-inch wheels that come on the newer cars.

Finally, are you also going to make wheels that fit these?

When they're available, I'll probably order a few sets right off the bat.

Any other sizes that might be popular??

I'm going to order a couple pair of these, but you'd probably get a huge response if you did some 325s in 28" diameter. 275DR racing is growing, but the bigger drag radial racing is already huge. I know if you did some 325s I'd be in for a half dozen pair, at least. :P

Thanks for all the good feedback guys :PB) Hoosier does make a 325-50x15 size so I could make them too. Since both sizes are 15" most kit wheels would work.

Here is a comparison next to a F70-15 kit tire:

100_2123-vi.jpg

And here are the steps to the finished tire:

100_2122-vi.jpg

An aluminum master is made to the correct scale dimensions, a resin blank is cast from it, the resin blank is machined with the tread pattern & then a final mold is made from the resin master. There are 32 of those little slots on each side. A .020" end mill was used to make a slot .007" deep over a 2o arc. The tires are cast from 70 durometer urethane which is flexible, but firm. The lettering was sprayed using Krylon flat white. It dries fast & stays flexible.

Any other questions/comments are welcome :)

Since I don't see a lot of racers using the Hoosier DR tires, I'm curious how hard it would be to replicate the Mickey Thompson "tread" on the wider version. Seems like the majority of guys I see are running the M/T tires. Either way, if you make the 325s, I'll buy 'em!

The only change I'd make on them is to maybe round the shoulders a bit, so they've got more of a "radial" look and less of a slick tire appearance.

et_street_radial_a.jpg

Edited by Mark Brown

I think I'm going to partially retract my previous post. After doing some research, it seems that most of the DR community is about evenly split between the Hoosiers and MTs, and since there's already a couple guys making MTs, you'd probably be better off making the wider Hoosiers. And after looking at your 275s a little more closely, they look just great as they are - don't change a thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to partially retract my previous post. After doing some research, it seems that most of the DR community is about evenly split between the Hoosiers and MTs, and since there's already a couple guys making MTs, you'd probably be better off making the wider Hoosiers. And after looking at your 275s a little more closely, they look just great as they are - don't change a thing.

Around here I would say the hoosiers are out numbering the M/T in 275DR pretty significantly. On the other hand the M/T still seems way more common on the outlaw drag radial cars. I would love to see a 315/60/15 M/T for some outlaw builds.

• 2 months later...

First Post. This thread got my attention to the point I felt I needed to speak up. THe only reason I got into model cars was to build a car that replicates my acually mustang. I'm building a few "practice" cars now until I'm confident enough to start the build.

Anyhow, I would be EXTREMLEY interested in those M/T Drag Radials...particularly for a 15" wheel, maybe to the tune of 275/60/15's, but any of that tread would work. For anyone with the ability to make this happen I would definately be willing to pay enough for the cast to be worth while. Just some food for thought, maybe its an old, dead thread but I figured I get in on it.

Thanks, Ryan.

• 2 weeks later...