Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any New Information on Revell 40 Ford?

Interesting. The Good Guys box art shows an opening vent window and the new shot doesn't.

One thing... the 1940 Ford coupe I built when I was a kid had a grille like this one. Why the difference and when was it changed?

1940_Ford_Model_01A_De_Luxe_Coupe_JGB.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Interesting. The Good Guys box art shows an opening vent window and the new shot doesn't.

I think it's just the angle and shadows with make the vent window look "open", but I think it's fixed in the "closed" position.

The new Revell Monogram reissue's box art shows the vent windows removed or missing, though, which seems odd:

REV_49931.jpg

I try not to put too much stock in the non-box art images, since they sometimes contain errors and omissions, but in this case, I see no sign of the vent windows.

Now if someone would do an AMT vs. Revell '40 Ford coupe comparison, that would be great.

One thing... the 1940 Ford coupe I built when I was a kid had a grille like this one. Why the difference and when was it changed?

The difference is that in many late 30's and early 40's products, Ford Motor Co. offered different trim levels in any given model year, with lower priced models typically utilizing trim styling cues from the previous model generation's Deluxe version. Your photo and the early AMT kit depict a '40 Deluxe Coupe, while the Revell/Monogram Coupe new tool depicts a '40 standard grill rather than Deluxe.

http://www.motaa.com...40fordshore.jpg

http://www.relicsand...d-Howardson.jpg

In these two images the Standard Grill is on top, Deluxe on the bottom. The '40 Standard grill is very similar to the '39 Ford Deluxe, while the '39 Ford Standard is closer to the '38 Ford Deluxe.

http://www.cruisenew...Feature-Top.jpg

http://www.cruisenew...rdCoupe-Top.jpg

The AMT kit has the exhaust molded to the chassis, metal axles complete with holes through the engines, it has an optional Buick nailhead motor, very soft interior detailing, very dated custom parts, and just general oldness. It's not a bad kit but such a popular subject deserved a new tooling. It's a shame the didn't give you the option if which grill to use, I'm not a fan of the 39 grill. Both kits are 1/25, I haven't had the Revell kit in my hands yet but it should be up to their current standards of goodness.

Has someone tried fitting the AMT '40 Deluxe grille and hood on the Revell body?

EDIT: I just compared the AMT kit and Revell Goodguys kit side by side and the grill is pretty much the same size so it wouldn't be difficult to use the AMT grill on the revell kit, as long as you change the hood too since it's a little different.

There is also a Revell 1940 Deluxe convertible. I haven't opened mine yet, but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to swap front from the Deluxe to a Standard.

This is the kit I'm refering to

REV_2344.jpg

Edited by CEKPETHO BCE

since I haven't opened my "Goodguys" version yet (don't really want to rush these things ya' know) I was wondering what rear axle does this kit have? I assume it's not the Columbia two speed? Thanks for the many answers I know I will get, Del.

since I haven't opened my "Goodguys" version yet (don't really want to rush these things ya' know) I was wondering what rear axle does this kit have? I assume it's not the Columbia two speed? Thanks for the many answers I know I will get, Del.

Sounds like it is a Columbia 2-speed rear, at least from the info in this topic: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56290

AMT's 1940 Ford Coupe is a model of the 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe. Tooled and released in 1959, it was way out there for that era--opening hood, engine (two actually, the stock 221cid Ford Flathead V8, and a 401cid Buick "nailhead" V8). The kit also brought separate suspension detail (albeit solid front and rear axles with transverse leaf springs (the way Ford built cars up through 1948). It was a great kit for the day, and is still fun to build, but it's definitely not "up to 21st Century Standards" in the eyes of a great many model car builders today).

Revell's 1940 Coupe is the 1940 Standard Coupe. Where Deluxe was Ford's top line, Standard was the bottom line car. Revell started their lineup of '40 Fords with the '40 Ford woodie station wagon, in deluxe trim. Following that came the 1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible--both of which have exactly the same front end styling that AMT produced with their 1959-era kit. The third in the series is the 1940 Ford Standard Coupe. Now ,it is possible to modify the Revell '40 Ford Standard coupe to a Deluxe, by cutting away the Standard grille, and swapping in the Deluxe grille from either of the other two kits they produced. This allows the use of the Deluxe hood as well, and by using the Deluxe dashboard from the convertible or station wagon in place of the Standard dash that is a part of the Coupe kit. Interestingly enough, the Coupe retained the interior panels, seat and steering wheel of the Deluxe kits. Conversely, it is also possible to change the Revell 40 Ford Station Wagon from Deluxe back to a Standard (Ford made station wagons in both trim levels in 1940, but the Convertible came only in Deluxe trim that year.

In contrast to the much older AMT kit tooling, Revell's kits are very much state-of-the-art for today--lots more detail underneath, and in the engine bay. In addition, AMT used their then-new 6:50-15 wheels and tires, where Revell was able to justify all new tire tooling, giving their kits the much more correct appearing 6:00-16 wheels and tires.

Hope this helps out a bit!

Art

I think you were thinking of Revell's '48 Ford Woody, Art, as I don't think Revell has yet produced a '40 Ford Woody.

Or maybe you were thinking of this one ;) : http://www.rocketfin...uct.cfm?id=2156

You are correct, I was wrong!

You are correct, I was wrong!

Now that I've dropped the suggestion, how's bout it, Revell?????

Art

A lot of 1:1 hot rods omit the vent windows and use a 1 piece side window. This may be Revell's intent.

I just got two copies of this one and look forward to building them. Looks like an all around great canvas.

Yes, it is.

I'd like a Woody, pick-up and sedan all based on that kit. Like they do with the 32's.